Wood ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pullmore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I went today and cut up an oak tree that had fell down. This tree was beside it and was dead. The land owner said it was a shagbark hickory and I could cut it if I wanted to. The other hickory trees I have cut where not shagbark and the wood did not have any red in them like this wood. Also I did not see any hickory nuts around the tree. Is this a shagbark hickory or something else. Thanks for the help.

IMG00004-20110330-1408-1.jpg

IMG00008-20110330-1410.jpg

IMG00005-20110330-1409-1.jpg

IMG00011-20110330-1454.jpg

Could be shagbark hickory. No nuts around isn't uncommon. Younger trees don't produce them. Older trees produce them, but the yield can vary greatly from year to year. Once on the ground, the nuts seem to disappear rather quickly here--critters love them.

It sure looks like it could be shagbark, as the tree matures you will find that the bark becomes more "scaly" and your can peel it off in long strips.

Ok thanks guys. He has 3 more that is dead I can cut. Looks like I will have a good bit of Hickory for next year.

Is that picture of a split piece or cut. I've never seen shagbark hickory split that easy before. Could be some more oak.

Shagbark Hickory has an alternative name, Shellbark Hockory which is common in Arkansas, mores in the Ozarks.
The split piece shows spalt in the pith and heartwood. That is prolly why it split so easily because non-spalted hickory is tough to split.
You will have some great firewood...give it 15 to 18 months drying time.:clap:

The first pic of the split I cut it in half with the chainsaw and the second pic I split with the maul. I split some of it today and it splits like the other type of hickory I have had before. And it is heavy.

Back