Wood ID Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqavarna Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys maybe you can help. I think it's some kind of maple but not sure?

Attachments

• 20140418_195709.jpg
    20140418_195709.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20140418_195642.jpg
    20140418_195642.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 135
Looks like white oak more so than the maple I have come across,

Sugar maple, far as I can tell from pic with bruised bark. Clearer pic would help a lot. :chop: It'll burn. Sugar much higher density than red.

Judging from the bark and being from Co. i would guess Cottonwood like Black Locust said. Any other pics?

You really need to add a couple more pics . If I had to make a guess I'd say silver maple . Whatever it is it appears to be from the maple family

Dries pretty quick, 1 season will do as long as its not large splits. Burns fast, coals poorly, good shoulder season fuel. As long as its free and close to home I grab all I can. Some of the silvers around here can get huge esp. yard trees.

silver maples grow like weeds around here, and the slightest storms break them like richard simmons at boot camp. I never turn it down unless it's gone sponge. Here is a photo of some scrounged silver maple in the bed of the 5 speed audiblefart mobile.IMAG0122.jpg

Thanks guys. I took down another maple for my neighbors and it has darker bark and is very heavy even after drying for 3 years. What kind of maple would that be?

Back