Wood ID...Locust, Ash or Trash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like my Kansas bretheren, definately piss elm... Siberian or chinese elm not sure the difference in the two. Definately what I burn the most of. I run it as my "day wood" when i'm up and can tend the stove closely. I save oak, ash, hedge for my "night wood." Does alright works best if you mix it in with ash, oak, etc. You'll be loading the stove every hour or so. Were very popular for conservation work and state forest folks would pass them out like candy. Homeowners would love them as they seem to grow very fast. They do have a rich rust color to them almost like walnut and a weired odor to green wood but no smell burning. Stringy splitting green... I have great luck after letting sit a year or so. There are so many dead standing around here damn, i get sick of those things!

Long story short get it and burn it especially the way it's laying there but don't count on it like money in the bank.

From the heartwood color, bark and look in the photo, it looks like Siberian elm, or a hybrid. It could also be walnut. Walnut is far more common than elm these days. Siberian elm is extremely susceptible to bugs. It is not honey or black locust.

2 different trees for sure.
And a little hard to be 100% from pictures.

Looks like pecan and walnut to me.

I didn't even think to look closely at the other trees , thought they were all the same. I stand by my Siberian Elm for the 2 and the one on left back with rotten trunk at the cut up high looks like it's probably Red maple.

After so many inquiries...the guy decided to just keep the wood and mix it with coal/kersone to keep warm.
The last straw was somebody sawing into the stumps without asking @ 4:00am...
Always one in every crowd...
Oh, well the "Great Wood Scourge" rolls on...:popcorn:

Siberian elm. I have taken 3 down in the last year around the house. Cut it into rounds soon and it may be good to go by 2015! Very wet wood in my experiences.

Siberian elm. I have taken 3 down in the last year around the house. Cut it into rounds soon and it may be good to go by 2015! Very wet wood in my experiences.

Yeah you ain't kidding! I have probably 20 acres of my place INFESTED with those God forsaken weeds! So thick you can hardley walk in there.

Super wet stuff - remind me of those jungle vines you can cut and drink water from. I could almost fill a glass with what runs off the stumps.

The boss at my summer job used to clear trees for the highway dept in OK. He said they told them that those and red cedars with a 6" diameter trunk would suck up 8 gallons of water a day!

Latest posts

Back