Wood Id please...stinks to high heaven it that helps...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

Went to the park yesterday to buck a couple trees that the park service took down and when I cut this one up it let out the stinkiest high-pitched funk that I'd ever smelled...whew:dizzy:! I have no idea what it is but I hope it burns nice once it seasons. Any ideas? Thanks

It looks like cherry, but I can't imagine cherry stinking. I have smoked some really good hams using black cherry.

Maybe it is soured, I normally like the smell of red oak, but I have split some that smelled like dog poop.

"I do not like the smell of dog poop !!"

black cherry to me, its fine stuff. Not your upper echelon but middle of the pack in my book, worth the effort.

Looks a lot like Black Cherry. White ring and the Bark gives it away.
Burns hot, and coals out real nice. One of my favorites because the smoke is actually pleasant smelling.

Never noticed cherry having a foul funk to it except when it was laying on the ground before splitting.
Then it stinks like a sealed up and damp basement for a while.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'd call it Cherry, also.
I take all of it I can get my hands on.
Generally grows pretty straight, splits pretty clean and stacks nice and tight.
Smells great when burning, a little tossed in the charcoal grill good with most meat.

Last edited:
I'd call it Cherry, also.
I take all of it I can get my hands on.
Generally grows pretty straight, splits pretty clean and stacks nice and tight.
Smells great when burning, a little tossed in the charcoal grill good with most meat.

Maybe if forest-grown. Grown in the open, black cherry is the twisties, forkiest instrument of torture growing in this region. For some reason also, wood of open-grown cherries is very twisty-grained, difficult to split.

Guess which version came my way recently.

Looks a lot like Black Cherry. White ring and the Bark gives it away.
Burns hot, and coals out real nice. One of my favorites because the smoke is actually pleasant smelling.

Never noticed cherry having a foul funk to it except when it was laying on the ground before splitting.
Then it stinks like a sealed up and damp basement for a while.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The consensus seems to be black cherry. Dinger's right in that it had been down for a spell. I dunno, maybe a couple weeks at most. As I recall, this particular tree appeared to be broken off at the base of the trunk. Wind blown maybe? The wood at the base was very brown in color and looked like it may have had some type of insect damage which may have added to it's demise. Man this stuff is putrid...looks like I'll be getting a whiff of it for a while yet until it seasons even though it's actually pretty dry already.

One more cherry vote. I cut some yesterday I noticed it had a sour kind of smell to it. Not near as bad as oak or popplar when green. I have been around some red oak I check out the bottom of my boots alot.

Looks like black cherry to me. Never known it to smell bad but sometimes fresh cut/split wood does have an oder. It is a beautyful wood and is decent firewood.

Looks like Cherry to me also. Cherry is usually a pretty sweet smelling wood.

Maybe that tree was in the area of the park where everyone walks their dogs. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back