Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How easy does it split? I use a 10 ton Greyhound manual splitter at my house and Bradford will dig to the wedge, in get tight, and then pop like a balloon, and the bark looks like the stuff i get here, but then knowing Va Beach the stuff here might very well be some mutant hybrid Australian Pine and some strange French shag fur :)

Looks like Norway Maple to me ... then again there's no Bradford Pear around here.

Norway maple is relatively soft, splits easy .. not a lot of heat content though, but, better than nothing!! :msp_thumbup:

Looks like Norway Maple to me ... then again there's no Bradford Pear around here.

Norway maple is relatively soft, splits easy .. not a lot of heat content though, but, better than nothing!! :msp_thumbup:

It's Maple... Not Sugar or Silver, but Maple...
Pick one... There's almost 80 variants to choose from... :dizzy:

Anyone know what this is? Got about six cords free dropped off at my property, just got done splitting it

Definitely a Maple of medium hardness. Not silver or sugar. I don't think it is red either. It may be a hybrid or some imported variety. I cut down a huge one of that same exact wood about 2 years ago. The thing had a 4ft X 5ft stump. It was live and a medium hardness maple. If I find a pick of it and the leaves I'll post them up. It burns hot and fast. Great for pizza or bread type wood fired ovens. Low smoke, hot and little ash. A fine wood for cooking over or around. Imparts no flavor to the food.

Mockernut Hickory: Mockernut Hickory
Bitternut Hickory: Bitternut Hickory
Black Locust: Black Locust
Black Walnut: Black Walnut

So, I am still not sure which Hickory I cut, you might get an idea for your Hickory from the two listings. Not much difference, definitely not Shagbark.

Thanks for assisting in my quest.

It is not any of these tree types. This does not help much because they do not show any wood fiber or end grain :(

Hey everyone,

New to the forum but I've been lurking lately. Just ordered a Fiskars x27 and the sharpener. A friend suggested it to me and I then stumbled across a large thread on the subject here at arboristsite.com. Sold me on it!

Anyways...

A friend was clearing an area and the land owner said we could take the wood that was laying around - saved him a few bucks not having to haul it off. Any ideas what I have here? There are a few different types of wood among the mix. I'm going to cut/split/stack it this weekend and was just curious what I have. It rained this morning which is why the wood is wet. I can snap some more pics if necessary.

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I see Poplar, Sycamore, and at least 2 other "mystery sticks" in there. Pics of fresh end cuts and fresh splits will help everyone identify these...
P.S. The Sycamore should prove challenging for the Fiscars... :msp_wink:

My Fiskars should be in tonight. I might pop open some of the cut logs to try it out. I won't really get into the stack until Saturday though. I'm going to try to keep it all sorted from each other and will snap some pictures when I get some fresh cuts/splits.

Thanks!

Alrighty - My x27 came in yesterday so naturally, I had to try it out. Here are some more pictures of the wood. I didn't get far in but I did split some of the different logs.

This...

1.jpg

...split into this:

IMAG0318.jpg

This...

IMAG0320.jpg

...split into this (quite yellow on the inside):

IMAG0322.jpg

This...

IMAG0319.jpg

...split into this:

IMAG0321.jpg

And I made a chopping block out of the 'big guy' (it doesn't look big in the pictures but for reference, I could easily fit 3 rounds of what I split last night onto the chopping block - I doubt I could hug around it):

Actually, here it is getting loaded (I like 'harvesting' wood this way!)

IMAG0469.jpg

I was on my own for unloading it - I had to strap it to a tree and slowly pull forward to get it off the trailer.

Fresh Cut:

IMAG0323.jpg

What do you think I have here? I might run into different stuff as I get into the pile more. I'm going to start cutting it tonight so I can split towards the end of the week/weekend. If I find different types, I'll snap some pictures.

Oh, and my thoughts on the x27 - friggin' amazing. I had no problems splitting what I have pictures of. The 5th and 6th pictures took a couple more whacks but the round was a good 24" long. Everything I split I found the x27 busted right through and stuck in the chopping block!

Thanks everyone!

Would you look at that... A good piece of wood in the bunch! I should have a handful of this buried about in the stack. Hopefully I'll find some more when I get to cutting this evening. My woodpile is going to be a mutt this year!

Would you look at that... A good piece of wood in the bunch! I should have a handful of this buried about in the stack. Hopefully I'll find some more when I get to cutting this evening. My woodpile is going to be a mutt this year!

Yup... Use the Mulberry for your night burns. The other stuff looks like Popple "Poplar" family...

I've been cutting off of dozer piles for the last few years and I've become pretty good about calling what I'm cutting. But I found this stuff on the back side of a pile ( lots of it too ) and I have no clue to what it is. It is hell on chain, yellow tinted but not as dark as hedge or mulberry, and I've pulled a few that were 20 ft long or more with few limbs and no bigger than 18" at the thick end. My first guess was Mulberry but the more I thought about the length vs the dia I started doubting myself. Most of this wood has been down for 3 or more years and this wood still has good bark on it even tho some of the hedge is losing its bark. The wood as I said is yellowish, the bark even has a yellow/orange tint to it much like hedge. It is very dense as well.
Here is a picture of the bark
photobucket-27531-1351987780367.jpg

here it is with hedge, middle chunk
photobucket-3109-1351987659460.jpg

And here it is in comparison to hedge by color
photobucket-3991-1351987893549.jpg

Anyone want to take a guess? Oh by the way I'm in Missouri north of Kc if this helps

I've been cutting off of dozer piles for the last few years and I've become pretty good about calling what I'm cutting. But I found this stuff on the back side of a pile ( lots of it too ) and I have no clue to what it is. It is hell on chain, yellow tinted but not as dark as hedge or mulberry, and I've pulled a few that were 20 ft long or more with few limbs and no bigger than 18" at the thick end. My first guess was Mulberry but the more I thought about the length vs the dia I started doubting myself. Most of this wood has been down for 3 or more years and this wood still has good bark on it even tho some of the hedge is losing its bark. The wood as I said is yellowish, the bark even has a yellow/orange tint to it much like hedge. It is very dense as well.
Here is a picture of the bark
photobucket-27531-1351987780367.jpg

here it is with hedge, middle chunk
photobucket-3109-1351987659460.jpg

And here it is in comparison to hedge by color
photobucket-3991-1351987893549.jpg

Anyone want to take a guess? Oh by the way I'm in Missouri north of Kc if this helps

Looks like Black Locust to me.

Could be. I'm not real familiar with black locust, most around here are the thorny or honey with the great big thorns on them. Thanks for the help. The only other clue I forgot to give you all is it splits like hedge, stringy like.

Sounds like I made a good find.

Any idea's as to what I have here?

Hi gents, -this was harvested in Northern Indiana this week and the bark looks similar to the skin of an elephant, grain splits nice and straight. Possibly an Ironwood variety?
ironwood4.jpg

Ironwood1.jpg

ironwood2.jpg

Hi gents, -this was harvested in Northern Indiana this week and the bark looks similar to the skin of an elephant, grain splits nice and straight. Possibly an Ironwood variety?
ironwood4.jpg

Ironwood1.jpg

ironwood2.jpg

Hackberry....:cheers:

White wood similar in BTU and burn characteristics to Ash... But not quite as high...

A member of the Elm family, but splits better...

Thanks for the input Hedgerow, it's not an easy wood to split like an oak or cherry and a bit stringy but it's not near as bad as some elms I have done in the past.

Hey it was free for the bucking and hauling on the ground already so why not? I had never cut one before and really had no idea what it was, the bark is very unique and tough as nails.

Latest posts

Back