Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much! I found this site a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked. Appreciate the expertise from those of you that have spent years heating your homes with wood. Here's one more. I've found a lot of this since the storm, orange on the end, white flaky inside,View attachment 268832View attachment 268833View attachment 268834 ok to split. I've researched a bit and came up with an ornamental pear. What do you think?

Stumpy, I didn't see any of the branches. It was left cut up, on the side of the road, with a free wood sign! Too good to pass up.Thank you for your time.

I'm leaning towards walnut on your 1st post. On your second, I could be persuaded to say Bradford Pear, especially knowing when Sandy came through, and that the leaves were on the pears at that time. It's a brittle wood, and, at least around here, breaks up pretty quick in a wind. The bark looks about right too.

I'm having connectivity problems with AS tonight(not a problem on other sites). Must be the storm. Blowing about 25 here right now, with gusts to 40. Temp is still about 40, so the cold air isn't here yet...

AS is slow to respond to me also. I'm sure your weather is headed here, gonna get nasty overnight.

AS is slow to respond to me also. I'm sure your weather is headed here, gonna get nasty overnight.

Your second post is Bradford Pear... Surprisingly good firewood for an ornamental... Make sure you split it right away... Will be good in 9 months...

I got one for you all... I know what it is, just figured you guys might have fun with it...

249331d1345474785-jumbo-jpg

It's the largest one of it's kind I've ever seen, and will cause many a over eating episodes for years to come...

Hey hedge did you get that in carthage? im from joplin and id love to find some trees that size

Posted these on a separate thread and consensus was Bur Oak.
attachment.php

Bur Oak's bark is dark gray, thick and so deeply furrowed that it breaks into distinct ridges.
attachment.php

Relatively easy to split
attachment.php

Was it light in weight??? I have some stuff that has similar bark, very straight grain, and very easy to split, very light. No scent to it either.

sorry only pic i have

Was a while back.
Was a smaller tree knocked over by a large red oak .
I think it was easy to split.

I was thinking slippery elm.... by bark...
is the heartwood dark on those ?

I know american elm is lighter brown than that.

Hey guys, I usually think I'm pretty smart about wood id, but I stump myself occasionally. I cut from the dead wood that has either been storm damaged, or just died for unknown reasons. 90% of my haul is red oak. Splits nice, very straight grain, good heat, looks pretty in the pile for customers. I have a few beech, birch, cherry, and hickory around, and take them when I can.

But, I found this old dead tree standing not far into the woods. About 20" across, about 50' tall, no branches any longer, almost no bark, but still solid. When you smack two pieces together it rings like hitting a pair of baseball bats together (might be a hint). It is very straight grained, but the grain hangs on tough. Makes splitting by hand kind of a pain. I like the red oak that just pops apart when you hit it right with the x27.

So, take a look and let me know what you think. What little bark that is left hanging suggest not a shag bark.

That's my assistant there about to throw a shoulder into the Peavey Cant Hook. We both carry our own weight in this mini-operation
256651d1349895453-peavey-jpg

256652d1349895457-h1-jpg

256653d1349895461-h3-jpg

256654d1349895465-h5-jpg

Thanks, and sorry the pictures are so big and iPhone like
View attachment 256651
View attachment 256652
View attachment 256653
View attachment 256654

Judging by the last little piece of bark left on the dirt picture I am going with mockernut hickory here is a link to a bark picture:About.com: http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?SUB=3266

Oaks are usually divided into two groups: Red-Black Oak group and White Oak group. Leaf shape is the simplest way of telling one from the other.

Red-black oak group: Leaves have pointed lobes with a bristle at the tip of each leaf and each lobe. Examples: blackjack oak, laurel oak, pin oak, scarlet oak, shingle oak, Shumard oak, water oak, and willow oak.

White oak group: Leaves have rounded lobes and lack a bristle at the tips of both leaves and lobes. Examples: post oak, bur oak, chestnut oak, chinkapin oak, swamp chestnut oak, overcup oak and live oak.

From the pictures, i can see the leaves are of the Red-Black group of Oaks. Its certainly worth the work. Great fire wood!

Back