wood ID request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kljahnz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMAG0321.jpg IMAG0322.jpg IMAG0324.jpg this is from some branches I trimmed of an oak in my uncle's front yard. thanks.

Thank you. White oak family, and a good possibility that it's burr oak.
Thanks Jeff and stumpy.:)

best way to tell oaks is by the acorns. first pic looks like white oak, second 2 look like bur oak. could also be swamp white oak.

I totally forgot about the acorns.
The Deer do love them (we have lots of White Tailed deer here). No wild hogs here but our squirrels (black, grey and red) love them and so do our Eastern Chipmunks.
I have five large Red Oak trees on my property and the chippies bury so many of those acorns that I find lots of them germinated and growing this time of year. Usually in the mulch in our gardens so they have to be pulled out.

White oak and burr oak will cross so it could be a hybrid. Just to add further fun to the ID process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a bark pic of the main trunk or a distance pic of the main tree would solve the question. Burr oaks are usually pretty distinct from a distance

The pic of the whole tree will have to wait for a couple days. The pic of the trunk 'bark' will be a little deceiving. As a young kid, someone used a hatchet to remove a large portion of bark. I guess we're all lucky this tree has lived as long as it has. I'll get a pic posted as soon as possible. Thanks .

Bur Oak... plain and simple.
Leaves can fool ya' depending on what part of the tree they were growin'... especially early season leaves.
But the color of the heartwood, the thickness of the bark, and the remains of those "brushy" clumps of leaves on the branch...
Bur Oak... plain and simple.
...after looking at several pics online, hard to argue with it not being burr oak. Awful close to a white oak. Acorns seem huge on that species as well.

Latest posts

Back