wood ID request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burr oak. As a general rule burr oaks were prairie trees due to their resistance to fires, white oaks trees of the big woods. Tend to show weak espinastic control ( I read that word in a tree book) so they tend to have a very large canopy. Very large acorn with a fringy cap that nearly covers the acorn. Acorns low in tannic acid and you can just about pet the deer that feed under them! lol

its white oak... bur oak has much deeper thicker bark. plus bur oak grows really twisted. the bark and grain tend to spiral as they go up the tree. can you get a pic of the acorns? that will be the best way to tell for sure.
Look at the bark on the big limbs near the fork. If you go back in the thread OP said that someone had scalped this tree with a hatchet back in its youth, I agree the bark does not look right on the trunk but I think this is the reason but if you zoom the bark near the crotch I believe it looks correct for a burr oak

Look at the bark on the big limbs near the fork. If you go back in the thread OP said that someone had scalped this tree with a hatchet back in its youth, I agree the bark does not look right on the trunk but I think this is the reason but if you zoom the bark near the crotch I believe it looks correct for a burr oak
it appears that more of the bark has been damaged higher up in the trunk. but I cant zoom that well. could be my computer, my browser, or maybe just the user. lol. either the bored youngster climbed the tree to hack off more of the bark OR its a fungus that is common with white oaks. the fungus eats away at the bark but is otherwise harmless. I cant say for sure either way. and I would prefer to see the acorns before giving anymore of my speculative answers.

Yes definitely bur oak. The leaves in the second pic are obvious. The bark roughness varies sometimes, but the wood and the leaves match.

Back