Wood ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the difference between walnut and elm should be easy to identify in person.if the wood smells very earthy almost in a smelly dirt/ mud kind of way it should be elm but if it smells more aromatic almost fruity it should be walnut.distinct difference in smells.

Hey, free wood is free wood. Even if it is only two sections.

It did smell strong, but I put that down to it being wet through and through. We're having spring thaw here and it was sitting in a puddle of melting snow.

Ash makes sense. There are what look like bug holes in a couple of pieces, now that I look closer, and spray paint on the bark where someone marked it for cutting.
Honey is honey sweet, however the hiving.

I'm thinking it's either American elm or a juvenile black walnut but maybe locust but on the other hand it could be Turkey Oak.

The reason I say no to walnut is that walnut is a heart wood and the pic shows not much heart, but younger walnut and the limbs have small hearts, so I guess its walnut.

Well... Black Walnut or not... it still ain't elm‼
If white spider says its not elm, then it ain't elm. no joke... (not being a jerk, just speaking the facts) Also I've never seen black colored red elm, or black colored Siberian elm.

brownish/redish siberian elm the day you cut it, that turns white after a week?? yea. but never black, Siberian elm. if its not black walnut then its some crazy rare species.

If white spider says its not elm, then it ain't elm. no joke... (not being a jerk, just speaking the facts) Also I've never seen black colored red elm, or black colored Siberian elm.

brownish/redish siberian elm the day you cut it, that turns white after a week?? yea. but never black, Siberian elm. if its not black walnut then its some crazy rare species.
Stop being a jerk! Its chinese elm!

uploadfromtaptalk1426218568414.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426218608866.jpgi too have wood same or similar im not what it is. Was thinkin walnut? Its not stringy at all and burns good.

Back