Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentr

Reaction score
Afternoon gents,

New guy here. Just got into the wood stove thing ... Scrounged some wood, guy didn't know what it was. Burns good. Splits okay on 22ton, bark came right off after sitting for a few months ... Any ideas ?

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
I think elm as well, looking at the actual wood fibers. Those sucker branches are interesting, as in "hmmm..". Plenty of guys here much better than me at IDing from pictures though. Welcome to the productive and fun madness!

Looks like rock Elm to me.
Tough to be 100% on the Id though since it's tough to see the end grain and tougher to see a large section of main bark.
Branch wood looks very odd to be American elm and splits are not stringy like American elm so I'm about 95% sure it's Rock.
One of the best firewoods in NA, rates as a very close #2 in the BTU list.
Find more and start hording LOL

Looks like Siberian elm. How heavy is it? If it is light - Siberian. If still heavy after drying might be rock another elm.

Thanks for replies gents ! That's all I got left the rest is split and stacked lol guy dropped off enough to make almost a full cord ! I was thinking it was hophornbeam but I'll take elm !

Whitespider,

Tough to see the bark clearly in any of the pictures.
I'm going on the diamond shapes bark in picture 1 and the split color and lack or stringiness as Rock id.
A good end grain pic sure would help the ID and you might be right on American once we see one.
Either way he has some nice firewood just how nice is the question :)

Ontario is either Rock or American with Rock only in southern Ontario.
With the elm disease not many living of either left.

Latest posts

Back