Wood ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relex

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The neighbor beside me the township is making him have this tree taken down because the roots had grown though the underground drainage and is going to give me the wood since he doesn't want to pay the extra $300 to have it hauled off.

What kind of tree is this?

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 75
  • 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 76
I'll have to get better pics when it actually comes down. He was hoping to have it done this week but the tree guy still hasn't shown up.

I would guess box elder(which is a maple). The tree form and shape is about right... Silver maple usually does not have multiple stems from the base, but branches out 5'-10' up the main stem. Boxelder, many times, will be just like in the pic. Of course, there are exceptions! :)

Closeup of a leaf would solve the mystery quickly. I'm looking at this on my cell phone, so I can't zoom in real well...

The neighbor beside me the township is making him have this tree taken down because the roots had grown though the underground drainage and is going to give me the wood since he doesn't want to pay the extra $300 to have it hauled off.

The town is forcing your neighbor to cut down the tree but making him pay for it? That seems odd. Seems if the town is requiring it to be removed the town should pay for the work?

The town is forcing your neighbor to cut down the tree but making him pay for it? That seems odd. Seems if the town is requiring it to be removed the town should pay for the work?

I don't get it either, if I was him I'd be fighting it.

I have a nc30, is this stuff worth taking and is this a hardwood or soft?

Still trying to figure out where the Township has any authority over this tree but yes silver maple all the way. The multi stem deal is a pretty common problem around here that is three separate trees that started at the same time or there was one stem that got cut off at ground level then sprouted three shoots then it was allowed to grow. along the way it looks like 3 shoots came off the base and were allowed to grow

Still trying to figure out where the Township has any authority over this tree but yes silver maple all the way. The multi stem deal is a pretty common problem around here that is three separate trees that started at the same time or there was one stem that got cut off at ground level then sprouted three shoots then it was allowed to grow. along the way it looks like 3 shoots came off the base and were allowed to grow

Yup, now that I can look at it on a larger screen, I agree... Silver Maple all the way. Stump sprouts. Free wood is nice!

Are you going to be responsible for disposal of the small limbs and other debris?

If not and someone else is doing the falling, then I Would say that you scored. FREE MAPLE, I would be cutting that up every chance I got. Myself, I even prefer bucking it into rounds myself. I Have gotten similar deals where a SUPPOSED "PROFESSIONAL " fell and bucked trees, and the round lengths varied anywhere from 10"-26" unexplainable angle cuts and cuts where they cut half way through from one side, rolled the wood over and cut from the other side 1-2" offset and broke it off, every end had that ledge, would have been impossible to stand on end to hand split, fortunately we have a splitter.

Some people should be Legally Prohibited from owning or handling chainsaws

Doug

Are you going to be responsible for disposal of the small limbs and other debris?

If not and someone else is doing the falling, then I Would say that you scored. FREE MAPLE, I would be cutting that up every chance I got. Myself, I even prefer bucking it into rounds myself. I Have gotten similar deals where a SUPPOSED "PROFESSIONAL " fell and bucked trees, and the round lengths varied anywhere from 10"-26" unexplainable angle cuts and cuts where they cut half way through from one side, rolled the wood over and cut from the other side 1-2" offset and broke it off, every end had that ledge, would have been impossible to stand on end to hand split, fortunately we have a splitter.

Some people should be Legally Prohibited from owning or handling chainsaws

Doug

The tree company came in, took it down, chipped the what they could and left the rest. I was out after work today working on bucking and got a trailer load over to my house. The neighbor said he was just going to stack it out back but if i wanted it to have at it and take it all.

Attachments

• 9999.jpg
    9999.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 17
Back