Wood identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTPhil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A friend gave me some firewood which included a couple of loads of a wood I was unfamiliar with. Can some one name it? I have an idea, but I'm not sure. My first thought was Locust, but it isn't Black Locust, our local kind. The wood is yellow, more yellow than the pictures show, it weathers red, is hard and heavy but splits OK. I didn't see the tree, just the wood. There were no spines anywhere. The tree was 30" or more at the base.

P1010751docsmall.jpg

P1010754docsmall.jpg

P1010752docsmall.jpg

P1010753docsmall.jpg

Red or White mulberry most likely red from the diameter. Hedge Apple/ Osage Orange is in the mulberry family but not found in Connecticut.

When I Google Mulberry it looks pretty close.

I sure wish we had them, but I've never heard of Osage Orange in CT.

Last edited:
Man i am far from an expert and it surely is hard to tell sometimes from a photo, but that sure does look like some kind of ash to me. Maybe a little darker than it ought to be but that might be the computer's fault, who knows.

I could be wrong or maybe your all wrong but I believe it's hackberry. The words splits ok is enough to tell me it's not an apple of any kind,

Definitely Mullberry.... I've got one growing in the back yard and another from a neighbors house cut up on the woodpile. I could take pics but it looks identical to the pics here.

Latest posts

Back