Wood in eastern ct

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustletrees

Wood whoreder
Reaction score
Hi,
Great site wealth of information here, should have joined a while back.
New member here quick question for my first post.

Anyone know of reputable firewood dealers or log length suppliers in eastern ct? I just moved from ri and trying to get my supply started up.

Thanks!

Nobody in Brooklyn, CT supplies or delivers any firewood for free. I never sold any firewood in CT for free, and that includes Brooklyn, Danielson, Ashford, Coventry, Stafford, Willington, Storrs, Eastford, Willimantic and a host of others. Be prepared to pay through the nose.

Im not looking to get robbed just meed to heat the new house. Is firewood that scarce in the area? Rhode island was fairly easy to get tree length.

There are more than a few companies in that part of the state that sell log length. Some sell out very fast and or have limited supplies.

Do a Google search for dealers, than make some phone calls as it is getting a little chilly the last couple nights, fall is closer than we think.

Hit up CraigsList. I'm in Western CT and it's hard to get log here too. I find a lot from landscapers just looking to break even unloading inventory. With the price of gas, "free drop-offs" aren't as common here as I guess they used to be. I hear all these stories about people that get free stuff "they would have paid to dispose of anyway" but I never had any luck scoring any myself. Best I got was a trade deal one time where I took a cord of pine for every cord of hardwood dropped off from a take-down.

Lately I've bought all of the following below:
$225/cord cut/split "seasoned" (means nearly as wet as the day it was cut down - which could have been yesterday) in an emergency - last winter sucked!
$200/cord cut/split "seasoned" (a tiny bit drier, delivered last fall)
$175/cord for two "cords" cut/split the winter before last when a guy sweet-talked my wife into it while I was out. It stacked out to 1.25 cords and was all <= 4" limbwood, total junk. On the up-side, I also got a shotgun in case he ever came back. Never overlook an excuse to buy a tool.
$175/cord cut/split one day I bought 6 cords in one go, this was decent stuff. Then the guy disappeared and I haven't been able to reach him since. One of those "good wood" guys that are always posting, and never the same guy twice. There seems to be a firewood-industry equivalent of the guys who spring up in parking lots selling rugs or lobsters. They come, they sell, they go, they're gone forever. wth?
$125/cord log from an unreliable source I'm lucky I can get on the phone.
$100/cord log "rounds" which is basically crotches and tricky stumps nobody else wanted, but burn great in my boiler. This arrives in a "dumpster".
$75/cord one time for a monster 44" sycamore, worked out to about 3 cords from one tree so good deal, but I'm still trying to process the darned thing. Each round must weight 600lbs from the base of the trunk. Honestly, I doubt they broke even on the gas.
Free - got 2 cords of decent hardwood limbwood (6"-12" stuff) in exchange for also taking 2 cords of pine.

It's a total mix. I've almost never bought from the same place twice. Partly I'm just Yankee-stubborn-and-frugal and can't resist saving a buck even if it means breaking my back on something weird like that sycamore.

I found a guy with decent log but who can usually only supply a single 4-cord delivery a year. I think next year I'll get a delivery from him, then the other 6 (I burn 10 a year - and this winter is looking ominous!) from a local guy down the street. His stuff is $225/cord but he's reliable, everybody swears by him, and he can deliver in March.

Your mileage WILL vary.

Im not looking to get robbed just meed to heat the new house. Is firewood that scarce in the area?

Short answer, Yes, big time.

I've been selling firewood in this area for 30 years, and have never seen available supplies of treelength this hard to come by. Not going to sugar coat it, unless you get real lucky this fall you can plan on burning green or at best semi-seasoned.

I sell true seasoned wood, about 50 cord a year. I am getting 3 to 5 calls a week right now from people looking for wood, plus several email inquiries, (from former customers that went elsewhere because I was too expensive) and I don't advertise. I have a waiting list of 11 people right now. I tell any new requests that I will not deliver or take an order until I have delivered to all my regular customers and know exactly what is available. If there is any left over I'll start at the top and work my way down.

Even the really big firewood guys in the area that run processors have stopped advertising for a while. Some are sitting on their wood to see how high the price will go. Safe bet as it's not going down.

So what's going on you may wonder? NE CT despite being one of the most productive red oak stands in New England, has been hit by several factors that have dried up the wood supplies to retailers. I have an order in for 7 grapple loads for the 2016-2017 season and I'll be lucky if it shows up by Christmas.
1- Last winter wiped out all supplies of anything even remotely seasoned. If it might burn, it was pulled and sold as an alternative to people cutting up the the dining room table. In Feb. and March there were not even pallets available that's how tough it got. So by pulling out all the tops and cull trees late last winter, it's not available now as it's already gone up in smoke so to speak.

2-Mud season was relentless. Those companies that had wood available couldn't harvest and get it out because of the mud. Whether it was skidding out of the woods, or trying to get the log trucks in and out of the landing, nothing moved and they've been playing catch up ever since. As saw logs take priority, and many are transporting 7 days a week to the mill(s), trucking firewood is on the back burner.

3- This is a biggie and it's not going away. Wood chips are valuable. Tops and cull trees are being run through whole tree chippers to supply the big bio-mass boilers either on line or coming on line in the region. The new plant in Plainfield is going to really suck the area's firewood supply dry The loggers / timber buyers sell the chip trees in the landing, and get a check quickly with no headaches of transport and showing up at idiot yuppies' houses that don't have a clue how much room is needed to get a grapple truck in let alone unload it.

My advice is simple and it's the same I give whenever this question comes up. To avoid being burned when contacting suppliers.
1-Ask for references. If they're legit they should be able to supply at least 3 to 4 off the top of their head.
2-Go and see the wood before it's contracted. If they say no, they have something to hide, (most likely cutting and splitting off a pile). I always welcome new customers to my processing area so they can see what they're getting. The product sells itself at that point.
3-Get a moisture meter. Harbor Freight sells one for under $10. When the wood supplier shows up, grab a 1/2 dozen pieces from the truck, red oak if that's what's on there, measure the end grain and then split the pieces and measure the internal moisture content.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Take Care

Short answer, Yes, big time.

I've been selling firewood in this area for 30 years, and have never seen available supplies of treelength this hard to come by. Not going to sugar coat it, unless you get real lucky this fall you can plan on burning green or at best semi-seasoned.

I sell true seasoned wood, about 50 cord a year. I am getting 3 to 5 calls a week right now from people looking for wood, plus several email inquiries, (from former customers that went elsewhere because I was too expensive) and I don't advertise. I have a waiting list of 11 people right now. I tell any new requests that I will not deliver or take an order until I have delivered to all my regular customers and know exactly what is available. If there is any left over I'll start at the top and work my way down.

Even the really big firewood guys in the area that run processors have stopped advertising for a while. Some are sitting on their wood to see how high the price will go. Safe bet as it's not going down.

So what's going on you may wonder? NE CT despite being one of the most productive red oak stands in New England, has been hit by several factors that have dried up the wood supplies to retailers. I have an order in for 7 grapple loads for the 2016-2017 season and I'll be lucky if it shows up by Christmas.
1- Last winter wiped out all supplies of anything even remotely seasoned. If it might burn, it was pulled and sold as an alternative to people cutting up the the dining room table. In Feb. and March there were not even pallets available that's how tough it got. So by pulling out all the tops and cull trees late last winter, it's not available now as it's already gone up in smoke so to speak.

2-Mud season was relentless. Those companies that had wood available couldn't harvest and get it out because of the mud. Whether it was skidding out of the woods, or trying to get the log trucks in and out of the landing, nothing moved and they've been playing catch up ever since. As saw logs take priority, and many are transporting 7 days a week to the mill(s), trucking firewood is on the back burner.

3- This is a biggie and it's not going away. Wood chips are valuable. Tops and cull trees are being run through whole tree chippers to supply the big bio-mass boilers either on line or coming on line in the region. The new plant in Plainfield is going to really suck the area's firewood supply dry The loggers / timber buyers sell the chip trees in the landing, and get a check quickly with no headaches of transport and showing up at idiot yuppies' houses that don't have a clue how much room is needed to get a grapple truck in let alone unload it.

My advice is simple and it's the same I give whenever this question comes up. To avoid being burned when contacting suppliers.
1-Ask for references. If they're legit they should be able to supply at least 3 to 4 off the top of their head.
2-Go and see the wood before it's contracted. If they say no, they have something to hide, (most likely cutting and splitting off a pile). I always welcome new customers to my processing area so they can see what they're getting. The product sells itself at that point.
3-Get a moisture meter. Harbor Freight sells one for under $10. When the wood supplier shows up, grab a 1/2 dozen pieces from the truck, red oak if that's what's on there, measure the end grain and then split the pieces and measure the internal moisture content.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Take Care

I have been thinking a lot about access and mud lately. It's a problem. Seems like..commercial operation, you almost need two sets of tires to get in and out of muddy areas, then to get down the road. There's no replacement for true flotation ag tires offroad really, all terrains don't cut it that well. Compromises like deep offset sidewall lugged tires, superswampers, can work, but are spendy and not that great on pavement. They work, but..spendy.

For larger trucks, egads flotation tires are expensive. The biggest we have here for offroad is the litter spreader, even the mambos on that thing won't work in mud. And the wet field like sugar cane tires/ paddle tires are illegal to drive on public roads. And stupid to do it even if you could, wear em out fast. You would be working just to buy new tires all the time.

To the OP..consider making your own small kiln so you can fast dry green wood. And don't be picky on species, take what you can get.

Latest posts

Back