Wood Pile Cover Material?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using ploy tarps to cover the woodpile but they seem to get thin and eventually develop tears in a couple years at best.
This Summer has been the rain and it's not looking like changing will Fall coming.
Looking for suggestions for suggestions short of building a shed.
I've seen sites with used billboard vinyls but they aren't claimed to be waterproof probably due to wear. Any first hand experience?
Are new vinyls better than HD poly tarps?
What is working for people?

I used to use tarps but I haven’t covered my wood in quite a few years now. I bring it in the house in the fall so I don’t have to go outside to get it. I do get some of it from outside but 90% is brought inside.

Rubber roofing was always my go-to, you can find it in single-pallet wide and double-pallet wide sizes (among others) on Amazon.. it's typically called EDPM roofing material and you want the 60 mil thickness because it's thicker and lasts longer, I've used some that's easily 30yrs old and is still good. Also it's typically cheaper and stronger than a tarp

Rubber roofing was always my go-to, you can find it in single-pallet wide and double-pallet wide sizes (among others) on Amazon.. it's typically called EDPM roofing material and you want the 60 mil thickness because it's thicker and lasts longer, I've used some that's easily 30yrs old and is still good. Also it's typically cheaper and stronger than a tarp
Thanks for that, but it's far too expensive new.
Only used listing I've found are in PA and too far away and too heavy to ship.

I live on the backside of my sister's family dairy and they have ground bunk silos for their silage for feed. They purchase a double sided plastic (white and black) to cover the bunks. I am considering getting some of the left over plastic to cover my wood piles. Not sure of the mils but I do know that it takes loads of abuse and does not seem to break down as bad. It comes in huge rolls and is about 60 ft wide. If you know any dairy farmers in the area, you might look into that. Maybe even purchase the left overs from them. Here is an example of the tarp, they use the 7 mil I believe. https://farmplasticsupply.com/grain-and-silage-bags/bunker-covers

corrugated roofing, just buy it new in 8' or 10' lengths comes in 2' or 3' wide sheets... stack yer wood with a slight tilt, toss the tin on top maybe set a couple hard to split chunks on each end, call er a day, still use this for "overflow" when I actually get any overflow.
Used to have a dead cargo van that worked skookum as a woodshed, crack all the windows to let moisture out... (miss that van, was my old band van, bought at auction for $300, wrecked it 4-5 times, put a couple 100,000 miles on it before the water pump died and took out a head gasket... I then took it in for scrap and made $600 off it lol)

I've been using ploy tarps to cover the woodpile but they seem to get thin and eventually develop tears in a couple years at best.
This Summer has been the rain and it's not looking like changing will Fall coming.
Looking for suggestions for suggestions short of building a shed.
I've seen sites with used billboard vinyls but they aren't claimed to be waterproof probably due to wear. Any first hand experience?
Are new vinyls better than HD poly tarps?
What is working for people?
Any older or retired truckers around ? I use my old unused flatbed tarps. Sometimes they may have a tear or two that make them useless to use on the trailer any longer. Sometimes they may get used for patch material,, or firewood covers.. Some are fairly large. Keep your eyes open and ask.

I have a friend that uses the old billboard vinyls. They are the thickness of a very heavy duty tarp and sure look waterproof to me. He has a few billboards, so he gets them free, but if you can get them cheaper than a comparable size heavy tarp I would give them a try.
He uses them to cover large trailers holding bundles of firewood sold to campers.

I live on the backside of my sister's family dairy and they have ground bunk silos for their silage for feed. They purchase a double sided plastic (white and black) to cover the bunks. I am considering getting some of the left over plastic to cover my wood piles. Not sure of the mils but I do know that it takes loads of abuse and does not seem to break down as bad. It comes in huge rolls and is about 60 ft wide. If you know any dairy farmers in the area, you might look into that. Maybe even purchase the left overs from them. Here is an example of the tarp, they use the 7 mil I believe. https://farmplasticsupply.com/grain-and-silage-bags/bunker-covers
That's interesting. Looking at the website.

I just let my wood freeze dry all winter. It would be pointless to cover just the top when the sides are buried in it. There is a wood pile to the left in there somewhere. Cabin snow.jpg

15 yrs ago I was given a heavy duty tarp that came from Southern Pacific RR , used to cover cargo on open freight flat cars. It covers the 3 cords I use every yr quite well and has held up much better than the tarps I used for yrs that only last 2 yrs at best. I cover the wood with cheap painters plastic to help keep moisture out, then cover that with the heavy duty SP tarp, as the pile diminishes, I roll the tarps back to gain access. The wood pile is partially protected by the large oak tree that also protects over half of our house. There is a large storage area next to our fireplace where we can store about a weeks worth of wood which makes things quite easy to keep the fire going 24-7.20230912_162229.jpg

Ask a roofer or maybe a roofing supply company, lumber yard, that can sell it by the foot. I have a roll that's 10'wide and probably 50 long.
New rubber roofing is rediculously expensive, even in the secondary (leftovers) market.

Back