Wood rack build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8K Square feet... I guess that'll do it. I didn't think till afterwards also, depends highly on what woods you've got available to burn too. Guys that are predominantly in softwood territory are going to burn a lot more to get the same heat as people that have access to good hardwoods.
If there is anything I could call lucky about living where I do, it's easy access to some of the really good hardwoods. Hickory, White Oak, Black Birch, Locust... all plentiful here, have lots & lots more BTU's available per cord than softer/lighter woods.
Kind of a strange irony, the further north into the deep cold that you get, the softer/lighter most of the wood supply is.
Yup, just lots of volume to heat. No way around it. Luckily I'm not that far north where it's all softwood. Around here I have all the maple and oak I want. Got a boom pole, tongs, and a hydraulic top link for the tractor to make grabbing and moving rounds to the splitter much easier. Any steps to boost wood handling efficiency to help fill this monster easier!

Do you have a mill, or did you get the slabs from someone else? I’m thinking about milling some logs to make a shelter.

Do you have a mill, or did you get the slabs from someone else? I’m thinking about milling some logs to make a shelter.
No, I wish I did. A friend of mine does and he gave me free reign on his scrap pile. Cheapest siding I could come up with!

Looks great, understand the design now that you have finished it. I was scratching my head for a bit at the first pictures with all those posts but I understand your thinking now. Is your aisle wide enough for a wheelbarrow?

Looks great, understand the design now that you have finished it. I was scratching my head for a bit at the first pictures with all those posts but I understand your thinking now. Is your aisle wide enough for a wheelbarrow?
Haha, yeah, it all makes more sense now seeing it together. I've found that smaller fixed dimensions stack better/denser than long open piles.

I use a 2 wheel dolly instead of a wheelbarrow, so that's what I sized the aisle around. You can turn the corner easily enough and get it down the middle. I also left a "hole" at the far end that I can toss wood through to load the end bins.

Looks great. I would have done a few things different. I would have put down a moisture barrier under the floor, then I would have butted the boards together making the floor almost solid with minimal gaps and make it where critters can't get under the floor.
I would also put rock or brick down on the walkway so your not walking on dirt (that will be mud in the winter)
But still looks great,

My boiler firebox is 11cu/ft, loaded 1.5-3 times a day depending on outside cold for 6 months, easily accounts for 20+ cords :laugh:.

Just a little guy! Our shop stove is about 75 cu/ft.

No idea how much wood we use, some weeks it's over a cord. Heat about 5000 Sq ft.

Latest posts

Back