wood racks flooded

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess it all depends on how long it was submerged but I can tell you my wood gets wet all season long and all I do is have 2 wood racks in the house.One has wood I know is dry and the other is stuff I have sitting there to dry out and I keep repeating the process so I always have dry wood.

A lot of factors....... type of wood, time under water, how much air flow, ect. I would not give up on it this year. Maybe use the bottom of the stack later on in the heat season. I would be conserned about contaminants. Some stove warranties go away when this type of wood is used. My $.02

It won't take long at all. Wood piles get wet all the time. I think water going in and out of the cells helps break them down. You probably won't be able to tell in a couple of weeks. Unless there is some silt or something washed into it, that might change things.

Creek wood

I burn wet creekwood all the time, or "inland flowing driftwood". I drag it out on the banks and let it sit a coupla weeks, seems to be dry again then, enough to cut and stack it, then it dries fast. I've pulled solid big logs/trees the beavers have dropped in the pond, those are like regular wood to dry, a whole season. Usually by the time the beavers drop a big one, the tree has turned into standing dead, because they girdle the thing, but it is still pretty green inside. A few I know had been soaking for years, burnt them too, but they really had to dry a long time. Those came out punky as all get out, but seemed to dry fast up on the bank, the same couple weeks, but then once cut still took a long time to finish drying. Tell ya though they cut easy half soaked wet like that.

Tell ya what ya can do, of course this will suck to do, all your soaked wood is on the bottom of the stacks.... take all the soaked wood and resplit it again, half all those pieces. Then maybe it will be good enough next spring for ya.

Besides that I really don't know, never had a flooded woodpile. My stacks have plastic on just the top then the sides are open, so they get rained on, etc, but it all seems to burn. I also keep two days ahead, plus what I am burning that day, in the house with the wood stacked against the brick wall behind the stove. That last two days sitting there really does a number on getting that last little bit of moisture out.

Ha, this is funny. Once I got given a bull calf that the dumb momma rolled over on. A big one, 110 lbs or so. but...I lived in a rough no utilities cabin then, so had to quick process it into jerky. I built racks over my wood heater, got the fire going, kinda of a slow medium to low heat best as I could manage, and got it all dried in a coupla days. Much better than tryiong to do sun drying outside or trying to quick build a smokehouse. This was late summer so I just moved out into the front yard in my tent for the duration, it was too hot to stay inside comfortably.

So, had these nice racks over the heater built, so from then on as long as I lived there I did my final wood drying on those racks (continued to use them for jerky and dried veggies as well). Went from yard, full rain and snow on the stuff usually, to the porch (one week ahead worth), then inside to the racks (one day ahead), then into the heater. That was just the best dang wood to burn....

Wood gets wet all the time so I do not think that in itself is an issue. What I WOULD be concerned about with is how quickly and thoroughly you can get it aired out and completely dried. Since the wood was soaked I would want to get it completely dried so there is no future rot which will require probably require tearing down the piles.

Theres a difference between wood that gets wet and green wood.
Take a split of wood and submerge it for a day or two. Let it dry for a couple hours and split it. A piece of wood doesn't suck up water like a sponge will.

It takes a long time before wood gets water logged. A few days won't hurt it much, it should be as dry as it was before a in a couple of weeks.

Seasoned wood that gets wet doesn't contain the amount of water as it did when it was green. Air it out, and you should be good in no time.

as db and coldfront said,,,itll dry out right quick..it will be mostly the outside that is wet,,and thats very little difference than being rained on for a full day....teh inside is cured,,and it wont suck water back into it like a sponge

I've never had a covered stack in my life (other than an immediate usage stack roughly 1/8 cord). I've never haf a problem in the world, unless I cut the wood too' late in the season to cure effectively. I have cut Oak in Aug and burned that Oct w/no hissing/vapors,... It does get hot in KS though. On the other hand, I burned PLENTY of soaked wood as a Boy Scout... Just took a bit more patience.

thanks guys water has receded its white ash i think it will be ok i am going to clean it off it is muddy and restack it thanks again

Back