Wood shed for OWB finally finished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a neighbor that put his OWB inside a shed type building, been running it that way for 20+ years. His wood stays dry, and he just dumps his wood cuttings on the weekend.

Nice, Nice, Building... Congrats.

ya know i never thought about it but i guess it is a indoor wood burner now that you mention it . LOL The skylights are plastic . Real tough stuff. You cant break it . They took one and bent it every way you could and it just like new. Heres the link to the place i got all the material.

http://www.polebarn.com/

They were great to deal with . Very knowledgeable. I'd buy from them again.As for the temp in there it does feel warm but its been mild here in Maryland lately.I started off with only a carport with no sides . the plan was to make sides out of the wood i would stack . I saw one like that.The more i thought about it it just made sense to add sides . I noticed that windy days really affected the stove so putting it in just made sense. There was one night last winter when the wind was kicking and i missed judged the wood i had put in . Got home after a 12 hour shift and the water was 110* . I had to get it going and babysit it for over an hour in that ignorant weather.I'm still scarred from it . LOL ! Wont happen this year !

Skylights. I wonder why so many people leave off this smart option. I built shed last year and it never crossed my mind until the roof was finished.

Skylights in the side walls are good . Ones in the roof are not as good as they might seem.When i asked the guy at polebarn.com about them he said ,"you dont want them ,They leak". Well all i could think about was the free light i would get from them .Turns out he was right . They do leak some what. He said its from the two different types of materials contracting and expanding.Makes sense.Also you need to know that what ever you have in there will get major sunlight ,something i didn't think about . The ones in the walls are fine and do a good job.

Skylights. I wonder why so many people leave off this smart option. I built shed last year and it never crossed my mind until the roof was finished.

Hail is one reason, busts them out real quick, then you have big holes in your roof.

I just dont see a need to have one. If i was working on stuff tthen maybe but i have another garage for that.

you get smoked out when you open the door to load it?

I get a hell of alot of smoke in mine. I have a blower from an air handler that I've been sitting on. I just have to pipe it out to the outside. I'm just lazy. Don't let the smoke scare you!

I went with 2 16ft sliders, one 8ft slider,and a reg walk out door . With at least 2 of them open the smoke is no problem . I dont have the door open for long . Just a couple minutes.

I also have a ridge vent on the roof that runs the lenght of the building.

scag, i just read the whole thread especially the part where you swapped a 4 wheeler for his service. it always ends up like that, i dint care what you do some how you get shafted. .

Hi Scag,

You're going to need to put a blower fan in the building to evacuate the smoke. You can get a louvered barn fan that you can mount in the wall (as close to ceiling as possible). Your rafters and inside metal of the roof will still turn black from the smoke from the boiler door but the fan will help.

scag, i just read the whole thread especially the part where you swapped a 4 wheeler for his service. it always ends up like that, i dint care what you do some how you get shafted. .

you know i didn't see it coming . I just thought it would go up smooth. The guy just didn't want to do the work. I did everything i could to make it easier for him.

Latest posts

Back