Wood shed photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest shed project. I hope to get some shingles on it over the week.

th_DSCF0006.jpg

And a little something I got to go with it.

th_logpile.jpg

Here's a picture of my shed. Two pallets wide full of split and stacked stuff. That's next year's wood there now. The row of rounds have been cut since last fall/this winter and will get split over the summer. More rounds will get cut and stack in their place for the following year. I'm starting to run out of room but I'm planning to add a shed-roof off the end for another 6-7 cords.

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

jim

Here in PA you need a permenent foundation like concrete before they tax you. The catch is, I am still taxex on an old pump house foundation that the former owners poured for the pool that is no longer here. So, I figure I'll build a shed on it some day. As it is I just have a few racks of firewood there. You can build on pressure treated lumber, and that will last longer than you!

not true in every area of PA. i live 20 miles NW of harrisburg, and when i went to have someone build a polebarn for me last year i got a shock. i mistakenly (?) went to the township office for a permit. they don't offer permits any more. (WTH?) so, i called the firm that does the permits.

me: hi, i need a permit to build a barn.

guy: what township you located in?

me: (i tell him)

guy: how big?

me (getting ready for permit bill, cringing): it's going to be 24' wide, 32' long, 10' high walls. i am going to build a 10' x 32' lean-to off the back next year.

him: the lean-to doesn't count for footage area. as long as you are under 1000 sq. feet you don't need a permit. you gonna concrete the floor?

me: really? yeah, floor will be 'creted, probably next year. does that matter?

him: nope, just curious. that's what i'd do. just adhere to setbacks and you'll be fine...

**hang up**

so, this is what resulted. funny thing is, we don't even have a house on this property yet, but my shed is up. tomorrow i plan to pour the last two of my piers for my lean-to. i poured three already. i can post more pics of my progress if people want me to.

this is how they cut the poles:

Picture020.jpg

finished shed:

Picture011.jpg

the back lean-to area:

saw09.jpg

i need to have the back portion of my property graded this year. it was a cornfield that we turned into lawn...

First off, let me say, it's good to see this thread active again.
Now, pyromanic guy, are you saying, you won't be taxxed on that structure? That seems odd to me, if it is a "permanent structure'", which means, as I know it, a concrete foundation. I know things differ from town to town, so I'll take your word for it. Is it a rural community? I am guessing it is by the pics, and the fact that the township does not issue permits, which is odd too.
It looks great by the way. When do you start work on the house, and how many woodstoves are you installing?
Lastly, I have to add, that PA is one of the coolest states, because it is not afraid to be different in many regards, like the local cops without radar thing. Let's keep things that way. Freedom is preciouse. So is good spelling, but I don't really know much about that.:cheers:

One more thing Pyromaniac guy. Is that a CRV you are towing with? I ask because I just bought a hitch for my 05, and was wondering how it works. I know it can't tow much but it is nice to know I can bring things home from the depot, or move my splitter around if need be. Do you have a putnam hitch? I do and it mounts to the spare wheel storage thing under the back, which tells me it is strictly for light duty, but again that's ok with me. I am not sure if that's a crv or a passpot, but please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
First off, let me say, it's good to see this thread active again.
Now, pyromanic guy, are you saying, you won't be taxxed on that structure? That seems odd to me, if it is a "permanent structure'", which means, as I know it, a concrete foundation. I know things differ from town to town, so I'll take your word for it. Is it a rural community? I am guessing it is by the pics, and the fact that the township does not issue permits, which is odd too.
It looks great by the way. When do you start work on the house, and how many woodstoves are you installing?
Lastly, I have to add, that PA is one of the coolest states, because it is not afraid to be different in many regards, like the local cops without radar thing. Let's keep things that way. Freedom is preciouse. So is good spelling, but I don't really know much about that.:cheers:

hey jersey,

i don't know if i will be taxed on the structure once i build the house and they reassess everything, but as of now, no, i pay no tax on it. it is a rural community. my neighbor to the back is a steer farm. (LOL)

the wife and i want to have the land totally paid off and a chunk of money in the bank before we build, so we will start in spring 2009. we bought a harman wood stove from her grandmother (which wasn't in use anymore) for $100 (steal), and we are probably going to go with geo-thermal for back-up.

as far as the vehicle, yes, it is a CRV. i don't know what style the hitch is, because i had someone else install it. the CRV will haul about 1000 lbs. i have used my utility trailer to haul wood, blocks, tillers, furniture, pretty much everything as long as i don't overload it. i also haul a 15' bayliner with it...

Latest shed project. I hope to get some shingles on it over the week.

th_DSCF0006.jpg

And a little something I got to go with it.

th_logpile.jpg

Hey Adrpk....do you have bigger pics of the shed? Did you use a set of plans for this, or did you wing it? Looks like about what I need. Thanks.

Hey Adrpk....do you have bigger pics of the shed? Did you use a set of plans for this, or did you wing it? Looks like about what I need. Thanks.

I would also like to see some bigger pictures if you have them, I am wanting to build something exactly the same as yours. :bowdown:

I winged it. Glad you like it. It's in Adirondack lean-to style. It's red oak that was a little on the way out and whatever else was laying around. The gf had to have the cedar shingles. It's 14' by 6' by 9 something at the peak.

cats4-18-07034.jpg

I winged it. Glad you like it. It's in Adirondack lean-to style. It's red oak that was a little on the way out and whatever else was laying around. The gf had to have the cedar shingles. It's 14' by 6' by 9 something at the peak.

cats4-18-07034.jpg

That is really nice. I'd love to build on but maybe a little bigger;) , super nice work.

Nice work.........

I too am thinking of building a shed to store my wood in. My main problem is, Ive never built anything like this before. I guess if its in the woods, no one will look at my work and say:censored:

Also, I was thinking of using dead standing cedar as corner posts? Anyone have an opinion on cedar?

Shipper

Also, I was thinking of using dead standing cedar as corner posts? Anyone have an opinion on cedar?

Cedar is one of the more preferred woods for rot resistance. If what you have can be worked into corner posts, you're in great shape, I'd say.

I too am thinking of building a shed to store my wood in. My main problem is, Ive never built anything like this before. I guess if its in the woods, no one will look at my work and say:censored:

Shipper

Hey, don't worry so much, it's just for firewood, not for habitation, and you can always change/improve it when it's empty every spring. Heck, mine are no beauties, built out of scraps, and are doing just fine.

Here we go, that shed holds about ~30m^3 of firewood...Still missing roofplanks but i wont be making the roof 'till fall...

valmis_lato2.JPG

Back