wood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 2x12s just laying around , they were in an old barn. Ive got a lot of them. I do like the idea of putting down plastic . I will do that.

I know this is not wood but have always thought one of these be greaat for fire wood , leave the bottom 3-4 ft outside metal off to allow for air circulation. around here see them all over on old farms abandoned. guessing could move it if it was small enough with out to much trouble. View attachment 289815
if it was painted black would think the heat generated inside might even aid in drying wood!!

Paint it black and you may see combustion.

Why have a floor? That seems like an extra that's not necessary. Arrange concrete blocks and just have the roof. That's what I'm doing anyway. I don't want wall or the floor. What ever got wet would be dry in a few days anyway.

I keep my firewood stored on treated 2x4 racks that sit on top of pea gravel. There is no issue with mud and pea gravel is cheap.

I tried gravel but with that soft spot/spring it appears my gravel base has sunk. I have the blocks and lumber already so its just my time I'm out if it doesn't work. I had thought about used blasting sand, body shop next door will give me all I want.

I personally prefer steel roof for the longevity of it. I do not use shingles anymore as hailstorms seem to be becoming more regular around here.

With wood storage you have to deal with some tradeoffs with most all set ups and I'll pass along what I've found. We store ours for quite a few years sometimes so maybe this won't apply to all. If you're going into a wood framed building, think about powder post beetles and termites. We normally spray every once in a while but still see some damage from them in wood posted buildings. In some of the barns we store in we are on dirt floors. What, if any, rots up is not much. The main thing there is to have good drainage around the building. If you have no gutters, run a perimeter tile around the building and try to get the floor level a little higher.

For air circulation we leave the bottom edge a little high so air can circulate through. The problem with this is animals. Coons, groundhogs and opossums love to get in there and dig under or poop on top of the piles. We combat with traps and such but it's a hassle.

You can see how the lower edge is open here on this barn.

87817d1232828727-mvc-028s-jpg

87818d1232828727-mvc-029s-jpg

This shed is probably the easiest to load and unload into. Back the truck in and go to it. Once the lower part is done you can stand in the truck bed to do the higher stuff. Again, long term storage for us and we want as much as possible in there out of the weather. Less labor not to stack but we value the space.

We have a couple of grain bins too that we used because they were there. Royal pain and I HATE stacking them up. Done it a few times with these and would put them on the bottom of the list. These have walk in doors and we stack as high as possible. Then we back the truck up and one guy throws in and the other stacks it to the angled roof as shown below. Takes more time than it's worth to me but beats nothing.... by a small margin.

87871d1232856565-mvc-032s-jpg

When I set up my building that houses my boiler and years supply of wood I went with concrete block sidewalls and concrete floor. Even went so far to put rebar in the blocks cores and fill with concrete. No ricking needed, no bug problems and easy to clean.

Another thing I'll mention too if your looking for more than a years storage. Put doors on both sides of the building if possible. That way you can fill on one side and take the driest from the other, keeping a constant cycle going. If you use it all in one year not needed but do that with some of ours and makes it nice.

Again, I'd put my $ into drainage tile and gutters before laying stone and such.

I assume both edges; top and bottom, of the board have a 45 degree angle on them. kind of like this View attachment 289796

the old corn crib boards were cut like that so the water would drip down the boards and not drip/curl back under which is what happens if the board is square cut. i slapped a couple on my old corncrib (squarecut) and the water curled back under and in. the old farmers knew what they were doin.the angled boards would work good on a wooodshed, for airflow but still could get some penatration in strong winds. go with the metal roof if you can afford it .check with some pole barn builders to see if they have any cover sheets.its what the good stuff is usually shipped in. we have a pole building supplier that some times sell seconds & order cancels cheaper than new. good luck on the shed build.FS

I tried gravel but with that soft spot/spring it appears my gravel base has sunk. I have the blocks and lumber already so its just my time I'm out if it doesn't work. I had thought about used blasting sand, body shop next door will give me all I want.

You may want to try a mix of both sand and gravel? The sand can fill in the spaces between the gravel and the gravel may help hold the sand in place.

I thought wrong

I was hoping to be done burning for the year but I was wrong. I came on the house and it was a chilly 61 degrees, I grabbed a few pieces of maple and warmed it back up. My mistake was taking the tarp off my wood piles for the spring/summer. I assumed the wood would be in better shape for next year if it had the extra air flow, I hadn't consider that we may get rain and it would be cold. Now most of my wood is wet and I don't feel like digging through the pile to get some pieces from the middle when it's cold and wet. I hate this weather I would rather it be cold and snowing than this cold, raw, and rainy mess I have now. This is another reason for a nice wood shed.

That's what we contend with most of the time here. When it gets sloppy, it gets very sloppy. But I hate snow and everything related to it. So I'd rather put up with the rain. We've gotten so much around here lately, Lake Lanier, one of the lake here, was way down on water level. the weather man this morning said since Feb the lake has risen 15 feet. Back to it normal level. Got a half inch yesterday. But wait till my garden needs it. No where to be found.

Back