wood splitter choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine is getting a three point hitch splitter for a one year old, thirty horse, Kubota w/fel. Am I missing something here? It seems many of the readers here go this route, but I don't get it. The plus side is minimal cost, minimal up keep for a very simple attachment. Another plus, the ability to lower the tool to the work for big rounds. And, of course lots more muscle and convenient to move. Now the rub. A twenty plus thousand dollar tractor to do what a five and a half horse Honda can do without expensive oil/filter changes (read one qt., no filter vs gallons w/filter); depreciation; fuel to fuel cost comparison; inability to leave it set up to use if you, or someone else, need the tractor else where. Feel free to chime in either way! Don't recall the brand he is getting but it does split both ways, both directions.

Doesn't make sense to me either. I use the bobcat to bring the rounds to the splitter, and I am sure he would use the FEL to do that too, IF he didn't have the splitter tied to the tractor. And I toss the splits into the bucket and haul them off or load them in the truck. He can't do that with that set up. Nice to have individual machines, but that's just my opinion. Am sure other will have reasons why it is a good idea, I just don't see it.

Ted

The initial savings on the 3 pt splitter would get gobbled up by fuel cost and wear and tear on the tractor. As others have mentioned it also renders a FEL useless for feeding the slitter and other tasks.

Running a tractor powered splitter for a few cords a year makes a lot of sense. One less finicky small motor to deal with, the cost savings, and easier to get around with if you split in the woods.

Running one commercially is a completely different story. That "finicky small motor" I mentioned will likely get regular care and maintenance, and give less trouble, cost vs benefit is negligible, and normally used at one site.

For a machine in the first category, I don't buy the "wear and tear" argument on a piece of machinery that will last 5,000 hours or more.

While there are times I want a self contained splitter, my tow behind PTO powered splitter can be on or off the tractor in less than a minute, and fuel use is actually pretty minimal, just running at a high idle with little load.

The bottom line is it works for some, and that's why they make em.

Tractor Hydraulics

Is he going to operate the splitter from the tractor hydraulic taps or will he mount a separate PTO pump and dedicated reservoir? If it's off the tractor taps the splitter will probably run slow and have limited tonnage. Most hydrostats on that size Kubota only run around 10 gpm at max flow and the tractor's internal relief typically sets the max psi at 1700 to 1800. While adequate for a lot of splitting, tough stuff like hickory or black birch may not split well. Increasing the relief setting really isn't recommended as damage due to overloading the FEL becomes a big issue.

If the 3 point splitter is one that is self contained with its own PTO driven pump performance will improve greatly, however the cost incentives will disappear in a hurry.

As previously stated, tying up the FEL and not being able use it to move rounds is a big disadvantage.

If a splitter with a separate engine is the choice, spend a little extra get a Honda, GX series, change the oil, and clean the air filter regularly and it will last a very long time.

Take Care

I agree completely with the OP. I have a Kubota tractor with FEL and I am not interested in having it tied up with a mounted splitter running at PTO speed to do the same job my 26 ton Brave can do with a 8HP Briggs Intek engine. Worst case scenario is I have to replace the Briggs and/or the pump on the Brave versus time on the Kubota. I understand the Kubota are long lived engines but they still require maintenance. The cost/hr to operate I would think is higher on the Kubota vs. the Brave.

Steve

well, its an option just like the rest of the splitter setups that are for sale. whether its a good option depends on the user's specific need. also, a good option is not necessarily an ideal setup.

for someone who already owns the tractor and who is splitting only a couple cords a year it may be a good option, yet not an ideal setup.

Makes more sense to me than one of those big heavy monster horizontal/vertical splitters they market now-a-days. I’ve never moved the rounds to the splitter; mine weighs less than 200 LBS and I roll it to the rounds instead… using only one hand. Tractor mounted, it could still be moved to the rounds (although not as handily), and the ability to raise it to a comfortable height for the smaller stuff, and lowering it near to the ground for bigger stuff would be a real nice advantage.

But I do see disadvantages. For one, it would require more storage space; mine uses less room than a small lawn tractor and I can easily move it by hand (my 4-year-old can move it) when it’s in the way. There’s the whole attaching and un-attaching thing; I can roll mine out and start it in seconds if I have just a few round do clean up. I like to have the trailer hooked to the back of my little tractor when splitting, tossing the wood in it as I split; I’d need a second piece of equipment for the haulin’ (but havin’ more toys ain’t all bad). And finally, it wouldn’t be near as maneuverable; I can easily hand roll mine into some pretty tight spots in the woodlot.

I've only used one PTO driven splitter and it was slow. Plus you had to run the Kubota at a high rpm read:burn a lot of gas, to get the power you needed. The time it took alone was enough reason to get a separate unit.

I have two Kubotas and will never own a 3pt log splitter.

Don't want the extra hours on the tractor, plus more fuel use, plus slower hydraulics.

Super Split all the way! :msp_biggrin:

why use 30 horse power for a job that 5hp can do?

I own a 50hp tractor and had a 3pt splitter before..Never again.. too slow, too much noise..too much fuel being used...

3-point splitter didn't make sense for me. No $$ savings as I also would have to purchase a PTO pump to get good cycle times. I do some splitting "away from the farm" so having tow-behind model was a must.

I do probably 75% of my splitting by hand. It would be 100%, but I was given (read: favor returned) a hydraulic splitter w/ a bad motor a few years ago. I ran it the first year off of the aux hydraulics of my Case 1840. Tons of power, but loud & used 2 gallons of diesel an hour. Cycle times were nothing to write home about either. I could position the machine so that the splits could be tossed onto the bucket, but the constant coupling & uncoupling of the hydro lines was a pain! I re-powered the splitter w/ a used GX Honda & now have a much more efficient system

Called my buddy after work. His wife answered. Said he was out hooking up the new splitter that came today. I thought he was going to order one, but he already pulled the trigger. So much for research. It will be interesting to see what he got and how it works out for him. Don't know if it is PTO power or not. From your comments it sounds like it makes a big difference. I'm guessing it is not PTO because he has hydraulic hookups for a small back hoe attachment. Half expected him to stop by tonight because I had another 20 cord load delivered today an he wanted to check it out before placing an order. Thanks for sharing all the input. He has already bought it so no point in passing it on, but I learn some things. Be interesting to see if it meets his expectations. I'll get back to you in a few months on that. Myself, I want a SS so bad I can taste it, but it is going to have to wait till I buy, and sell, a several more 20 cord truck loads. Doing about 1/2 cord + each evening. I'm going to have to pick up the pace a bit to beat the heat. Thanks... Crane

Doing about 1/2 cord + each evening. I'm going to have to pick up the pace a bit to beat the heat. Thanks... Crane

what are you splitting with and how long are you spending each evening to finish about 1/2 cord+? are you sawing, splitting and stacking in that time? I'm curious. You may be better off figuring a way to get that SuperSplit now, rather than later. Splitting a half cord with a SuperSplit should be less than 1 hour, probably 30-40 minutes if what users say is true. They aren't cheap, but with added productivity it may pay for itself quick enough to get it now rather than waiting.

Stacked a few cords last month. Focusing on cutting and splitting lately so I would have room for another load delivered. Load came yesterday, a couple weeks early. Wanted to keep them separate to see how they stacked out per load. Didn't work out that way, but at least I'm not dead in the water waiting for a load. I would love to get a SS tomorrow. An SS would speed things up but not actually make any money. Buying more loads of wood will make money. So for now I'll have to put in more time. It's a trade off.View attachment 234510View attachment 234511

It really is a personal choice when it comes to deciding to use your tractor or not. You can pick up a 3 pt wood splitter 16 ton for pretty cheap 600-700 because there is no engine, pump etc unless you go PTO way, and not another engine to maintain. Of course if you need bigger then you can go bigger. Is it the fastest cycle times, no but depending on your flow rate could be decent. Who wants to work that fast anyway. ;)

Latest posts

Back