wood splitter conversion (HELP)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjackie

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am converting a 3 point hitch tractor remote powered splitter to gas and to trailer style.I have new spindles and hubs but cant find square steel tube to weld 1.250 od spindle in and it fit snug.2 inch with 1/4 in walls is 1.5 in and dont need that. What would you do? I have been thinking angle iron, big angle iron and lay weldable part of stub axle in V and go from there. This splitter was custom built in 77 and weighs half a ton without new gas motor,pump and reservoir and fluid .:msp_biggrin:Thanks for any and all info .DJ

Last edited:
Angle will work, but may need to be reinforced depending on the size and free length. Some flat could be used to form a channel or box once the stubs are welded in.

I'm all about over kill.. I say get some thicker walled tubing machines out to fit your hubs.. Angle will probably work and will be cheaper.. depends want to mount your axle.:msp_biggrin:

I'm all about over kill.. I say get some thicker walled tubing machines out to fit your hubs.. Angle will probably work and will be cheaper.. depends want to mount your axle.:msp_biggrin:
1/4 is as thick walled 2 inch tube i can find.Ithink the big angle iron will be good without raising it ,shopping for thick angle iron. Wont be a weak link for sure,all about highway safety here.

Sounds like those spindles are made for a 1 1/2 x .120 wall tube. That's a 1500# axle from what I'm seeing. Gusset/reinforce as needed if you think it's necessary, or go overkill and slide a 2x2 tube over the top of it, a la receiver hitch.

Sounds like those spindles are made for a 1 1/2 x .120 wall tube. That's a 1500# axle from what I'm seeing. Gusset/reinforce as needed if you think it's necessary, or go overkill and slide a 2x2 tube over the top of it, a la receiver hitch.
It says on the package up to 3500 but it weighs about half a ton and i was trying to stay as strong as i could.Since i already have the new set the 1.5 .120 square tube may be the choice and position it where the existing splitter is balanced with just a little weight on the hitch end and reinforce with thicker outer tube if bending is an issue.I had plans to drill holes and plug weld stub to the square tube and also crown weld the stub,i can plug weld the first tube,grind down welds to surface and do the same with second tube.

Last edited:
you really dont need to have the stub inserted into the tube, ill post a pic of mine i have #3500 hubs on mine, mine are 2" dia. round that i milled a flat on one side of the stub and welded it to the bottom of the axle tube, my axle tube as much heavier than yours tho, 4x4 x 1/2 square tube.

just make sure the stubs are straight with the axle tube so it tracks right...

heres a pic its kinda hard to see but the axle stub is welded to the bottom of the tube, i can take a better pic tonight if you want
View attachment 272504

you really dont need to have the stub inserted into the tube, ill post a pic of mine i have #3500 hubs on mine, mine are 2" dia. round that i milled a flat on one side of the stub and welded it to the bottom of the axle tube, my axle tube as much heavier than yours tho, 4x4 x 1/2 square tube.

just make sure the stubs are straight with the axle tube so it tracks right...

heres a pic its kinda hard to see but the axle stub is welded to the bottom of the tube, i can take a better pic tonight if you want
View attachment 272504
The tube was intended to be the axle but strength of a tube that will accept a 1.250 o.d. spindle may be questionable.I have not weighed this splitter but have loaded it onto a 5x 10 utility trailer with the help of a chain link hoist and it is heavy,but when transported with 3 pt hitch on 7,000 lb tractor, it never knew it was back there,smooth road or rough.I have found schedule 80 round tube that has 1.28 i.d. but its only 1.66 o.d not sure this would be strong enough for this application but would keep the spindle true and a framing square will do the rest against the I beam.

Latest posts

Back