Wood Splitter Fixed Wedge or Cylinder Mounted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaSalle

Reaction score
Just as the title states, Skid steer splitter, forward mounted.

Fixed wedge or cylinder mounted?

The conundrum ........Fixed wedge easier to build, although when using it as anything but a splitter (think giant pruner or such) it would try to pull towards the wedge or the material would be moving.

Over thinking this and just build it or is this a real issue or the elephant in the room if you will???

I would do a poll but have no clue how to do such things.

Same as any splitter. When the block is split, do you want the splits in the same place or pushed out of the way?
I would think if you typically have monster blocks and expect to have to resplit them two or three times, you don’t want the blocks moving.
If you have smaller blocks you might want to push them forward and away, but the skid steer changes the equation. Instead of bringing blocks to the splitter, you have to move the splitter to the next block anyway, so I think I would want the splits to end up where the block started. Which means Wedge on cylinder.
Unless you stack blocks in a multilevel wall and then work down while keeping the skid steer in the same spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

run from the operators seat.
Big...Eddy pretty much covered it.
Picture yourself sitting in the seat and splitting each way.
One, you will have to move forward to resplit.
The other, you will turn to resplit.
So as he, Big..Eddy, says it's how your wood is laid out, and how small are you splitting, or are you chunking to resplit on another machine?
Does it matter how much the ground gets tore up when you move?

EDIT: Check out YouTube and watch how people move and use the different styles.

Could you build a vertical style, a guillotine style for big rounds? Side arm positioners move like a cardboard bail stacker, at least one side, to take slabs off? :drinkingcoffee:
Might take two cups of coffee to figure that out.

Edit: Could be a sideways box wedge splitter with pull back, and a tongue to get under and load rounds. :drinkingcoffee: :drinkingcoffee: Now there you go! Think on that!

It will only be used for big blocks, to heavy to lift or go through a processor.
I split for OWB so mostly bigger splits. Blocks are scattered around the work area mostly were ever they roll to so they are not all in nice straight line or anything. We all know how it goes with the big stuff, move it enough to get it out of the way for later.

Leaning more towards movable wedge I guess, would be much easier to split onto the stack of pilled wood.

Latest posts

Back