Wood splitter question.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a vertical/horizontal log splitter. This will be for home use as I heat my home in the winter with a wood stove. I have narrowed it down to 3 models (I think LOL).

1) Northern 20 ton - http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6905_200316905

2) Huskee 22 ton - http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

3) Central Machinery 22 ton - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55258

Which would be more reliable? Are these models big enough for home use? Any other models I should look into? Thanks for your help.

20 to 22 ton is more than enough for home use.

which one is better is anyone's guess. look at who offers the best warranty, and who has the best parts. ie: engine, cylinder, pump....

Just found a Huskee 22 ton locally. 2 years old, garage kept, only split 1 cord of wood. $800.00 (would save $200.00).Is this a Good deal or get new? Thanks

Let me repost this for you, All splitters are identical except for a few design and minor details not to mention all companies over rate there splitters. The over rated part can be found by simply punching in the size of the cylinder into this calculator here but you must remember all splitters are NOT run at 3,000 PSI the majority of splitters come out of the factory with the pressure relief set around 2,750 PSI. Your best bet for a splitter is the speeco which is sold by TSC and they can be found at times for between $950 and $1,000 for the smaller model. There are two main reasons to get one from TSC 1.If TSC is close to you there is no shipping charge involved 2. From most users here they seem to like the speeco brand. If you have a northern tool near by you could also get one of there splitters just beware of Chinese newspapers hidden in the hydraulic tank :LAUGH:. When you do finally get your splitter, if it comes with a clear unreinforced hose try to get the manager of the store to give you or rebate you a proper hydraulic suction hosed rated for vacuum pressure. No matter what you choose you will have more than enough power to get what you need done for the most part just try to avoid harbor freight.

GRAB THAT SPLITTER IF IT'S GOT ONLY ONE CORD THROUGH IT BECAUSE IT IS BASICALLY NEW AND CLEAN:)

Last edited:
Let me repost this for you, All splitters are identical except for a few design and minor details not to mention all companies over rate there splitters. The over rated part can be found by simply punching in the size of the cylinder into this calculator here but you must remember all splitters are NOT run at 3,000 PSI the majority of splitters come out of the factory with the pressure relief set around 2,750 PSI. Your best bet for a splitter is the speeco which is sold by TSC and they can be found at times for between $950 and $1,000 for the smaller model. There are two main reasons to get one from TSC 1.If TSC is close to you there is no shipping charge involved 2. From most users here they seem to like the speeco brand. If you have a northern tool near by you could also get one of there splitters just beware of Chinese newspapers hidden in the hydraulic tank :LAUGH:. When you do finally get your splitter, if it comes with a clear unreinforced hose try to get the manager of the store to give you or rebate you a proper hydraulic suction hosed rated for vacuum pressure. No matter what you choose you will have more than enough power to get what you need done for the most part just try to avoid harbor freight.

GRAB THAT SPLITTER IF IT'S GOT ONLY ONE CORD THROUGH IT BECAUSE IT IS BASICALLY NEW AND CLEAN:)

HO HUM

I have the 22 Huskee and it works well, so far I've split a little over 20 cords with it. I kind of wish I had gotten the 35 ton model, but so far only a few big pieces of oak have stopped it. In warmer weather it does get a bit too hot for my taste, so I plain on adding a 5 gal hydro tank to keep things cooler in the spring/summer.

attachment.php

I have the 22 Huskee and it works well, so far I've split a little over 20 cords with it. I kind of wish I had gotten the 35 ton model, but so far only a few big pieces of oak have stopped it. In warmer weather it does get a bit too hot for my taste, so I plain on adding a 5 gal hydro tank to keep things cooler in the spring/summer.

attachment.php

Andy,.Thanks for posting, Valuable Imfo,...T,C, E,J,

Ho Hum

klwsuigdli,

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those splitters for your home firewood use. I will throw out a couple of things.
1. Try to get the one that's comfortable and your not bending over all the time.
2. a 5hp 20 ton splitter is all you will ever need.
3. That $599 price is great on the one!
4. Try and get one that has some sort of cradles on either side of the main beam.

I've been using a Yard Machines (MTD) 5hp 20 ton splitter for the past 2 yrs for my own home firewood/stove wood production. It's performed flawlessly and has plenty of power. I had cut at least 5 pickup loads of large truck tire sized rounds of rock maple and yellow birch. These took 3 of us too get into the truck! I quartered them verticle (Not a one stopped the splitter) and stored them a year like that. Then the following year they split into some beautifull stove sticks
I set the splitter up on a cheap pair of those stamped steel ramps they sell to work under your car. This got it up too a more comfy height for me.

PS: Andy, Nice Dolmars! My dream team is a 5100s and 7900! Also good idea on the larger hydr tank. Mine is just under 5 gals and never gets too hot.

The only improvement I'd make too this unit is too put a larger fuel tank on it:greenchainsaw: .

Last edited:
Just found a Huskee 22 ton locally. 2 years old, garage kept, only split 1 cord of wood. $800.00 (would save $200.00).Is this a Good deal or get new? Thanks

As long as it works, it'll serve you well.

I've a speeco model, 27ton, 9.0hp B/S, it has split every type of gnarly, crotchety wood I can fit in there, I've run about 40 cords through mine, in the 3yrs I've had it. Some other folks have borrowed it when their splitters broke down, they don't like to give it back LOL.

caution on the HF refurb. great price, but read the thread on **********
Still may want it, just be eyes wide open.

Have used a lot of them and I look at it as anything that is better than a maul is a good thing!

kcj

Latest posts

Back