Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, just about done putting some final touches on this project. had to do this on a budget, and with some parts that i had already. took some designs from people that have made some and modifications around here. i think that this is going to be my first Splitter, but not my last. it's a little tail heavy i put the axle back as far as a i could but, hoping with weight in the delta box should even it out. i tested it out down the road before i tucked it away and it will go down the road doing 90km's no problem. the tongue is telescopic. and pulls out 3 and a half ft, and can tuck away for storage as seen.

Tank is a Princess Auto on sale special, and same as the motor and pump it was on a clearance deal when i went to go buy the tank, it's 6.5hp, dual stage pump 12gpm. i have a 13hp Honda i wanted to use, but for the price of the Princess Auto motor and pump i couldn't beat an already setup system. There is no baffles or anything in the tank just a strainer on the outlet, and return dumps in. i would still like to see an inline filter on the return side of things i think, but future plans. only had to buy some fittings, and the suction hose as the Wallenstein 3pth Wood Splitter i got already came with hose, so that was a win.

The Wallenstein splitter is rated for 20 ton's don't know exact details other than that, maybe thinking of some Angle on the back of the knife to get the pieces to split out a bit more, but i will run it for a bit and then see if that mod is needed.

I like a lot of things about it but should have done a bit more thought process and done things a little different, but going to use it for the summer, have probably 10 to 15 bush cord to do and see how it stands up. V__2FBF.jpg V__7FDC.jpg WP_20170310_001.jpg WP_20170310_002.jpg WP_20170310_003.jpg

I think it looks good, what I would do to correct your issue is easy.
1)Put the hitch on the otherside (front of I-beam) 2)move the tongue jack to a swing away undernearh (pin up and pin down)
3) install tail lights into your work box on the rear.
4) i would reposition the frame work so it flush under the box and install a 2" hitch receiver back there, if there were need to hook up from the now rear to position it or any other reason that may arise.

I think it looks good, what I would do to correct your issue is easy.
1)Put the hitch on the otherside (front of I-beam) 2)move the tongue jack to a swing away undernearh (pin up and pin down)
3) install tail lights into your work box on the rear.
4) i would reposition the frame work so it flush under the box and install a 2" hitch receiver back there, if there were need to hook up from the now rear to position it or any other reason that may arise.

i thought about doing it that way, after of course, but i wanted the motor and tank covered from going down the road. everywhere i'll be going with this thing will probably require a tractor/UTV or going down a gravel road. so i wanted them protected from direct impact of objects / dirt and mud. I could do with a smaller box, but i had it from an old pick up. and i really wanted an end station so i could have my compact tractor to 1) load stuff out of for splitting or 2) load into to be able to dump into a trailer or stack. hoping to cut a step maybe. but I see what your saying and i could do that maybe still

Wowser, it's tough to get a splitter to balance out and keep your knees out of the steel or a wheel. My big splitter is extremely heavy on the tail and I mounted everything as far ahead as I could and even keep the steel beam extra long on the front. I keep 3 ash rounds that are 32" long and 12" across ( no I'm not sure how many bush cords that is Rob) strapped to the front hitch and even ended up putting a foot on the tail for splitting.
Splitter looks good and no matter how many you build you will always want to change stuff. I drooled over those motor and pump setup a couple of times but I have too many splitters already, they are a good deal.

I would think you'd have to be very careful when turning not to get into the toolbox.

Wowser, it's tough to get a splitter to balance out and keep your knees out of the steel or a wheel. My big splitter is extremely heavy on the tail and I mounted everything as far ahead as I could and even keep the steel beam extra long on the front. I keep 3 ash rounds that are 32" long and 12" across ( no I'm not sure how many bush cords that is Rob) strapped to the front hitch and even ended up putting a foot on the tail for splitting.
Splitter looks good and no matter how many you build you will always want to change stuff. I drooled over those motor and pump setup a couple of times but I have too many splitters already, they are a good deal.

I was just worried about it going down the road. Don't want it swaying into the other lane. I have this thing setup pretty good but yes you always run into snags I will just have to use it for the summer and see how it makes out. Lmk if you need help in the bush sometime

Princess Auto is deadly on the old pocket book. You go in for one thing and end up with a full cart. It's tough when you pay another $100 and you get the entire package.

If you have access to a vehicle weight scale, see what axle weight is vs. Tongue weight and you know right there what changes need to be made so it don't dance down the road.

Well, just about done putting some final touches on this project. had to do this on a budget, and with some parts that i had already. took some designs from people that have made some and modifications around here. i think that this is going to be my first Splitter, but not my last. it's a little tail heavy i put the axle back as far as a i could but, hoping with weight in the delta box should even it out. i tested it out down the road before i tucked it away and it will go down the road doing 90km's no problem. the tongue is telescopic. and pulls out 3 and a half ft, and can tuck away for storage as seen.

Tank is a Princess Auto on sale special, and same as the motor and pump it was on a clearance deal when i went to go buy the tank, it's 6.5hp, dual stage pump 12gpm. i have a 13hp Honda i wanted to use, but for the price of the Princess Auto motor and pump i couldn't beat an already setup system. There is no baffles or anything in the tank just a strainer on the outlet, and return dumps in. i would still like to see an inline filter on the return side of things i think, but future plans. only had to buy some fittings, and the suction hose as the Wallenstein 3pth Wood Splitter i got already came with hose, so that was a win.

The Wallenstein splitter is rated for 20 ton's don't know exact details other than that, maybe thinking of some Angle on the back of the knife to get the pieces to split out a bit more, but i will run it for a bit and then see if that mod is needed.

I like a lot of things about it but should have done a bit more thought process and done things a little different, but going to use it for the summer, have probably 10 to 15 bush cord to do and see how it stands up. View attachment 565610 View attachment 565611 View attachment 565612 View attachment 565613 View attachment 565614
I like it.
Maybe in future build a four-way wedge.
And I would have painted it all that nice pearl blue (over top of the Wallenstein blue I mean)
Looks like you have a vertical tube behind the reservoir tank to mount a future return hydro fluid filter. Good spot.
I would just wire her up for lights and leave it at that.
Nice work and good ideas behind the design.

A bit of advice on the reservoir cap , the one that I had used a nut and bolt setup to hold the retaining spring clip , the nut vibrated off into the reservoir at some point .... Check the cap .

I like it.
Maybe in future build a four-way wedge.
And I would have painted it all that nice pearl blue (over top of the Wallenstein blue I mean)
Looks like you have a vertical tube behind the reservoir tank to mount a future return hydro fluid filter. Good spot.
I would just wire her up for lights and leave it at that.
Nice work and good ideas behind the design.

I really wanted to put a knife on it like Alex does on all his splitters I have used a wallenstien 4 way and it's weird I think I will save may cash for now and put it to the next build and do as Alex or the timber wolf splitters.

The tube is actually for a vise so I can sharpen my saws on the go. I have an extra Stihl File guide I'm going to throw in the box. There is room there though on that side for the filter I will just have to use a bit of pipe and not hose.

IF I like it this summer I'm thinking about taking it right apart and painting it correctly I just used a paint brush on this and laid it on thick.

If you have access to a vehicle weight scale, see what axle weight is vs. Tongue weight and you know right there what changes need to be made so it don't dance down the road.

The local dump has one I was thinking about taking it out there. And then what you just use a bathroom scale for the tongue when it's unhooked?

A bit of advice on the reservoir cap , the one that I had used a nut and bolt setup to hold the retaining spring clip , the nut vibrated off into the reservoir at some point .... Check the cap .

Thanks for the advice, I will keep an eye on it

Back