wood splitters??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonestacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys
Anyone ever built a log splitter?, I am thinking of building one.
I have the I beam and the ram, any input (pics-info-or plans) would be
greatly appreciated, Thanks for any and all input
Thanks Bill

When I look at most factory and home/made splitters my first thought is that serial number one hydraulic splitter was built wrong and everyone since has copied it. So my my best suggestion is to think "out of the box", don't copy someone else's splitter, build one.

My biggest pet peeve of splitter designs?
Why is the beam on most splitters halfway between my knees and ankles:(
Put the dang beam on the ground so you can work on your knees, AND don't have to lift large chunks OR put it up at a comfortable working height and put a lifter on it. Anything else is back ache city including tilting beams. Had them all.
Id rather swing a maul than work all day ankle high on a ridged beam or tilting beam splitter, Am I the only one?

hey guys
Anyone ever built a log splitter?, I am thinking of building one.
I have the I beam and the ram, any input (pics-info-or plans) would be
greatly appreciated, Thanks for any and all input
Thanks Bill

welcome to the forum.

we have many many threads here on home made log splitters. do a search and you'll get tired reading about them there are so many.

after that, if you have any questions....ask away.

One Tip

If your wanting a serious splitter DON'T use a Barnes two stage pump they are great for low power speed but they slow down allot when your getting into the knotty stuff. Pm me and we can brain storm I have PDF files from two pump manufactures and I can show you the difference in the Barnes two stage and a normal gear pump. I also have welding advice and other tid bits of information that will help you and make life allot easier when it comes to building the power plant:).

Works just find for me! I can bust a cord an hour with my slow splitter.

The options are really not in everyone's budget.:buttkick:

-Pat

Verticle shaft, engines, are the BEST value, You can buy a (USED) 5,HP threw a 18HP, briggs/kohler/Honda/kawasaki, engine for half the price, of a (USED) horizontal shaft engine, of the same HP/Brand,. Hydraulic pumps work just as good mounted verticle,..as horizontal,.. Most of the mtd,. (they make about 75 % of all riding lawn mowers manufactured)... Most riding mowers have the verticle shaft engines, And can be bought cheap, with not alot of hours on the engine,.Most people overlook the verticle engine as a great option for driving a Hydraulic pump, or a generator,or a water pump, ETC,,.If you are rigging up a conveyor, Or a air compressor, yea, Id pay more for the horazontal engine, because of the obvious anvantage,.. shaft alingment,.. etc OK,.. enough, all ready,... Eric

Verticle shaft, engines, are the BEST value, You can buy a (USED) 5,HP threw a 18HP, briggs/kohler/Honda/kawasaki, engine for half the price, of a (USED) horizontal shaft engine, of the same HP/Brand,. Hydraulic pumps work just as good mounted verticle,..as horizontal,.. Most of the mtd,. (they make about 75 % of all riding lawn mowers manufactured)... Most riding mowers have the verticle shaft engines, And can be bought cheap, with not alot of hours on the engine,.Most people overlook the verticle engine as a great option for driving a Hydraulic pump, or a generator,or a water pump, ETC,,.If you are rigging up a conveyor, Or a air compressor, yea, Id pay more for the horazontal engine, because of the obvious anvantage,.. shaft alingment,.. etc OK,.. enough, all ready,... Eric

Hmmm...Now why didn't I think of that! I am currently rebuilding my splitter to get it up to a decent height. The motor is getting a bit clapped out after 20 years and been wondering about a replacement. I have a very low hour 11 hp Briggs horizontal but some space problems. Your post reminded me of the POS MTD clone rider mower with 17 hp verticle.

the problem is with the speed. Currenlty have a 5 or 6 hp 6x1 reduction which is only a bit slow for my purpose. Driving it direct might come to be way too fast.

Harry K

Hmmm...Now why didn't I think of that! I am currently rebuilding my splitter to get it up to a decent height. The motor is getting a bit clapped out after 20 years and been wondering about a replacement. I have a very low hour 11 hp Briggs horizontal but some space problems. Your post reminded me of the POS MTD clone rider mower with 17 hp verticle.

the problem is with the speed. Currenlty have a 5 or 6 hp 6x1 reduction which is only a bit slow for my purpose. Driving it direct might come to be way too fast.

Harry K
WOW, That pump is deffinatily,..out of the ordarnary, 3600rpm reduced x 6 is only 600 rpms,...95% of all hyd pumps must turn,..1500 3600,.. rpms to be productive/pratical,...

WOW, That pump is deffinatily,..out of the ordarnary, 3600rpm reduced x 6 is only 600 rpms,...95% of all hyd pumps must turn,..1500 3600,.. rpms to be productive/pratical,...

Size wise it isn't that big. Picked it out of the used parts bin in an agricultural factory building big fertilizer applicators. All painted over so I can't tell the make/model/gallonage. Those pumps and motor combination were used on the removable power packs that went with the machines. I always guessed them around 16 gpm but that is just a WAG. Been wondering what I could use to remove the paint on the name plate.

Harry K

Gear pumps are actually just as cheap (actually cheaper) than two stage pumps. Just look in the current fall/winter Northern catalog on page 285 the dynamic pumps are cheap and actually the one for $119 will flow more than any of the Barnes units for the same price as the 11 GPM Barnes. But the only trade off is engine size with that unit you would need around a 50Hp motor but it is better to over build than under build ANYTHING:rock:

Gear pumps are actually just as cheap (actually cheaper) than two stage pumps. Just look in the current fall/winter Northern catalog on page 285 the dynamic pumps are cheap and actually the one for $119 will flow more than any of the Barnes units for the same price as the 11 GPM Barnes. But the only trade off is engine size with that unit you would need around a 50Hp motor but it is better to over build than under build ANYTHING:rock:

True the single stage pumps are less expensive but at the price of fuel using a small engine and 2-stage pump in one season could make up the price difference. Even the cost difference between large and small used engines does not cover the cost difference. of the pumps. Additional costs will be radiator ,battery ,and extra steel to support the large engine. The splitter will also now require a vehicle to move it.

Bigger is NOT always better, like driving a tack with a sledge hammer.

The splitter will also now require a vehicle to move it.

Bigger is NOT always better, like driving a tack with a sledge hammer.
What the heck the splitter won't need a vehicle to move it just add on a little hydraulic motor and a seat and you can go anywhere you need to with it:jester: . I got my self a nearly free car engine block to run my splitter and the nice thing with it is I can (and will eventually) add a 12 volt converter to power some nice 120V halogen flood lights to see in the dark with as well as a hydraulic motor to move the thing around and other hydraulic do dads.
;) who ever said it was a bad thing to drive a tack with a sledge hammer?

What about a splitter that could split the log as it lay horizontal on the ground? No need to pick up the log at all, just roll it with your foot into the 'maw' of the splitter.
So basically it would be a regular splitter turned on its side.

Take a good look at the designs of the big name splitter manufacturers. They have done a good job of getting the ergonomics figured out, in my opinion. I can comfortably split for hours on my Timberwolf, and make huge piles of split wood without much fatigue. They got the height right, the valve placement, and the clearances to the tank, engine, etc.

Only good advice that some splitter manufacturers get wrong is where the exhaust is directed. Sometimes you might actually want to load the splitter from the "wrong" side, and it's a pain to have the exhaust shooting at you.

I going 2 start a new thread,..;Manual wood processor,. club design

test,. I wood like to get the whole club, involved in building a High volume wood spliter, that will eventully,. OR,. could be, incorporated into a wood processor, nothing more than a wood splitter built on steriods,. No, I dont use steriiods,..Then we will inplant the splitter, in 2 a full blown wood processor,.Anybody wanna play,?. Diesel,powered, 5 in cyl,. etc, The idea of buildfing a wood processor ,...moudular style intreges me, You will still be able to take the stand alone spliter to a pile of rounds and GO for it,.. I have an idea for lifting the real big rounds up to the spliter, 20-30in size,. no log lift used, not the kind you see every day anyway. somthing different,.. And its self propeled,. You can drive it into the shop every night and keep it from freezing,....

test,. I wood like to get the whole club, involved in building a High volume wood spliter, that will eventully,. OR,. could be, incorporated into a wood processor, nothing more than a wood splitter built on steriods,. No, I dont use steriiods,..Then we will inplant the splitter, in 2 a full blown wood processor,.Anybody wanna play,?. Diesel,powered, 5 in cyl,. etc, The idea of buildfing a wood processor ,...moudular style intreges me, You will still be able to take the stand alone spliter to a pile of rounds and GO for it,.. I have an idea for lifting the real big rounds up to the spliter, 20-30in size,. no log lift used, not the kind you see every day anyway. somthing different,.. And its self propeled,. You can drive it into the shop every night and keep it from freezing,....

With all the smarts, and experence, here ..I think it wood be a fun thing 2 do... I have the facility to build them production style/speed, The idea of a coop type thing is intresting, and could make money, for those who contrubute,. Iam not good with the books maybe some one else can do that,.

I get 10% commission for my brains I got a fantastic way to double the power and splitting diameter of the logs that can be split. Not to mention ways to load the unit and how to properly set it up for towing and mass production(IE semi trailer).

Latest posts

Back