wood splitters??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold that idea ,..until we get a book keeper

I get 10% commission for my brains I got a fantastic way to double the power and splitting diameter of the logs that can be split. Not to mention ways to load the unit and how to properly set it up for towing and mass production(IE semi trailer).

Ok, any body else with ideas on building a HIGH volume log splitter,?...Engine, pump, valves ram, wedge design, beam, tank, log lift, apron, infeed conveyor, out put elevstor, cuttoff saw, stock control, manual/ elec controls, stroke control, oil cooler, 4/6/8 way wedge, hyd adjustable?, pump drive coupling, cylinder head, sleeve/pusher, filter/s, heaters, hitches, stands, outriggers, fuel tanks, radiator, shroud, auto cycle, log clamp, log feed, log rack, trailer frame size, axle capcity, log input, inline or offset,?.. .....lots of different ways to build a splitter/processor, Any one with an idea,?.. jump in,,.. lets build this thing, I see alot of machinery built out there that looks as tho there wasnt enough thought put into it, I think this could be alot of fun, and a real nice,. well thought out machine, OK,.. its a dream Ive had for many years, And Ill never get over it,.. Eric

Send me something to secure my ideas and my commission I have the main portion of this unit built in my head.

If your really serious about this we will get on yahoo or something with a group of us with signed confidentiality agreements and a joint commission agreement on final sale or patent revenue. I got dozens of ideas and this is just what I was looking for now all we need is the hydraulic guru, mechanical designer, and some one to fund the building of the first unit. ;) Trust me with my plans and ideas we could be splitting close to 20 cords per hr:D.

If your really serious about this we will get on yahoo or something with a group of us with signed confidentiality agreements and a joint commission agreement on final sale or patent revenue. I got dozens of ideas and this is just what I was looking for now all we need is the hydraulic guru, mechanical designer, and some one to fund the building of the first unit. ;) Trust me with my plans and ideas we could be splitting close to 20 cords per hr:D.

Iam good with the basics,. But suck at keepin the books,..at least what you might make of em,..Any body up for doing the books ,?..I think this could be a real good project,.I guess we should talk about sheres before too many ideas are printed here,Iam throwing out ideas without , possibably, realizing the entire rath or the math of it all,.I think a GREAT machine could be built for all the intelengent people/that take the time 2 post here, and maybe more importantly the experinced people here,. Ive seen more mistakes made by in house engineers,.. that never had the experince of being in the realworild/field,..Not to critisize, But there is NO compasrrison between the two .. I think this is a good idea ,. But more than I can keep track of.... HELP,.. Eric

Iam good with the basics,. But suck at keepin the books,..at least what you might make of em,..Any body up for doing the books ,?..I think this could be a real good project,.I guess we should talk about sheres before too many ideas are printed here,Iam throwing out ideas without , possibably, realizing the entire rath or the math of it all,.I think a GREAT machine could be built for all the intelengent people/that take the time 2 post here, and maybe more importantly the experinced people here,. Ive seen more mistakes made by in house engineers,.. that never had the experince of being in the realworild/field,..Not to critisize, But there is NO compasrrison between the two .. I think this is a good idea ,. But more than I can keep track of.... HELP,.. Eric

Iam lookin to build a machine that is FUN to opperate and will last a life time plus +++, not really lookin to build a machine that can produce 20 cords an hour,. Because it would NOT be fun to run,..And Some body is going to get hurt,..

Well were obviously going to have satellite radio and a good stereo system in the cab of this unit heck we can even install a little fridge and microwave for lunch time :D. 20 Cords per hour is a mythical number that would be very hard to reach but we can get up to maybe six an hour but again we need to get in to legally confidential territory for any further details.
SO ANY ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO BOOK KEEPING SPEAK UP WE NEED YOUR HELP

Last edited:
Hmmm...Now why didn't I think of that! I am currently rebuilding my splitter to get it up to a decent height. The motor is getting a bit clapped out after 20 years and been wondering about a replacement. I have a very low hour 11 hp Briggs horizontal but some space problems. Your post reminded me of the POS MTD clone rider mower with 17 hp verticle.

the problem is with the speed. Currenlty have a 5 or 6 hp 6x1 reduction which is only a bit slow for my purpose. Driving it direct might come to be way too fast.

Harry K

i'm using an 18hp briggs with an 11/22 two stage pump and a 6 x 24 cylinder with a 2" ram.

nothing has stalled it yet and it's been splitting alot of wood.

the photo here shows the engine mounted above the pump:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/mga_01/?action=view&current=DSCF0206.jpg

there are other photos as i was building it.

Now that is a nice splitter!

Harry K

Amen,. Harry,. I like the verticle engine part, Its like the roodolf movie,..Most people over look the missfits, They arent the norm.. verticle, engines , that is,..I waz 1 of them,..until I got older and, thought,..You are an idiot,.. not 2 use a cheep verticle engine, on your hyd pump,... LOLOL,.. How many people got that one wrong,?... Iam no expert,. But If you have money to waist, give it to a church, and get a tax break,. Give 2 the church anyway,.....

Last edited:
Amen,. Harry,. I like the verticle engine part, Its like the roodolf movie,..Most people over look the missfits, They arent the norm.. verticle, engines , that is,..I waz 1 of them,..until I got older and, thought,..You are an idiot,.. not 2 use a cheep verticle engine, on your hyd pump,... LOLOL,.. How many people got that one wrong,?... Iam no expert,. But If you have money to waist, give it to a church, and get a tax break,. Give 2 the church anyway,.....

people prefer horizontal over vertical because they are much easier to hook up to something. i made my own simple engine mount and pump mounts, as you can see in the pictures. vertical shaft engines do limit their uses on other projects.

on a log splitter, it's actually better, in my opinion, because this makes the hyd. pump lower than the tank, ensuring you are always going to have oil in there. in one picture, you can see how the pipe drops from the tank to the pump.

Now that is a nice splitter!

Harry K

thanks, harry.

i mounted it on a boat trailer...lol it was free, so what the hey...i might as well use it....right? but, with the 8 inch H beam, it ended up at the perfect height for standing there.

Last edited:
Here my spitter.
18hp Briggs IC w/ pressure lube and filter
28 gpm Barnes two speed pump
5" X 24" ram
12 gallon fuel tank
40 gallon hydraulic tank
Removable 4 way wedge
Hydraulic valve detents both directions
3/4 inch hydraulic high pressure lines/including valve body.

Now 18 years old and usually run at 60 to 70% of full throttle.

40 gallons....you should never have to worry about that oil getting hot. and that 12 gallon fuel tank means you should be splitting wood for 24 hours straight....LOL

nice set up you have there.

Treeco, the setup you have is very nice but I notice you run at only part throttle. This seems to be common practice after reading many posts over the years. What are the benefits of running at only part throttle? Pump output is rated at full rpms ,so at 60% throttle with a 28 gpm pump it is only running at a 16.8 gpm rate.

I found information in Timberwolf's owners manual regarding engine speed while splitting.

CAUTION: TW-5, TW-5 FC, TW-6
Run engine between three-quarter throttle and
full throttle. Running engine at lower speed can
force fuel into the crankcase. If that happens,
the engine motor oil and spark plug have to be
replaced.

What brand of engine is on those things? Sounds like a pretty bad design flaw for the money they get for them!

Latest posts

Back