Wooditis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a new case of wooditis, just picked it up about 3 months ago. I started working for a company that occasionally cleans up wood lots, oak savannas, and fence rows. Lots of cherry and ash. They were just throwing most of it in piles to burn. I quickly stopped that, and started filling my truck up every night.

I'm fortunate enough that my local tree service, wanting to avoid dumping costs, drops of loads of oak, ash, and maple at my home-for free. Most are 12 ft logs, but sometimes they are already bucked up into rounds. Only thing better than this is if they stacked it for me!

Boostnut -

Capron is small between Rockford and Harvard on Illinois 173, I actually live in the country (there is getting to be less and less actual "country" between Rockford and Chicago everyday it seems) about 3 miles from the Wisconsin border about 20 miles northeast of Rockford.

woodtitus can be and is good.

I cut so much wood last year, that I gave my grand parents 3 cord this winter, sold a couple cords, got enough for the next couple years here, and donated a couple more to a couple needing families in the area.

Now for this year, I haven't been around enough to use all the saws I own.....need to find some time off to use them and blow off everyday life. Saw use for me is therapuetic.

I hit the jackpot today. Local logger called and said he had 50 truckloads of oak we could clean up and have for free. We will get right on it! Also, I saw an Elm tree in terrible condition on the way home from from work. Wooditis is driving me to stop in and get the OK to take it down for firewood. Well I got my "fix" for the season.

It’s almost May and I thought/hoped my Woodites would have ebbed by now. No such luck I just spend 5 sweaty, poison ivy filled hours to get 1/2 cord of Black Locust that I really don't need.

It’s almost May and I thought/hoped my Woodites would have ebbed by now. No such luck I just spend 5 sweaty, poison ivy filled hours to get 1/2 cord of Black Locust that I really don't need.

I have it too. It sucks. I spend more time thinking about cutting wood and spending money on wood cutting stuff than I do my job (which pays a lot better than my measily wood business.

cabin fever is setting in

ive been itchin to start cutting for this coming winter but with the floods i cant get in the woods. to wet and soggy.

LOL ... Between this and other examples posted in this thread I can see that I am not alone.

I just spent an evening after work this week hauling out some birch that was knocked down by the PW department while they were clearing a strip for a ditch. Left right after work and didn't get home until after dark, but even on the way home was thinking that I would have done it again the next day if there was enough wood left out there. :D

Latest posts

Back