Woodland Pro 30RC Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I rarely run any chain but Stihl but a few months ago WP was so cheap I thought I would try it again. Two days ago I torn open the package and installed the chain on a 20" bar. Looking down from the top the top plate angles did not match from side to side. I put my Granberg jig on to check the angles, the right side was ground at 35 degrees and the left a few degrees less than 25. Needless to say I had to file a brand new chain to get the cutters to match. The depth gauges were the same side to side at around 0.030.

Of course I will stick with Stihl chains again but I am curious if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!

I've run a lot of this chain. I can't say I've ever noticed this but I've never looked for it either.

I've also run a bunch of woodlandpro chain, and never noticed this issue either. . . and I've never had a loop that cut crooked out of the box either.

it been a few years, I just could not get it to cut like I could stihl or Oregon no mater how I changed the angles.
I just didn't like it.
I know they say it is carlton but I have run carlton that was much better. I can't remember the numbers now.

I rarely run any chain but Stihl but a few months ago WP was so cheap I thought I would try it again. Two days ago I torn open the package and installed the chain on a 20" bar. Looking down from the top the top plate angles did not match from side to side. I put my Granberg jig on to check the angles, the right side was ground at 35 degrees and the left a few degrees less than 25. Needless to say I had to file a brand new chain to get the cutters to match. The depth gauges were the same side to side at around 0.030.

Of course I will stick with Stihl chains again but I am curious if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!
I purchased a Husky 435 refurb and it had the same problem, the remanufactured chain included had a 5 deg difference side to side. Somebody was sleeping.

I used my newly acquired HF chain grinder to get both sides the same.

I have a loop of 30RC, really like it but I've never run any Stihl chain, I heard it's the best.

I have been running Woodland Pro chain (30 RC) for 15 years and have never really had a problem with it. We cut 200-300 cords a year. Right now I am try Woodland Pro's Timbermax titanium 20 inch bars. I Believe we are buying them for $27 each. I just bought one for my 455 rancher and have also run one on both my 372XP and 441 Mag. Have not really drawn any conclusions yet, just too early to tell but with the 30 RC chain they cut quite good.

Latest posts

Back