Woodland Pro. Who makes it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redprospector, I think we were typing simultaniously. That's why I'm wondering about how good they are. If they perform reasonably close to the Stihl they'd be worth it.

We've run Woodsman Pro chain for several years and its a high quality chain. In my opinion it ranks the same as Stihl chain, doesn't stretch and it really holds an edge. Generally carry at least 4 chains per saw, can't screw around sharpening in the field when theres work to be done. Besides its pretty tough to sharpen good chain with a file. Its so hard it takes the teeth off a file, we do all our sharpening with a grinder now.

got wood pro on my 372xpw cut 2 full cords of maple and beech still throwen large chunks, for the price i'll never buy stihl rs again...i have stihl rs 3/8 on my ms290 and it does cut great but way too pricey for me.

Thanks mranum. Hearing it from more than 1 person I'll probably get a few loops.

SM, 1 cord = 128 cu ft. 8'(bed length)x5'(bed width)x4'(stacked height)=160 subtract some for dead space and wheel wells and it's pretty close to 128. And like I said if I can't just hold the saw and have it cut it's not sharp. It should feed itself without having to lean on it. You can typically go through a 12" piece in about a minute with a bow saw it's that soft. When I dropped a buddy's dead, ancient almost petrified 36" elm it took all 12 chains to drop, block and limb a 20' tree. His brand new never seen wood Craftsman bounced off of it. That was the 1 tree I relied on the dogs for, w/o them it wouldn't have happened.

i have used both the stihl chain and WP chain. when i first bought my 260 pro and 170, i used only dealer bought stihl chains. then, i came on here and noticed i could buy WP for about 1/2 the price from baileys.

tried some experiments, and i have to say i like the WP chain better overall...

5 people use it and like, good enough for me. Thanks. I'll post later as to how it compares to the Stihl chain I've been using.

Do a search on dimensions of a full cord. It is 128 cubic feet. Doesn't matter if it's 4x4x16 1x1x128 it's simple 3rd grade math. As I said earlier:

1 cord = 128 cu ft. 8'(bed length)x5'(bed width)x4'(stacked height)=160 cu ft subtract some for dead space and wheel wells and it's pretty close to 128.

A Canadian cord may also be more than a US cord, not sure and since I don't see someone from Canada driving halfway across the US to deliver wood it really doesn't matter to me.

Everyone who has wood delivered up here has 1 long bed pickup show up with racks loaded +/- 4' deep for 1 cord of wood. If they order 4 cords they will get 4 pickup loads. These are also businesses so if they were delivering short cords they would no longer be in business.

I suppose if you just throw wood into a truck in a pile it wouldn't be a cord but I stack it just as if it was in my shed.

http://www.azdwm.gov/CONSUMERS/ConsumerTips/Firewood/tabid/259/Default.aspx

Arizona came up on a quick search, didn't feel like hunting down a CO site.

Do a search on dimensions of a full cord. It is 128 cubic feet. Doesn't matter if it's 4x4x16 1x1x128 it's simple 3rd grade math. As I said earlier:

1 cord = 128 cu ft. 8'(bed length)x5'(bed width)x4'(stacked height)=160 cu ft subtract some for dead space and wheel wells and it's pretty close to 128.

A Canadian cord may also be more than a US cord, not sure and since I don't see someone from Canada driving halfway across the US to deliver wood it really doesn't matter to me.

Everyone who has wood delivered up here has 1 long bed pickup show up with racks loaded +/- 4' deep for 1 cord of wood. If they order 4 cords they will get 4 pickup loads. These are also businesses so if they were delivering short cords they would no longer be in business.

I suppose if you just throw wood into a truck in a pile it wouldn't be a cord but I stack it just as if it was in my shed.

http://www.azdwm.gov/CONSUMERS/ConsumerTips/Firewood/tabid/259/Default.aspx

Arizona came up on a quick search, didn't feel like hunting down a CO site.

Recheck your math.

The discussion really isn't what a size of a cord is. I think everybody knows that. The discussion is how far overflowing you are with SH1T, that you cut 16 cords of wood without sharpening you chain.

And by the way, 128cu ft is 128cu ft, no matter if your in Canada, US or Timbucktwo.

I use Woodsman pro ripping chain - it cuts well, and stood up far better than I expected in terms of sharpening - 2 runs down a 24" oak about 10 feet long before needing a touch with a file. Recommended, and the price is good as well.

Seems your's is the same as ours, at least there's one thing we can agree on.;)

Yes, I miscalculated. The same notebook I scribbled in for that had the calcs for the addition to my woodshed. Should be 4x4x8, my number was for 2 cords. Sorry.

parrisw, they use a different form of measurment in Germany and some of the other European countries and wasn't sure if Canada followed that route or not. I also said I start with a sharp chain, replace it once about midway through (when it's dull) which leads to reason I sharpen once when everything is done.
So if you were to count the midway and end it's twice in 16 cords. If you want to count the beginning also it's 3 times. Like I said I have cut hardwood's and it is about every 2 tanks BUT the stuff we cut/burn is a little harder than 2 week old bread.

How is the WP chain to sharpen, does it have the same wrist cramp tendencies as the Stihl? Not complaining, the harder to sharpen the harder the steel the longer it will hold an edge.

Back