Woodmaster 4 in 1 Planer/molder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not really sure where the best place to put this but saw some related in this sub area so here it is.

Does anyone have any experience with the Woodmaster 4 in 1 planer/moulder. It seems to have a good reputation but how does it compare to other planer/molders.
Does anyone have a molder/planer to finish off the lumber they mill for higher value appreciation?

Hey, I have the 18'' model. That being said I have never owned anything else so i don't have much comparison experience. But i have been more than a little disappointed. I have had problems with the rollers. problems with adjustment system and problems with chip out on almost any speicies no matter how sharp the blades. It gets the job done thats about it. Go with a spiral head cutter if you can.

+1

I looked at one closely years ago...it seemed to do both jobs; but the moulder was not great.

If you're looking at doing trims/casing and possibly flooring, consider a shaper. It means two pieces of purpose built equipment; but the results will be worth it (IMHO).

Grizzly has a good selection on their site to get you started.

Thanks for the inputs so far. Hope others will still chime in with comments.

Well, i have the 18" model, and i haven't had any problems with it. It's a great planer and i'm very happy with it, it really does a GREAT job.

I do think IF you plan to make a lot of moulding, you'd be much better off with a Williams & Hussy moulder... They aren't priced to badly, and a dedicated machine is almost ALWAYS better.

SR

We ran one a few years ago. Used it as a gang rip saw to make blanks for the moulder. We had a 6 spindle push through. It did ok, but was to slow for what we needed. We could push the boards across the table saw faster than through the Woodmaster.

Back