Woodmaster Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mingom

Hey guys,

I've got a couple of issues with my woodmaster 4400. I seem to be burning quite a bit of wood per day, maybe 5 10-12 in logs approx 3 ft length.

Also, I have quite a bit of larger coal like ashes rather than dusty ashes, that I have to empty out daily, otherwise it seems to get full above the bottom of the door height.

One other issue is that it seems to be constantly smokey inside, no matter whether the blower has or hasn't run, when I open the door smoke rolls out the entire time I have it open.

Sorry, I know its alot of questions at once, I'm jut trying to get the hang of it before the real cold weather comes!

Thanks!

My guess is your wood needs more dry time green wood =smoke+big coals in my owb anyways. There are times my coals are well above the door I will throw in some small pine,poplar,cedar to burn the coals.

Hi Mingom, I too am a Woodmaster owner. I've been burning my 3300 for going on 5 winters. Not a pro-wood burner by any means (still learning), but might be able to help answer your questions. My set points are "on" at 160 and "off" at 168 degrees. Factory settings are 160 to 170. First, I found that the more wood I put in the more I seem to burn. The key is to find a load amount that burns hot and keeps your home comfortable and still has coals throwing heat till next load. I cut my wood 24" long and split it so the splits are average 6" seasoned for a year. I tend the fire twice a day. Usually 5:00 am and 5:00 pm. The evening fill consists of 4 to 8 splits (90% hardwood) depending on the overnite temperature forecast. Above 40 degrees 4 to 5 splits. Below 40 degrees 6 to 8. In the morning I see what's left. Then add 2, 3, or maybe 4 splits again depending on forecast. Secondly, I remove my ashes once a month on average. Wood ash I learned is real fine almost like wheat flour or finer. If you have chunks leave them in there. They'll throw lots of heat yet. You're throwing BTU's away. What's important and you might be doing and haven't mentioned is rotating your coals. When you need to add wood pull the coals forward to the door. If they come up above the bottom of the door plate that's alright. The blower will hit them first starting them to burn then spread fire back into the fresh loaded wood. Also now all your ash is right inside the door. I have two tools I us for this. One is hoe like tool that came with furnace and a four prong rake like tool. We here in the northeast PA call it a "potato hook". The "hoe" pulls coals forward and "hook" stirs them. Third, does your furnace have a handle type thing sticking out above the fill door (smoke bypass). If so, pull that out 6-8" before opening the door. Then open door slowly. The draft created will pull the smoke out the chimney so you don't get it in the face. Almost forgot. If you open the door after the blower shuts off be careful. Air entering the furnace will ignite the gases and kinda explode out at ya possibly singeing you eyebrows. I wait at least five minutes then do the above steps. Sorry so long and hope this helps. Glad to have ya here!!

I have had my cb for 9 years and you do the same as I do but I fill mine up most of the time. I have done like you with just enough wood to keep it going and it works I may be using more wood my way so I will be testing thanks.

I have a Central 6048, I agree if you find the right loading intervals with just the right ammount of wood your good. Your burning green rounds your throwing at least half of your usable btu's and burning twice the wood.

If the forecast is for 0 or below I will almost fill my firebox in the evening just to make sure there is enough wood. Still leaving the top third of the firebox empty. The reason I don't fill all the way is an old timer told me once, "a fire needs two things, fuel (wood) and air (oxygen)". With that in the back of my mind when loading. If I load the firebox full that limits the amount of air. Not enough air = cooler fire and more smoke. The blower is trying to force air in but has limited area to go. Another thing I've learned, alot from this site by the way, "set points" can vary depending on many things. Such as home/DHw needs, type wood, condition (seasoning) of wood, time of year, type heating system in your home. I have forced hot air. First year I had the furnace I was burning poorly seasoned wood. Set points were 160/170. When the blower would shutoff at 170 the temp. wouldn't rise any. Just hold then start to decline. Seasoning my wood for at least a year and loading it as noted I noticed the blower was still shutting off at 170 but I was seeing temp. upto 175-178 a couple minutes after. Checked for air leaks around the door and such. Nothing. Just a good hot fire. So I lowered my shutoff point to 168 because my home didn't need that hot of water radiant to be comfortable. By the way thermostat set at 73.

I have one also and do the same as was posted.WORD OF CAUTION, IF YOU USE THE HANDLE TO BY PASS THE SMOKE USE CARE WHEN PUTTING WOOD IN IT OR THAT HANDLE WILL GET YOU BETWEEN THE EYES

Thanks for all the help guys. Update for this morning... I've been trying to just stir the coals since yesterday morning, I threw on a couple 4 in rounds last night because it was in the 20's. I've been trying to let it just burn down to ashes so I can empty it, but all I seem to get is coal-y material. I had to empty it some as it was smothering itself, so I took a metal garbage can full out, they were still fairly hot. I still seem to have a ton more inside but my blower has to keep kicking on to keep the temps up between 175-180, and I heard the propane kick on earlier to heat the garage (must have had more demand than the wood could provide at the time. Question is, what can I do to get more ashes? I'm burning what I was told is wood that has been seasoned at least 1 year (just bought the house, so thats what the owner said).

What I do is when I get a lot of coals I don't add any wood during the day. and go out and stir up the coals a few time during the day, dig deep into the coal bed and bring all the unburnt chunk up and they will burn and keep your stove up to temp. At night just add more wood or you will run out of enough heat to keep the stove up to temp.

Never thought of that Sawmill. Never had it happen to me. I'm only 5'7" maybe that's why:msp_smile:

I am only 5'6 or 5'7 and I have caught that handle a couple of times in the fore head and once between the eyes. I don't use it anymore for that reason. Nothing makes you day start any better than getting woke up that way.:msp_smile::D

Latest posts

Back