Woodpile rats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey just wondering if anybody has had an ishue with rats in the woodpile. my meighbour come over to tell me he seen one. Just wondering how to get rid of them if i can.

Every so often I get mice nests but no rats.

Are you stacking in a shed where they can hide? Otherwise stacking single rows outside will make things rather inhospitable for them.

Otherwise you need a cat and/or rat poision. If you go the poision route be aware that every other squirrell, chipmunk, etc in the area will be dead too.

hey just wondering if anybody has had an ishue with rats in the woodpile. my meighbour come over to tell me he seen one. Just wondering how to get rid of them if i can.

Just started getting desert packrats (woodrats) in one of the stacks close to my home. Will be using some old fashion spring traps to keep the population undercontrol.

I have cats, plus those huge blacksnakes. Got no rats at all. I know there are some in the fields around us, but around the house and coop and barn and woodpiles..no rats.

Rats are the number #1 main prey animal for cats, they are just hardwired for them, they got domesticated just because of that and keeping grain stores thousands of years ago rat free, they catch/kill/munch em down like candybars.

Thanks for the repkies. Might try a couple traps. What you put in them? Cheese?

I have cats, plus those huge blacksnakes. Got no rats at all. I know there are some in the fields around us, but around the house and coop and barn and woodpiles..no rats.

Rats are the number #1 main prey animal for cats, they are just hardwired for them, they got domesticated just because of that and keeping grain stores thousands of years ago rat free, they catch/kill/munch em down like candybars.

I'd like to get a cat or two for the backyard but we have a siberian husky which don't mix well with cats. Plus we have a big population of mountain lions around here that like to hunt house cats and dogs after dusk. But yeah, you're right my neighbor has a cat and its killed around a dozen packrats on his property this year. He keeps his cat in at night. His other cat was killed by a mtn lion a few years ago.

Jack Russel terriers may be a good option too as they were originally bred to kill rats in England.

I'd like to get a cat or two for the backyard but we have a siberian husky which don't mix well with cats. Plus we have a big population of mountain lions around here that like to hunt house cats and dogs after dusk. But yeah, you're right my neighbor has a cat and its killed around a dozen packrats on his property this year. He keeps his cat in at night. His other cat was killed by a mtn lion a few years ago.

Jack Russel terriers may be a good option too as they were originally bred to kill rats in England.

Yep, any of those little terriers would work, or some of the other breeds. Pygmy swamp wooky here is mostly cairn terrier, she'll nail a rat fast if she picks up on one while out walking around.

Funny as heck story, well, if you had seen it. So, one of my cats comes traipsing out of the woods with a rat, still wiggling. I am walking the dogs, they go over there in a pack, crowd around. Pygmy swamp wooky runs in like between their legs and come barreling out with the rat!

The poor cat looked dazed and confused though..like "what happened"???

Mountain lions, eeek! Ya, bring the little dogs and cats inside at night for sure! The coyotes are bad enough.

Use an airgun and have some fun with it.

CEB327F0-8E50-45E4-A823-FC004BD967A4-4216-00000471C4D00B64_zpsf7d03411.jpg

Get those blue/green poison cubes at HD!! They come with this plastic little trap but throw away the trap and just get a bag full of the cubes! Putem in between the splits1 In no time gone!!
They have made a comeback in the last few years! Don't know why? Maybe all the Immigrants!! LOL

Had a woodchuck move in under the wood shed a couple weeks ago. Amazing how many rocks he was excavating from under there. Didn't really need that going on under my wood pallets. Dispatched him with a .22 last Saturday.

Donst look like my cat is gonna do any thing about them.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410311877955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410311877955.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
I do like the idea of the air gun. I got three mice a couple years back in my shed that way.

Latest posts

Back