Woods porters & work saw modders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any one any knowledge of what happened to the guy from Canada that ported saws & posted quite regularly on here but haven't seen any posts from him for some time is he still in business & left the forum or has he stopped doing modded work on saws Brain fade set in can't remember his name but remember he offered up one of his saws for a comparison against other saw "modders"

Yes, Engineer 'Sr' Simon Wright, Campbell River VI, BC (Simonizer) When he left C&L rental and Supply he announced the opening of his shop with port work prices on here with a thread titled "Simonized saws" (Was A Site sponser) Entertaining
Thread to read. He wouldn't put up videos of his saws (his work) when asked. He firmly said 'I'm just letting people know what I offer as well my prices. It was a riot to read, Some people had a hard time eccepting that. He eventually offered to do a saw free of charge. It was Funny because according to our phone conversation in late spring of 2007, He had ported in the 200 range for the coast in 2006. He was on schedule to shatter those numbers which is crazy considering when you pen in winter shutdown time there at the beginning of the year. Obviously the customers would have gone with him for the specialty work.
The thread was in 2011 I believe and I read half of it in 2015 then joined. It was a little painful to read from my prespective considering his beyond success he had here. Its a big bad world. The thread eventually started a 372 50mm work saw build off. The original 372 was his 'pet project' which I personally have owned and used from new. I never did read the thread in its entirety. I heard his saw placed 4th but it was said to me first hand that it beat out 'stronger' saws due to the luck of the draw in the wood. He seemed happy with that 4th as I read a reference towards that. A very nonchalant guy it would appear. He sent a saw that was brand new. Not even broke in or set up to its potential. (as that's the only saws be will work on) I broke in a new Walkerized and then a Simonizer 372 in in about 2 month apart in 2007. Someone asked me how I liked the new saw and I answered "I'll like it in a week. Out of all my 371/372 ported top ends in the 21 yrs they have been available here. That saw had the biggest power increase that could hold at a higher rpm. Some have a lower sweet spot and lose power at high rpm in the wood Some seem to stay about the same in the wood and dont lose power at a higher tune like mine do now. His just amazed me after setting the jet. Its the only saw I remember vividly, the job, where I was standing and what the scenery looked like and such apart from my Walkerized 52mm 266 thinning saw that I turned up once on the bench only to quickly turn down. The time that I purchased mine he said he was reaching a 37% increase. In later years on here he had a thread saying it dyno'd at 8.2 hp
I believe there may have been a piston change. Last I heard about 18 month ago, the saw that was entered still had no time to speak of on it and it has yet to be set up.

For some prespective: I have one timed out bottom end now at 1200 hours that's had 5 different combinations not including the stock Xtorq jug. (1) ported BB, (1) OEM 266 window dome, (1) cut chamber AM 266 open skirt (melted..lol) another ported BB and now OEM BB "XPW"
I played guinea pig for a builders R&D on the mainland from about 2008-2015. A lot of them went through my hands one way or the other.

Yeah, I would say he can build a saw.
I heard he reached personal success with the Dalmar as a new pet project there shortly after the 2010 changes to the 372.
I don't think there is dealer support though. I've never seen one. I haven't seen guys use Dolmar either. There is walker's as well three other saw shops doing good work on the Island as well another very popular private X faller turned builder that put some time in under Walker's that put out a lot of 660's as well builds a mean peaky smooth 461.
I haven't seen a great deal of his work out there as I once did. Possible he does work for a few private circle and taimed down on the saws. I'm not completely sure. May just be to busy with other things as he has a machine shop not a saw shop. Mechanical engineer by degree I understand.
Looks like a scientist in a short white mock lab coat and beats to his own drum.

Love reading your stories Westboastfaller :drinkingcoffee:
Thanks MR B' I'm starting to tell the truth now
Haha J/k

Funny I came across this old forum from 2005 talking about Simonizer & Walkerized I'm not convinced the one guy wasn't Simon..lol..no couldn't be...could it?? he seemed to have a lot of inside scoop then came on with some dyno numbers of the Simonized 385 against Walkerized 385 then he said someone just came in and put their Walkerized 395 on consignment and got a 385 Simonized.
Then he seemed to lay out Simon's Resume....If infact it is true? This was the post below. Interesting as well funny.

Then at the end of the thread

He said anyone that was interested in Simonized 385xp or XPG to get hold of him
  1. sawmeisterNew Member
    Campbell River BC. These saws are built by a retired engineer/tuner that built race bikes for Eddie Lawson, 4-time World champion Formula-1 500 cc roadracer.I have tried them with a 33" Oregon bar running 3/8-058. Makes a Walkerized 395 look like a Homelite XL-12. Unbelievable, and super smooth.

2. eb 12, 2005

220px-Eddie_Lawson_1990_Japanese_GP.jpg

"Steady Eddie"

Was young Simon the 'mad scientist'?

Thanks Westboastfaller Simonizer was the guy I was thinking of.I wonder about the guy working on "Steady Eddies"bikes as in the successful time of his career he was a "works" rider & the factory staff would have been responsible for the motors, the race track staff would if they had a problem would just replace a complete motor in a lot of cases complete with ignition & fuel system components As far as I know the motors were never stripped outside of the factory's race division Cannot say for sur on Honda but know that no one outside the "works" saw the inside of a "Yamaha" units.

Thanks MR B' I'm starting to tell the truth now
Haha J/k

Funny I came across this old forum from 2005 talking about Simonizer & Walkerized I'm not convinced the one guy wasn't Simon..lol..no couldn't be...could it?? he seemed to have a lot of inside scoop then came on with some dyno numbers of the Simonized 385 against Walkerized 385 then he said someone just came in and put their Walkerized 395 on consignment and got a 385 Simonized.
Then he seemed to lay out Simon's Resume....If infact it is true? This was the post below. Interesting as well funny.

Then at the end of the thread

He said anyone that was interested in Simonized 385xp or XPG to get hold of him
  1. sawmeisterNew Member
    Campbell River BC. These saws are built by a retired engineer/tuner that built race bikes for Eddie Lawson, 4-time World champion Formula-1 500 cc roadracer.I have tried them with a 33" Oregon bar running 3/8-058. Makes a Walkerized 395 look like a Homelite XL-12. Unbelievable, and super smooth.

2. eb 12, 2005
I was a member here back about 15 years ago and vaguely remember a lot of the stuff you mention in your posts. My memory is so cloudy these days - people mention to me things we did or talked about from years past and I'm lost. I got away from this forum for a number of years and had to re-join under a different username because I couldn't remember my old one lol! (It wasn't sawmeister haha)

Back