Work is picking back up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Well, our 'winter' is just about over here in Florida and work is starting to pick up again. It's been so slow since the first of November, I was getting worried.
I think I just picked up a new account today, a small builder/ landclearing guy who said his last climber is now in a wheelchair. Something about camping, beer and chainsaws; I didn't get the whole story. He has 4 pines for me to knock down tomorrow and said he can give me 2-3 days per week if it works out. My other main tree guy is starting to pick up again too. I'll have 4 days this week with him. I haven't heard much from my 'occassional' accounts yet, but I'm sure they will start calling soon.

It's nice to be busy again. :)

Brian, could you please tell winter to end up here soon? All this snow is really hindering my ability to get anything done... well without getting all wet that is. We got about 2" here today, and I hear that more is expected tomorow night as well.

it sure is!!!!!

it's amazing what a few phone calls can do once the
weather turns nice!!!! just landed a live oak clean out.
customer said sure, when ever you want to start that's
fine w/ us!!! the oaks's on a 10 acre property west of
town which they are going to build on in 4-5 years. they
want to do a tree per month and there's at least 10 more
live oaks and a boatload of laurels. this is such a nice
piece of land that's kind of special to me.........that's the
site of my 1st climb!!!!!
budroe:cool:
hang in there boys, only 4 more weeks 'til groundhog day:D

A nice little flurry of work has occurred here also. Unfortunately, the second job I bid, I messed up royally. I wanted it (bills to pay) and intended to give a low price but I messed up-Gave the no clean-up price while agreeing to clean up the brush and leave the wood. To top it off when I started climbing today I realized that I underestimated the size of the tree (Ash). I almost came back down and backed out of the job but I really hate to do that and I still need all I can get right now so I went ahead. The extra height and greater size and weight of those limbs that were further up than I realized meant roping out a lot of stuff that I planned on cutting and pitching. The bottom line is I'm going to wind up with double(+) the work I 'm getting paid for. Hopefully this will get me straightened out on charging enough for a while but realistically I pull this stupid stuff every now and then and as bad as this one every few years.:rolleyes:

Hey stumper been there done that. Sucks donkey when your a few hours in and start to realize this is not going to be as easy as first thought. Did that with 3 Mulberrys had to thin them out and take any limbs off the roof boy was i in for a rude awakaing come cleanup time. Took me 2 days to get everything cut up small enough to haul to the cogen plant which was only 2 miles away (luckily) took 5 loads with 2 trucks since I did not have a chipper. I never cut on a mulberry again after that especially one that has been neglected for along time. Walked away alot wiser after that one.

Same here, took down 4 trees saturday, sold another one yesterday. Got a big job removing 10 large slash pines last week. Bid a $1500 trim/deadwood for 4 live oaks Saturday that I think I sold. One estimate waiting. Hope this is the start of a busy year....

If I've been slow I always seem to skrew myself on the first one I get a chance at. Seems to break the ice, but while on that job I keep saying ..why do I keep doing this to myself???!!!!
Greg

"If I've been slow I always seem to skrew myself on the first one I get a chance at. Seems to break the ice, but while on that job I keep saying ..why do I keep doing this to myself???!!!!"

The story of my life!! Thing have picked up here with the sunny weather and temps into the 70's - spring is coming!! Would be nice to get an ice storm first!!

I screwed myself on the first one. I will start it tommorrow. I just have to remember I did it to myself, and not to resent the client.

Starting next week, cashola. Jobs bid fair. Good money for good work - any extra, I will roll over into "customer service".

Get some cash to travel again. Going to Denver later this month, Vegas in Feb, and Deutschland in March. I had better get busy.

Lots to be said about striking while the iron is hot.
;)

Nathan

Anyone else busier than usual.

The last 2 years, January was all but dead. Thinks are booming this year. Maybe it will make up for a slower than avg November and October.

I ask mainly because I would like to know what I am doing right or what I was doing wrong before. Is it just the when it rains, it poors?

It is good to have the work but my muscles are aching!!

Dan, I would like to meet up for that beer. I'll be flying in on the 24th.

Too cold up here, my fingers don't work under 20*. Had a touch of frostbite in service and I seem to get a little more sensative each year.

Maybe the trips south did not help any either.

LOL.... it is good to know that you experienced guys can have trouble with bids too :) I thought that was only for us newbies to enjoy!

I'm only doing this as a side job... mostly for fun and possibly to make some $$ to help pay for more toys (like climbing gear, tools and truck stuff). I definitely have to get better at bidding work or it will eat me for lunch. I'm hopefully completing a job tomorrow that has taken me about 5 days so far (Saturdays only). To make a long story short, I way underbid the job for two reasons:
1. I know the guy
2. He had some good trees to climb and I needed the experience

BUT, there is a nasty oak that I can't handle on my own experience so I've had to call in a friend of mine who has his own business to help me out. We are hooking up tomorrow.

..... oh ya, the best part is: I'm paying my friend :eek:

When it's all said and done, I'll walk with about $400. Oh well, I'll do better next time.

Sound like you could use a crash course in tree estimating...
Raise your prices and keep raising them... Bid as high as you can... just because you don't have the same overhead as the guys driving the fancy trucks, doesn't mean you can't charge as much .... If you do a good job and sell well, you can even charge more.
My brother in law once told me..."If the customer isn't bellyaching about the price... you're not charging enough"
OK try this...
Next time your out looking at a job.... come up with a price that is so high it will make you cringe on the inside... look the customer right in the eyes and watch their reaction when you give them the number... The next words you hear might just be... "When can you start?"
Just think about how much more fun you'll be having when you make some serious $$$$ at it.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Also rethink yourself. You are doing this as a second job/career. Side jobs are for people that are stealing thier employers tools and buisness.

Don't lowball because this is your second job. Figure your costs and bid according to the proffit you deserve.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Side jobs are for people that are stealing thier employers tools and buisness.
Don't lowball because this is your second job. Figure your costs and bid according to the profit you deserve.
I must disagree here, John. I did tree work for myself as a part time sideline to my full time job for years and cannot remember ever using my employer's tools or selling to my employer's customers. I agree that it is an easy trap to fall into but a person with integrity can keep the two careers separate. I was actually more likely to use MY equipment while working for an employer when needed and also gave jobs to my employer that were too big for me to handle on my own. I did not allow myself to sell my own work while on the clock for another employer.
I ended up selling off all my equipment after going to work for Davey. My boss did not approve of his employees doing side work and I gave it up for my main job. But he also had me working 60+ hours per week and I was too tired to do much on the side anyway. (Boy, this brings back memories!)

Which brings me back to my original argument, You had a second job, your own micro company, by my deffinition.

Wether it was a legal tax paying company is another question we will not go into;)

The ethical individual who has the understanding of his primary employer needs to define himself as a professional.

busier than ever

Well, summer has arrived on schedule here in Florida. 87* at 6PM tonight, time to close up the house and kick on the A/C for the next 8 months.
The subcontract climber thing has been working out very well. I've worked 4-5 days per week for most of the last 2 months and the phone keeps ringing almost every day. I had 6 pine removals today, between two houses and mostly between pool screens on either side. Had my gear packed and left with a decent check by 2PM. Wasted two friction hitch cords with pine sap, even using a false crotch. Good thing they cost less than a buck each!

In regards to John Paul's side note above, I got my $300K liability insurance this week. $826 per year and it specifically states that I climb trees and cut limbs in the tree. I didn't want there to be any question that I'm the guy aloft with a chainsaw. This should open up even more opportunities working for guys who dismissed me before when I wasn't insured.

Oh, and I'm about as tired as I was that day in SC last month when Dave (the Evil one) made me climb 14 trees in one day! :p

Anyone know a quick trick for getting globs of pine sap off a rope without buying (and waiting a week for) a rope washing bag? Or should I just burn up a couple more hitch cords on it and wear it off? I hate getting stuck and not being able to move my rope through the hitch! Reminds me of the old days using a Tautline hitch. :rolleyes:

:D Told you i was going to make up for letting you ride the bucket 2 days the first time you came up.

Just daisey chain it up and when you wrap it around the spindle once you get 360* around reverse and come back over the other direction. This way it does not get wound tight against the spindle.

I do it every few months, even the bull rope.

Please permit me to make a recommendation.....
ITS TIME TO REIASE YOUR PRICES......
You've clearly demonstrated that you can make these guys some good money.... That's why the phone is ringing..
Now you've got the right insurance which makes you more attractive to the guys you've been working for and will open your services up to a new clientelle..... That's got to be worth an extra $50-100/day to start...
Then as long as you're staying busy keep raising the price until you get just the amount of work you'd like.... Economists have a term called price elasticity.. which basically means how much a change in price will effect sales... Once you start getting a reputation.... you can raise your prices plenty and you'll still get called. As long as you're making your clients money they'll still use you and may learn to build your price increases into their estimates.... The only ceiling here is in your mind...
I SMELL MONEY!!!!!!!!
God Bless All,
Daniel

learning

I cut a big cherry tree down for a friend last week Free and then to top it off i helped him stack the firewood......well i just looked at it as practice , but soon the prices are going up , john

Back