work stoppage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I go to my pile to do some splitting yesterday. Splitter is upright from the last time I used it. I gather a few rounds, make it over to check oil and gas. Some twigs are inside the hollow wedge of the mtd splitter. Ha, thats weird. look inside and a jenny wren busts out of the wedge! no I think, look inside and sure enough, 2 babies in the nest. Dang it, guess I'll cut some more. I cant evict them, very good birds and they love the woodpiles. Just my luck, nice and cool here to. So whats kept you from splitting lately ?

Other properties. Took a week vacation so lost a weekend on both sides of that week then my nephew graduated high school. Now the 4th is here and I haven't cut my lawn in 2 weeks and I'm trying to finish a bamboo for in a bedroom. Ugh.

Working on other projects at the cabin. I probably have 5 cords left in rounds, can knock it out in one day if I get free.

I love wrens. My grandpa always had them but I've had trouble getting them to nest. One filled one of my boxes full of twigs this spring but never did nest.

I've got about 3 cord of small maple logs, all less than 12" diameter that have been seasoning in log length for 2 years. They should be dry as a bone, at least the ones on top. I'll get those cut in another week or two. Best part is they won't hardly need any splitting.

Working on other projects at the cabin. I probably have 5 cords left in rounds, can knock it out in one day if I get free.

I love wrens. My grandpa always had them but I've had trouble getting them to nest. One filled one of my boxes full of twigs this spring but never did nest.
I like wrens too.They have a habit of filling every box with twigs in one area then go nest in a tree.

TKR surgery and still healing. Just skidding logs from low places now that it is so dry.

:D Al

So I go to my pile to do some splitting yesterday. Splitter is upright from the last time I used it. I gather a few rounds, make it over to check oil and gas. Some twigs are inside the hollow wedge of the mtd splitter. Ha, thats weird. look inside and a jenny wren busts out of the wedge! no I think, look inside and sure enough, 2 babies in the nest. Dang it, guess I'll cut some more. I cant evict them, very good birds and they love the woodpiles. Just my luck, nice and cool here to. So whats kept you from splitting lately ?

HAHAHAHA, that's a good one, and nice you let the momma bird alone.

Me, been too wuss to do much. No way I am slinging rounds and swinging a fiskars right now.

Had to haul the buncher and delimber to the shop... delimber broke off all the bolts on the final drive sprocket.

Buncher broke the track tension spring, idler bushings and track adjuster....
The spring is about 2". The idler is about 24" to give an idea of size.
20160702_225418.jpg

ValleyFirewood: Sounds expensive, not to mention the work involved.
I've been down one of two saws since February, an 066. Operator error. I dropped a 28" red oak butt on it, 90 degrees from where planned. I should have done several things differently, the least of which would have been to pull the powerhead off after binding the bar. When I did wedge it further, the side of the hinge tore out. Had thought about buying a rope a week prior to dropping it. The fall direction was not critical so I did not do so. Now I wish I had roped it. Beautiful running old saw too, what a shame.
Then the mid-size one went in the shop with an air leak or something, a 357XP.
I bought a new MS 661 to replace the big one, and keep cutting. Nice saw.
My Stihls have lasted decades without mechanical trouble.

Sons first birthday. It was on the first but we're celebrating through Monday. Back on the splitter by Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back