Working hurricanes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet thread.

The only thing that I would add to the discussion about the difference between an ice storm and a 'cane is the amount of ice/wind verses wind.

This past year Gustav was anticlimactic, didn't make it to IKE and I'm not over that yet, but the ice that hit northern Arkansas made up for it some. They were calling it Arkansas' Katrina. Don't know if I'll ever see ICE like that again.

climbing and getting the stuff laying on the houses that is all coated with ice just adds a whole new dimension of danger. Last one we had I had a maple with a huge lead on a house, it and the tree was coated with inches of ice and maybe a foot of wet snow on the house under it. The snow started to melt fast under the sun, and there were big holes in the roof.

Water was just pouring into the house. No putting it off at that point so had to climb (off crane hook luckily til I was tied in) and it had to be detached from tree as well. You WILL see me wearing spikes in a live tree in that situation.

Big profits and no prices quoted on those jobs although a little scary.

Last edited:
Sweet thread.

The only thing that I would add to the discussion about the difference between an ice storm and a 'cane is the amount of ice/wind verses wind.

This past year Gustav was anticlimactic, didn't make it to IKE and I'm not over that yet, but the ice that hit northern Arkansas made up for it some. They were calling it Arkansas' Katrina. Don't know if I'll ever see ICE like that again.

Yeah BT,

A good ice storm can rival or surpass a 'cane for sheer volume of work, but usually the damage-severity factor will be much lower. I've pulled into some real war zones over the years, and it really gets the adreneline flowing. I don't wish bad luck and damage on anyone, but I do enjoy working 'canes.

Yeah BT,

A good ice storm can rival or surpass a 'cane for sheer volume of work, but usually the damage-severity factor will be much lower. I've pulled into some real war zones over the years, and it really gets the adreneline flowing. I don't wish bad luck and damage on anyone, but I do enjoy working 'canes.

Exactly, I didn't start the fire, but I'm sure going to enjoy the challenge of putting it out.

When you say damage-severity factor, you mean in total comprehensive devastation, correct.

Northern Arkansas didn't see the total comprehensive devastation of a cane, but their utility systems did. The trees aren't much to look at either, but this was indeed major ice.

Springfield, Mo. didn't see major ice last year, but as of last year they had seen three storms in roughly the previous 12 month period. They got lucky with no wind on the last one.

I'm looking forward to another season one way or another.

We get torn up here every year with ice and major blows. Grandaddy of all last fall with every road in town closed and no elect for over a week. Been doing storm work for 4 decades and no one is better at it than I am. When the cranes are all rented out I have my own. Worked 4 major ice storms that are very memorable and many smaller ones. No need to chase them as we can count on them as part of yearly income.

The quantity of big wood is diminishing and this is what defines the worst storms. But a huge tree in one place is a totally different animal as the exact tree in another spot. Gotta have the big bucks to make the storms worthwhile.

i've enjoyed hurricanes for the most part. didnt like katrina though. prolly because of the extensive flooding. it was harder to get work than i expected. people dont care about their trees as much when their house has been washed away. also was very widespread compared to most hurricanes i have been to. instead of driving a few miles to find gas and food, you had to drive a hundred

it was harder to get work than i expected. people dont care about their trees as much when their house has been washed away.

That is what I heard, kinda like after a tornado. Since there is nothing standing, what is the point of removing a tree? Sometimes it is all loader work at that point anyway.

That is true. One of the biggest pita s is when the insurance dude shows up as you are getting started and takes notes on every little piece of lattice work, etc. dinged and plans not to cover anything damaged in the process of getting a giant tree off the delicate little box of a house.

Quite often they don't even show up tho.

People think they are shopping for a tree service when the storms hit but in reality I/others are shopping for the best job that you know will be paid directly by the client (they collect from insurance) and getting the jobs that will pay the most in the shortest time span. I sometimes will start 5 or 6 jobs to get the partial performance aspect of a contract.

I sometimes will start 5 or 6 jobs to get the partial performance aspect of a contract.

I have known people who do that, and have always been uncomfortable. The way I' work around that is to contract the hazard work at a higher rate, leaving the agreement to return for follow up as tentative. This way I can get on to other jobs of a similar nature. I will often ask them to refer me to the neighbors, while I am working.

Some of the early storm jobs I did had T&M contracts that were basically time sheets for the crew. There was an agreement for the customer to: pay at $xxx hourly rate, from the last quarter hour, not to exceed $xxxx, paid on completion.

This way one of us lead guys could clock out and start a neighbor as things got done on a property. Some of it was just cutting people out of their driveways, or getting stuff off the house: 45 min @ $225/crew hour would be the end result.

I have known people who do that, and have always been uncomfortable. The way I' work around that is to contract the hazard work at a higher rate, leaving the agreement to return for follow up as tentative. This way I can get on to other jobs of a similar nature. I will often ask them to refer me to the neighbors, while I am working.

Some of the early storm jobs I did had T&M contracts that were basically time sheets for the crew. There was an agreement for the customer to: pay at $xxx hourly rate, from the last quarter hour, not to exceed $xxxx, paid on completion.

This way one of us lead guys could clock out and start a neighbor as things got done on a property. Some of it was just cutting people out of their driveways, or getting stuff off the house: 45 min @ $225/crew hour would be the end result.

I probably should have stated that in another way. We do triage, in other words we work our way down from the highest risk to public and property and leave different degrees of safe with the work area cordoned off when we leave. Nobody is gonna get hurt once I take on a job. The house I will post a picture of (and have before, just saved it for example) was condemned for 2 days until we got the big elm off. Nobody goes in, out or near the house but us
attachment.php

I never liked working for an hourly rate. You got people watching you out the window and writing when you go in the bushes for a piss.

Sometimes we are making $500. man hour. They would gag. If they don't know they quite often see you as a hero of sorts.

Biggest difference is that more ice-damaged trees can--and should--be repaired, while hurricane damaged trees typically have less to work with. Either way the best rewards are from restoring damaged trees, and watching them grow back.

attached is an "after" pic of a severely damaged tree that sanborn may recall. Most of those 6" wounds left closed completely within 5 years. :clap: With only one restoration pruning, prognosis is excellent.

Biggest difference is that more ice-damaged trees can--and should--be repaired, while hurricane damaged trees typically have less to work with. Either way the best rewards are from restoring damaged trees, and watching them grow back.

attached is an "after" pic of a severely damaged tree that sanborn may recall. Most of those 6" wounds left closed completely within 5 years. :clap: With only one restoration pruning, prognosis is excellent.

there is quite often a huge benefit to getting an aerial to the tree. You can make much more delicate cuts and leave more as a result (equals better chance of survival/quicker recovery. may want to aeriate the soil from truck compaction afterwards.

there is quite often a huge benefit to getting an aerial to the tree. You can make much more delicate cuts and leave more as a result (equals better chance of survival/quicker recovery.
there is also a huge benefit to knowing how to climb and use pole tools. that tree like 99% of all I do is rope and saddle. that tree was pruned by an above average but not exceptional climber who's about 5'4". Willow oaks are generally very easy to climb.

Its a lost art for sure Guy. Most climbers around here never get about a foot away from the trunk. A good pole saw and clipper will set you back 500 bucks but will make untold amounts of money in their lifetime.

Stumpgrinding this year is going to be the extent of my chasing, Will have gear on hand but I'm going purely for the stumps.

Camping and in fast attack. I am planning on heading out to anything east of Texas and as far north as Virginia. Self contained for a week. Hit it hard and leave. Got most everything in order now, need to get some signs and more stump teeth. Truck is all setup and ready to roll.

This is just something I have been wanting to tackle for a few years. Might not turn into anything.

I made just over $9k in 11 days ($7k of that in 4 days) in Beaumont/Houston after Ike last year doing just stumps.

Thats what I'm talking about. I have everything setup on one truck. No trailers to worry with and I'll be camping, So not really a big deal on finding a place to stay. I'll tie up my hammock in a parking lot if I have to. Food and water for a week. May need Ice hopefully that will not be to hard to find. Small generator and air compressor. And a few spare parts to get through.

Thats what I'm talking about. I have everything setup on one truck. No trailers to worry with and I'll be camping, So not really a big deal on finding a place to stay. I'll tie up my hammock in a parking lot if I have to. Food and water for a week. May need Ice hopefully that will not be to hard to find. Small generator and air compressor. And a few spare parts to get through.

I've slept on my ropes camped out doing storm work. 10.7 on my first job during the 07 ice storm here. Next two jobs were 6.3 and 5.5. Hell of a week!

Ya! I remember the slate roofs and real rought iron fences.

Do you have any pictures where I cut above the tear, leaving some of the broken wood on?

My thing for grinding is hit the small jobs that people are passing up. I would rather get in and get out and keep myself visible for more jobs. A large job would be cool, but I might put it off to get more exposure to start with.

Latest posts

Back