Working off a ladder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know that the accepted advice here is never to work off a ladder with a chain saw. However (and there is always an exception) I may not have any other option here. I have a 40" +/- dbh white ash that is 90% dead and I would like to drop it this spring. It's in the middle of the woods and there is one large limb, about 10" diameter and 10' off the ground, that will prevent this tree from making a clean drop. The limb wraps itself around the backside of a sugar maple and the maple is big enough to rotate the ash around the stump and send it off in a bad direction, or even worse, hang it up.

My thought is, if I can get up a ladder (I'm NOT a climber, have no training and no equipment other than PPE) and carefully drop the limb, I can take the rest of the tree without incident. I have seen the utility guys ladder a pole and tie off the ladder - but they are not working with a running chainsaw. I suppose I could cut through it with a non-powered pole saw but it would take me an hour to hack that sucker off. I don't have a top-handle chainsaw either, so I'd like to be able to use both hands. Can't get a vehicle anywhere near the tree or I'd just stand in the bucket of my tractor.

Any thoughts on a reasonably safe way to do this? The limb will drop clean if I can just get to it.

There is a reason everyone says don't cut from a ladder. It only takes on slip one time to make lasting effects!! :dizzy: :cry:

(And for a not so PC answer)

10' doesn't seem too terribly high to me. I might be inclined to just go for it, trying to keep as much room between me and the limb as possibly without overextending myself too far... MOST IMPORTANTLY, do not take pictures and post them on the web even after the limb is safely down, lest you like the attack dogs.

P.S. For legal reasons I don't condone this
:hmm3grin2orange:

. . . there is one large limb, about 10" diameter and 10' off the ground, that will prevent this tree from making a clean drop. . .
Any thoughts on a reasonably safe way to do this? The limb will drop clean if I can just get to it.

Rent a (powered) pole saw. Cut it off in sections.

Philbert.

Oh for the sake of sanity ( which is dwindling) post some dam pics of what you got going on or just hire one of us to help you.

If you insist on doing it at least tie the ladder off and see if you can rig some sort of fall protection above you (high enough so you won't hit the ground). I.E. full harness etc...

Renting the powered pole saw, or borrowing one, seems like sound advice. Advice I hadn't thought of.

I'd be fine with hiring someone if this was a job that needed a pro, but this fool tree's out in the middle of the woods and I could literally drop it in any direction without damaging anything but other trees. The problem lies with just this one stinkin' limb. Can it go another direction? Yes - if I want to hang it up on purpose. If the limb was gone I'd have no problems at all with this tree.

I'm not saying I really should be on a ladder. I've done it before - 12 years of being a volunteer firefighter, hanging off a ladder with a Univent saw, but this is different and requires more brains than balls. I was just asking for suggestions.

I take my flaming w/ you...Just make sure you cut the under side first, then from the top so the limb falls stait down versus swings in to the ladder...

Last edited:
I take my flaming w/ you...Just make sure you cut the under side first, then from the top so the limb falls stait down versus swings in to the ladder...

outdoor, I have a feeling we're both gonna get booted from this section of the forum for blasphemy :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Honestly, the pole saw sounds like the best option to me. :cheers:

you could try to snap the limb off with a rope or make two cuts then snap it off so your not on the ladder!? And if things don't work out my name is Osama Binladin and I live at 22 Dusty trail In the mountains of Afghanistan

if the ladder is not resting on the limb your cutting and you can have a reasonable distance between the limb and the ladder in an angle which will not in the direction of 'drop' of the limb you are removing. i think yes. be carefull though.

I see this all the time. People see the fancy (if I may) gear we use daily to do what we do to make a living. Then they try and figure out how to do it with just an old chainsaw from under the bench. And an old ladder stuffed behind the garage.

We don't buy this #### to look cool. We buy it because that's what it takes to do most tree jobs. If you guys figure out a safe way to do this without spending any money let me know would ya and I'll sell this gear of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
People DIE trying to do this...

Far better to get a pole saw, cut small bits off starting out as far towards the tip as you can. Undercut first then topcut to prevent pinching the saw or having the branch swing too much.

IF, God forbid, you get up on a ladder, no wait, never mind DON'T get up in a ladder:dizzy:

A guy died here two years ago cutting from a ladder and my elderly neighbour broke his femur and lower leg last year cutting trees from a ladder!!!

:monkey: Just had a funny thought.

Wonder how many guys are on a mechanics sites right now, trying to figure out how to overhaul an engine with a handful of tools dad gave'em as a teen and the Craftsman socket set the kids gave them for Fathers Day.

Last edited:
if it's in the woods and there are no targets except other trees what's your need to take it down? and also if it falls down and you're not around does it make a noise?

Back