Working uglies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
workinguglies.jpg

My pile of uglies (knots, crotches, twisties, etc.) was getting a bit big. I drug the splitter out this morning to work through it. Ran one full tank of gas through leaving 5 or 6 chunks as "seed" for the next pile :)

I hand split all that I can. I need all the exercise I can get and that is a pleasurable way to get it. I haul a garden trailer full of 'fun of the stack' chunks off that pile behind the splitter to my splitting area:

splitting-1.jpg

Load is usually 6-8 big rounds plus some 6" or under limbwood pieces. Start my day if I don't hae anything else going by splitting/stacking that. Then haul another load so it is ready for the next day.

As I work through each load there is usually 2-3 chunks that won't split well so that go back down to the 'splitter'.

Of course while working through that pile with the splitter there are always some chunks that won't split decently - those get tossed to the side and build up a pile of "need to be noodled" stuff. You can just see that pile building behind the splitter. Most are whittled down on the splitter so they only need to meet Mr. 361 once.

Can you tell I'm a bit bored these days with nothing to cut?

Harry K

Nice pile of wood!

And if ya want and need some more exercise...might want to restack that pile in the background a scosh more up and down straight...
HAHAHAHAHA

I've had a few turn out like that...I always blame it on "earth changes"

"Dang Earth's axis tilted last night, I swear"! or "hey, didya feel that 'quake last night"? heheheheh

Earlier last month I was repairing the smashed brick chimney here. So I laid a few courses..got back down on the ground, stepped back into the yard a bit, looked up..decided when I get done the whole thing is gonna get wrapped in chicken wire and stuccoed.....no way am I gonna stare at that misshapen mess forever. Looks like larry moe and curly were at it following an all night kegger....

And if ya want and need some more exercise...might want to restack that pile in the background a scosh more up and down straight...
HAHAHAHAHA

I've had a few turn out like that...I always blame it on "earth changes"

"Dang Earth's axis tilted last night, I swear"! or "hey, didya feel that 'quake last night"? heheheheh

Earlier last month I was repairing the smashed brick chimney here. So I laid a few courses..got back down on the ground, stepped back into the yard a bit, looked up..decided when I get done the whole thing is gonna get wrapped in chicken wire and stuccoed.....no way am I gonna stare at that misshapen mess forever. Looks like larry moe and curly were at it following an all night kegger....

My 'temporary" stacks are built that way to keep them from falling over 'front wise'. The split stuff is also stacked with a lean but not to that extent. I hate repiling fallen over ricks and when they are 6'+ tall it makes a big mess when they do fall.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back