worst wood to chip with what chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formationrx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
this might help someone out.... when i m bidding a job-- i always think, "how hard is it going to be to chip up this mess?"

what is the worst wood to chip? please include the chipper...

these are my suggestions...

1. dead locust with thorns.... using any slow feeding disc type chipper .... this can jab you into a bloody mess

2. scrub pine packed with cones......using an old ###plunderer drum or a vermeer 1600 drum (chuck and duck).... this will rake the hell out of you!

3. awkward hairy mulberry ... with any chipper ... this is always a pain in the ass because of all the hang ups....

hawthorn, wild rose, poison ivy, sycamore (I always wear a bandana over my face for sycamore) and osage orange just to name a few of my favorites. All for obvious reasons and doesn't matter what machine your using - they all suck to chip

Oh and that one little tree with the hornet nest that nobody noticed..

Try one of these on summer day :bang::blob2:

Lagunaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In many parts of Australia, Lagunaria is considered a pest, and is commonly referred to as the "Itchy Bomb tree" due to the tiny, almost invisible, hairs inside the seed pods which, if the seeds pods are split open, can lodge in the skin like tiny barbs of broken glass, causing a great deal of pain.

And many Muni or local gov planted them on mass in the 70ies so there are street of the SOB when it hit the chipper rollers feeds, puff you got itch pain grief.

Number 2 be dead gum with a Whisper duck n chuck on stinkin hot day.....

Try one of these on summer day :bang::blob2:

Lagunaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In many parts of Australia, Lagunaria is considered a pest, and is commonly referred to as the "Itchy Bomb tree" due to the tiny, almost invisible, hairs inside the seed pods which, if the seeds pods are split open, can lodge in the skin like tiny barbs of broken glass, causing a great deal of pain.

And many Muni or local gov planted them on mass in the 70ies so there are street of the SOB when it hit the chipper rollers feeds, puff you got itch pain grief.

Number 2 be dead gum with a Whisper duck n chuck on stinkin hot day.....

wow id pass on one of those for sure.

Don't pass on them, just postpone till winter so you can stand to wear a full enviro suit and charge double or maybe even triple rate for the trouble.
Rick

Wet white elm, we have a i wanna say morbark chipper not sure atm, but its 18'' and 326hp turbo cummins diesel, last year we cut down two big elms right after a heavy rain fall. Chipper had a hell of a day lol

Worst one on a person is Muleberry, Sour Gum or Blackjack Oak.Worst one on a machine is Any of the real dense Hardwoods when they are dead.

muleberry? Is that the same as a donkeyberry? haven't run into one of those yet
JK:msp_smile:

we have a county contract for river and creek ROW work so we chip trees that come out of the drink. Nothing like slimy 100% waterlogged crap 1/2 makes in into the truck the other 1/2 dumps out of the discharge into a garbage can behing the truck:bang:

I once chipped a rather large ##### Willow with a Dr chipper. The problem wasn't so much the material that we were chipping, so much as the Dr just didn't seem to have it.... I'm still not certain what happened....

Latest posts

Back