Would a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck be better for me??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new heavy duty pickup truck. It's going to be my daily driver but more so my work truck. I'm going to go with a new '13 or '14 Ext./Crew Cab Short Box, gas engine, 4x4, auto trans., 4.10 gear limited slip/locker rear diff., (tow & plow pkg.)

I'm not sure if I should go with a 3/4 or 1 ton? Price wise there about the same. With gas engines their towing capacities are about the same. Their payload capacities are higher in the 1 tons. I will be hauling stuff in the box, but I don't think I'd over load a 3/4 ton.....I don't think.

I'm going to use the truck for plowing and towing trailers. My regular trailers will weigh between 4-7,000 lbs. so they're not really a lot. Although I'll most likely be towing daily in the warmer months for mowing lawns and lots, so I guess the stress of day to day towing can add up over time. I also do a little bit of off roading during hunting season, nothing to serious though.

I'm probably going to go with a Fisher or Western 8 ft. or 8 1/2 ft. plow 650 to 750 lbs. I'll be doing a lot of residential plowing so I can't go to big. The last two winters here in Central New York have been real mild. However, some years, more often then not, we have some pretty bad winters with some serious plowing. I want to make sure I get a truck that can handle everything I'm going to use it for.

Would it be worth getting a 1 ton just to have a heavier duty truck? What would the "pro's and con's" be by going with one over the other? I'm not buying this new truck with gas mileage as a main concern. However, how much different can I expect the mileage to be while just driving normally while NOT plowing, towing or off roading from my current 2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4, Hemi, auto, 3.92, anti spin rear? I get about 10 mpg city and about 15/16 highway? I'd like to think they'd be close.....is my thinking close or no?

Thanks, NYH1.

2013 Chevy 3/4 Ton

Don't know 3/4 Ton vs 1 Ton but I can quote Chevy vs Ford. My father in law just got a 2013 Chevy 3/4 Ton Crew Cab with the 6.0 Liter. He is getting 10 in the city and 14 on the highway. I've got a 6.2 Liter in my F150 Raptor and prior to adding the blower I was getting 11 in the city and 15 on the highway (with the blower I picked up another 1.5 mpg). Put my engine in a Ford 3/4 ton without the blower and I bet they are about equal.

My biggest issue with the Chevy...the rear end. He got in a little mud the other day and the limited slip never did a thing. He was stuck before he even had time to think 4X4. After walking 2 miles through the woods at night to get my truck to pull him out I decided I'll never have another truck without a user selectable fully locking rear end.

Josh

Towing daily I'd go 1 ton. Bigger brakes, springs etc will be a benefit in the long run. Plowing seems a little secondary and I'd make the exception on that end as towing all summer will be the bread and butter. No one ever says I bought too much...only not enough truck.

My biggest issue with the Chevy...the rear end. He got in a little mud the other day and the limited slip never did a thing. He was stuck before he even had time to think 4X4. After walking 2 miles through the woods at night to get my truck to pull him out I decided I'll never have another truck without a user selectable fully locking rear end.

Josh

The rear end in the Chevy only locks up until you hit 25 or 35 mph. If you gun it to get out of a mud hole, it doesnt take to get the wheels spinning over 35.

-Jason

Most trucks now are the same in 3/4 and 1 ton for the axles and brakes. I did notice the insurance on a ton is a few dollars cheaper a month than a 3/4 ton.

I've had a 1 ton Dodge Diesel with the short wheel base since 2003. It handles a load well but if I can ever afford another pickup I will be sure to get a dually. It just leans too much with a full load on the steep windy roads of the West. I think most 3/4 ton and 1 tons are mostly the same. I think Dodges have one extra spring and a 11.5 rear end instead of a 10.5 inch.

Old thread but for 4 to 7k trailers there is no need for a dually. A 1 ton or 3/4 single rear will easily handle that. If your pulling 8 or 10 k or more then you might want a dually. Otherwise there a pain. Have to buy 6 tires, real wide, not good in snow.

i own a 1984 single wheel one-ton GMC, w a small block/th400/np205 and its as close to bullet proof as it gets. it does require a little tinkering periodically, but i guess it depends on what your after. agree with single wheel, and agree that differences these days between tons and 3/4s are almost indistinguishable. As for wheel size, not sure why big wheels are so popular (ever looked at the cost of 19.5" load E tires??!!) enough to give a guy nightmares.......

heres my 2 bits... dodge make by far the strongest frame on the market today, almost no flex in the extreme test they put it trough and ford was twisted to high hell. also dodge apparently has the nicest and most comfortable interior of the main 3 truck manufactures

Too bad Dodge still hasn't addressed front ends and tranny issues. These have always been the weak points for them. Chevy beefed up their frames around 2012-13, Plowing wise Ford front end still wins. Each have their issues- not here to revisit brand name war. I plow- have for many years my 99 f350 1t v10 is still pounding along ( went with that vs Diesel due to Epa screwing with fuel) I don't tow much but that is where the Diesel has advantage on the long hauls. Have an 06 f250 except for the 5.4l pretty much can due anything the 99 can, just has to work harder in some situations due to the hp difference. If your plowing a dually is not the right choice. Worst thing about all of these is is how thin the sheet metal is in the box particularly the box head end. If you are going to be using the box for a lot of hauling get a cab and chassis and an aftermarket box , bed or what ever- money ahead. Just picked up a 8ft alum. flat bed for the 99 box got destroyed by tire tread separation from carcass, that was fun. fact 3 out 5 of these tires all developed belt problems. I won't name brands but check for the load rating on the tires. You want at least a 121 or better this not the side wall letter rating which should be E or or more. Not a fan of "Ghetto Cruiser" wheels and tires. If your plowing, tall thinner tires due more for you than fat flotation types. I am old school its supposed to be a truck. The new stuff sure ain't what it use to be body integrity wise. Oh almost for got if plowing get the plow package, I know its a bit of a rip off dollar wise but on a new unit ya gots to deal with warranty issues which will be void without.

I agree dodge does have issues with their front end and them damn asin trannys. and sheet metal aint nothing like it used to be. i remember about 8 years ago when i was 9 my great uncle lester and i were at his house out in MT up in the hills by helena and he dropped a oak about 26" around and the wind pushed it back and it pivoted ontho the box of his 78 powerwagon... fortunatly it only dented in the wall of the about 3-4 inches

I agree dodge does have issues with their front end and them damn asin trannys.
yup!! box got rid of his 91 chevy junk tonner,,that ate gas like a pig,,and bought a 2007 dodge tonner dsl..he said what a bargain..........yeah.....from day one I started driving it, [ and I used to overhaul trans], I could feel it breaking loose in first......worse if I was pulling a heavier implement.....pulling a light hay rake, no problem. I talked to the dodge mech, he said lets try and do a trans reprogram first. so hes gonna try. but me thinks,,boss will be putting to get a new trans in. and il bet money to a buck,,thats why the city that did have it sold it......its a extend tonner,,with a big dump bed on it...cant guess what caused it,right?????????? :dizzy::dizzy:

I've not had any problems with the transmission in my 11 3500 dodge. I've left the quarry with a dump trailer of rock at 25.5k. These newer 6 speeds seem to be a lot tougher than the older 4 speeds.

I have a old 2003 Duramax one ton dually. It does not go out of the driveway if it isn't hauling something heavy. It has been a great truck. My last load of hay was 26,000 pounds GCVW on the 5th wheel trailer> It sucked diesel being 4k overloaded but it got it there with no complaints. I like a standard transmission but the Allison is the only logical choice in automatics. Go Allison or go home with an auto trans. The others are just a expensive joke.
chevys the only brand of truck,, aint it???

Latest posts

Back