Would an arborist do this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think and hope you’re talking about the topping. I’m cutting anything that hangs over my line.
I think and hope you’re talking about the topping. I’m cutting anything that hangs over my line.
Not sure which comment you meant? Of course you can cut what hangs over the property line but you can’t actually cause damage to their trees by law. I just think that some people get carried away when doing that.

Is the tree that was topped in one of the photos?

Yes, in the first photo. It’s a little hard to see but the top actually got caught on some branches on top left side of photo.

Attachments

• 8794965A-8F85-4E2C-966E-0418EC2C7057.jpeg
    8794965A-8F85-4E2C-966E-0418EC2C7057.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 1
Yes, in the first photo. It’s a little hard to see but the top actually got caught on some branches on top left side of photo.
I don't see an evergreen in that photo, sorry, but I guess it doesn't really matter. It seems quite odd that they would have gone onto your property specifically to top one evergreen, while otherwise sticking to the law and following the property line with their other cuts. Is it possible that one of the branches they cut from a bigger tree broke the leader on its way down, and all they were doing was making a cleaner cut?

Condolences on your unfriendly tree-hating new neighbor. Unfortunately, I have read that in many or even most jurisdictions it is legal for a property owner to cut encroaching foliage AND roots at the property line even if that damages or kills the neighbor's plants. Might want to consult a lawyer to find out for sure what the law (including caselaw) is where you live. For mental preparedness, mainly. Engaging in lawsuits is nowadays really only for the rich or the desperate. There is (was?) supposed to be a glut of lawyers, but somehow that doesn't seem to have put downward pressure on their hourly rates. The sole bright spot for normal people is small-claims court, but you can only get money damages that way.

I don't see an evergreen in that photo, sorry, but I guess it doesn't really matter. It seems quite odd that they would have gone onto your property specifically to top one evergreen, while otherwise sticking to the law and following the property line with their other cuts. Is it possible that one of the branches they cut from a bigger tree broke the leader on its way down, and all they were doing was making a cleaner cut?

Condolences on your unfriendly tree-hating new neighbor. Unfortunately, I have read that in many or even most jurisdictions it is legal for a property owner to cut encroaching foliage AND roots at the property line even if that damages or kills the neighbor's plants. Might want to consult a lawyer to find out for sure what the law (including caselaw) is where you live. For mental preparedness, mainly. Engaging in lawsuits is nowadays really only for the rich or the desperate. There is (was?) supposed to be a glut of lawyers, but somehow that doesn't seem to have put downward pressure on their hourly rates. The sole bright spot for normal people is small-claims court, but you can only get money damages that way.
The evergreen is under and to the right of the taller tree canopy. All of the trees were on my property near the property line. It wasn’t a branch from another tree. I saw them top it, couldn’t believe my eyes. Thank you though, I can’t understand why some people hate trees so much. Everyone who has lived next door has cut down trees (80 ft oaks) or shown complete disregard like this neighbor. This neighborhood is full of big, old growth trees and even some woods but they act like it’s a clear cut area. I probably won’t sue because the trees they damaged aren’t dead yet and are probably only worth a couple thousand or so. Also, I’d hate to make an enemy out of a new neighbor especially since I have a lot of trees bordering his property. I’ll probably just try to keep an eye out for pests and disease and hope I can keep them alive. He really didn’t seem that concerned about what had been done though so we’ll see.

The evergreen is under and to the right of the taller tree canopy. All of the trees were on my property near the property line. It wasn’t a branch from another tree. I saw them top it, couldn’t believe my eyes. Thank you though, I can’t understand why some people hate trees so much. Everyone who has lived next door has cut down trees (80 ft oaks) or shown complete disregard like this neighbor. This neighborhood is full of big, old growth trees and even some woods but they act like it’s a clear cut area. I probably won’t sue because the trees they damaged aren’t dead yet and are probably only worth a couple thousand or so. Also, I’d hate to make an enemy out of a new neighbor especially since I have a lot of trees bordering his property. I’ll probably just try to keep an eye out for pests and disease and hope I can keep them alive. He really didn’t seem that concerned about what had been done though so we’ll see.
Topping may lead to the eventual death of your tree, but won't kill it directly (unless they cut off something like half the whole tree). What you'll probably get is several weak new branches growing up and out from the wound in different directions, together creating sort of a cup shape where the leader should be and ruining the appearance of the tree. If you're lucky one of these branches will become a new leader, though you will always see the curve, and the point of origin of that branch-turned-leader will always be a weak spot.

As for the side branches on the other tree, the big conifers I see growing wild in the woods have plenty of broken side-branch stubs and it doesn't seem to bother them much, so the tree is probably just fine - but what they did there is certainly an eyesore!

Latest posts

Back