Would I need traffic control?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant compare any state, city or town to any other. Everyone city has didfferant ordinance governing such. For instance the city of Hartford in Ct. if you are going to have any worker or piece of equipment or a vehicle tire touching the road you MUST hire a cop. But other towns in the suberbs you can get away with a flagman from your crew. Those that pointed out checking with local PD are right on the money. Some towns also have ordinance stating that doing tree work with in X number of feet of the road you have to hire traffic control. Even if your not working in the street if its a busy road rubber neckers watching the cool tree guys can cause a traffic problem that will get you a visit from the locals.
flagman.jpg

Over here you must be certified for traffic control, which I am. Nonetheless I think there is good advice posted here. Check your local regs and conform. Tree on road is bad. Tree on car is very bad.

Like JPS said, it really depends on what the word "busy" means. How many lanes of traffic have to be blocked, amount of traffic, etc. I wouldn't try and block a highly traveled and visible main street downtown without notifying authorities and using the right channels but just yesterday I shut down a a whole road for 3 hours with some trucks and cones. But it was only a half mile long shortcut out in the country that people used to avoid an intersection. I double checked with all the residents on the street and they were fine. Saved us a good 2-3 hours on the job and I didn't need the extra man power to guide traffic. Set our chipper and truck right on the road, laid some plywood out under the tree, stacked some brush and logs on top of that and bombs away!

First check with the city to see if the tree is considered a "street tree" and go from there.

I would most definitely get a police detail. I am not sure if they charge where you are for one but they may not. The police will come and either set a detour or completely stop traffic while you and your men get the tree out of the road if it falls in the road.

Have a man with a saw ready to start bucking, and two groundmen ready just in case your tree falls in the road. If it does get it out of the road as quick as possible that way you keep traffic flowing.

Also, if there is risk, make sure you don't do it during morning commute hours. I'd wait until atleast 9AM beforere I started the work.

If you have to, tie a rope off up high to make sure it drops the right way. And as far as details go, you should be able to stop traffic for a minute or two while it drops. Delivery guys do it all the time, stopping or diverting traffic to do their job. Yours shouldn't be any different. What are the odds of something wrong happening compared to what the detail would cost? Compare and go for it.

ARound here, police don't do any traffic control except in emergencies and big sporting events (and then it is usually auxillaries). We have several traffic control contractors with certified flaggers who do the bulk of the traffic control work for construction companies, paving companies and tree companies.

Back