Would like an educated opinion on a couple of saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootsie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 2 chainsaws currently. I did a lot of research before I bought my first brand new saw and came home with an Echo cs-370. From what I could gather through my research most of the other big names (Stihl, Husky, Jonsered) cheap out on their small saws. In fact the Huskys are just orange Poulans. What do you guys think of the saw. I think it is a great saw for the size and I will buy another Echo in an instant. I recently aquired a Stihl 034 from a crown assets auction for 80.00$ CAD. What is the biggest bar I can put on it without sacrificing too much performance and what are these saws like. Thanks for the replies in advance.

:greenchainsaw:

I can't give you an opinion on the Echo, dont have one. Otherwise I have heard well of the Echo line. As for the bar length on the Stihl. I would say 20" would be the ideal length and maybe a 24" when you really need the extra lenght. If you are cutting just for homeowner, I dont think you would need the bigger bar. Time will tell!:greenchainsaw:

I have 2 chainsaws currently. I did a lot of research before I bought my first brand new saw and came home with an Echo cs-370. From what I could gather through my research most of the other big names (Stihl, Husky, Jonsered) cheap out on their small saws. In fact the Huskys are just orange Poulans. What do you guys think of the saw. I think it is a great saw for the size and I will buy another Echo in an instant. I recently aquired a Stihl 034 from a crown assets auction for 80.00$ CAD. What is the biggest bar I can put on it without sacrificing too much performance and what are these saws like. Thanks for the replies in advance.

:greenchainsaw:

Huskies are Poulans? Small saws are " cheaped out"? What in the heck are you on? :dizzy: Maybe you should stop getting saws from Home Depot, it kinda sounds like that may be the problem.

Huskies are Poulans? Small saws are " cheaped out"? What in the heck are you on? :dizzy: Maybe you should stop getting saws from Home Depot, it kinda sounds like that may be the problem.

Maybe you need to do some research of your own. The Echo was bought at a reputable local dealer who also sells Shindaiwa, Stihl, and Husky. They were the ones who informed me that small Huskies, in particular the 137 at the time was in fact an orange Poulan.

I am not an idiot, I have a lot of experience with small engine repair and in fact I am a heavy marine mechanic. I was asking for an opinion that is all, not to be made to sound like a fool. Chainsaws are not my area of great expertise and that is why I asked. :monkey:

Heard good stuff about echo, never used one of their saws. have had good experience with their trimmers though. the 034 will last you forever if you take care of it. as for the husky's sold at lowes, they are their homeowner lines, so both being owned by electrolux, some of them are kind of like orange poulans. the stihl homeowner line is just that too..a homeowner line. definately better than some others, but no homeowner saw is gonna hang with a pro saw. most of the people that buy saws from lowes or home depot (with the exception of maybe a husky 350 or 455 or the makita HD has) are only gonna use it a couple times anyway. congrats on the new saws and enjoy:givebeer:

Most layman folks have no idea Husky even makes pro saws. If it's a husky, it's just assumed it was bought at Lowes or Tractor Supply. This is weird to folks here on AS but seems like that's how it is unfortunately. I have a few friends who think they can get my 372xp or 346 at Lowes for 400 bucks. HA.

Maybe you need to do some research of your own. The Echo was bought at a reputable local dealer who also sells Shindaiwa, Stihl, and Husky. They were the ones who informed me that small Huskies, in particular the 137 at the time was in fact an orange Poulan.

I am not an idiot, I have a lot of experience with small engine repair and in fact I am a heavy marine mechanic. I was asking for an opinion that is all, not to be made to sound like a fool. Chainsaws are not my area of great expertise and that is why I asked. :monkey:

Hey there Bootsie, the guys in the chainsaw forum can explain to you that it's all in the porting and carburetion that distinguishes a pro saw from a homeowner saw. Both stihl and husky make or retag their names onto cheaper homeowner models.

With husky, I believe the XP designation ensures it's a pro ported saw.
With stihl I'm not positive of the proper designation, so I'll simply say the real expensive models are the pro models.

Good luck Bootsie!

jomoco

I have also looked at the Sachs Dolmar (Makita) saws. From what I have read they are a good saw as well. I knew there was a difference from pro saws and home owners saws. I just was not sure exactly what it was. Heavier contruction and things of that nature. Thanks for the positive feed back. Keep em coming.

My advice regarding the Echo is to ask for opinions before you buy and give opinions after you buy - you'll be much happier than the other way around!

Regarding the right size bar for the 034 Stihl, I don't know. An offhand guess would be about 16-20" would be appropriate for its displacement. :confused:

My advice regarding the Echo is to ask for opinions before you buy and give opinions after you buy - you'll be much happier than the other way around!

Regarding the right size bar for the 034 Stihl, I don't know. An offhand guess would be about 16-20" would be appropriate for its displacement. :confused:

Fair enough, I just wanted to see what other professionals thought of Echo products and wanted to hear any advice people had about them. I am happy so far. But I am sure there are people on this forum who have had troubles with Echo products, just like anything else that is mass produced.

the guys in the chainsaw forum can explain to you that it's all in the porting and carburetion that distinguishes a pro saw from a homeowner saw

don't forget the mag crackcase...plastic on most homeowner models

I have also looked at the Sachs Dolmar (Makita) saws. From what I have read they are a good saw as well. I knew there was a difference from pro saws and home owners saws. I just was not sure exactly what it was. Heavier contruction and things of that nature. Thanks for the positive feed back. Keep em coming.

dolmar makes great saws. they got some real hot rods in their lineup. wish i had one..or two..or three

I've had my Echo 34 for a coupla years now and its proven to be a well-balanced, reliable and hungry little screamer for trimming , climbing, and any general, small diameter cutting. Big heart, small full tank. :chainsaw:
~Longshot

Back