Would like some advice on some big trees... (doug fir, cedar - cable / cut?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrunbike

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had a few tree companies come out to take a look at possible hazard trees on my lot and was hoping to get the "second" opinion from a few of the experts here! I understand there's somewhat of an ongoing debate between cabling vs. cutting down all together and I think I understand most of the trade-offs. That being said - I'd appreciate any comments on the pictures/questions below.

Thanks!

View attachment 263079
View attachment 263080
First up - a very large cedar that is about 6' wide at the base and splits into three trunks about 10-12' up. If the left half of the tree fell (from the point of view of the pictures), it would take out our house. We've had recommendations to either cable or cut down the whole thing. One person said the tree was "too big" to cable. Is there such a thing - a tree that is too big to cable? Also, if it is cabled and maintained properly, what typically happens in this if the cables fail or the tree cracks - do the cables still have a good chance of keeping the cabled part from falling completely down? We're stuck in the typical quandary of "we want to save the tree but we want to be safe."

View attachment 263083
Next - another cedar that splits into two trunks, though this one is smaller and the split is at ground level. The left one, as you can see (in the middle-right of the picture above), is leaning towards the house. What do you think?

Also visible in the picture above are two large doug firs with some mounding on the ground at their bases. They are a little farther away than the cedars above and the mounds are more of a brownish color compared to the green grass.

Here are a couple of closer pictures of the doug firs:
View attachment 263086
View attachment 263088

The folks that have come out have said that the trees appear healthy but there has been a little bit of disagreement on the mounding. The trees lean a tiny bit in the direction opposite of the mounds, which also means they are leaning away from the house. I think we would deadwood and windsail them, at a minimum, if they are not a threat to the house (and people inside).

We're having an independent arborist out soon but don't want to leave any stone un-turned and have had good luck with advice on forums in the past. Thanks for taking a look and chiming in...we appreciate any feedback!

If those trees were leaning over my house I'd take them out. You can always plant more. I admire your attitude about keeping the trees but why take a chance.

As to cabling, I don't know much about it. But I do know about trees falling on houses. Lose the cedars, keep the fir.

Last edited:
If that mounding is recent, that is not a good sign. To my eye, that tree is already failing, whereas the others have a potential for failure. As for the cedars, I don't know that anything is "too big to cable", but I imagine the cost/benefit ratio would make that decision for you. I would pull it, and I am a dedicated (and professional) conservationist.

Regardless, free advice and all....

Unless a tree is obviously in failure mode, there can be trees that are just as high risk but less obvious. A house built on a lot that had been partially cleared sets you up for several failure scenarios:

Construction damage weakening root systems;

Opening the stand, causing greater wind speeds to hit trees that had been protected previously, and may have a high crown and little taper;

Delayed construction damage issues, such as root and butt rot decay;

Pre-existing conditions that pose risk independent of changes to the site, simply because there are now targets.

I am purposely being a bit "wonkish" with these scenarios because you really need a consulting arborist to walk the site and provide you with a written, preliminary risk assessment of all large trees based on visual assessment. i would probably charge around $500 for this, based on a couple hrs on site and a couple more at my desk. I hold down costs by sending electronic reports with a link to lots of captioned photos.

This is not an advertisement for my services -- just advice.

Thanks all.

I don't know long the mounding at the bases of the firs has been around. It was there when we moved in two years ago and can't talk to the previous/original owner. The house was built in '90 - it seems like most of the smaller trees were planted around then but the big ones were obviously around when it was built.

We're leaning towards keeping the firs (but probably thinning/windsailing them a bit) and taking out the cedars. I'm still somewhat undecided on the biggest cedar, though.

There's an arborist coming out this afternoon to do an independent assessment (they won't be trying to sell us their services for removing/dealing with the trees) and that will help us with the final decisions.

I'll post back after we get the report.

Thanks all.

I don't know long the mounding at the bases of the firs has been around. It was there when we moved in two years ago and can't talk to the previous/original owner. The house was built in '90 - it seems like most of the smaller trees were planted around then but the big ones were obviously around when it was built.

We're leaning towards keeping the firs (but probably thinning/windsailing them a bit) and taking out the cedars. I'm still somewhat undecided on the biggest cedar, though.

There's an arborist coming out this afternoon to do an independent assessment (they won't be trying to sell us their services for removing/dealing with the trees) and that will help us with the final decisions.

I'll post back after we get the report.

Good decision. You will still have to make decisions about what to do about the large trees, once you have the arborist's recommendations in hand.

Latest posts

Back