Would you buy this? Advice Please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So this guy milled up a bunch of walnut and oak, about 1/2'' thick and as the picture shows he didn't add any spacers. The wood is cheap - about 100 lengths, about 8-10 feet long for 100$. He says it has been sitting for a year and a half. Without air will the wood in the center of a bundle still be wet, or worse rotting and useless? Anybody have any experience with this type of stacking? The price suggests he may have realized he stacked it poorly and now hes trying to get rid of it. The wood has been stored inside a barn for the majority of the time so he tells me. Could it still be salvaged? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So this guy milled up a bunch of walnut and oak, about 1/2'' thick and as the picture shows he didn't add any spacers. The wood is cheap - about 100 lengths, about 8-10 feet long for 100$. He says it has been sitting for a year and a half. Without air will the wood in the center of a bundle still be wet, or worse rotting and useless? Anybody have any experience with this type of stacking? The price suggests he may have realized he stacked it poorly and now hes trying to get rid of it. The wood has been stored inside a barn for the majority of the time so he tells me. Could it still be salvaged? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can't think of any use for 1/2" rough sawn hardwood lumber. If it was dried before it was solid packed it would be fine but if it was sold stacked wet it still needs to be dried and my be too spalted to be useable. Still what would you use that much 1/2" rough sawn wood for? Not sure it would even be useful as firewood.

Would kinda be a crap shoot of sorts. How much per bd ft is that size/species worth if it was known good wood? Figure from there, if he has say 500 bd ft total at 100 bucks that seems to me to be about 200/thousand or .20/ bd ft. If it is worth 1 buck/bd ft and you are paying .20/bd ft, you think you will be able to get at least 50 bd ft of good boards out of that stack? Anything more will be like free lumber, the way I see it anyways, unless of course there are a lot of bugs, bad stain, dry rot or other structural issues rendering the wood useless.

Since it is white oak & walnut, there will be no issues with rot, though there may be some discoloration of the white oak. It will still be green, though, and need to be stacked on stickers to air dry. So you'll need blocking to get the stack off the ground, plus enough stickers to be placed 16" apart (maximum). Air drying 1/2" lumber will be tricky, and you will likely lose a lot of the wood as it warps. You can already see the effects of the warpage on the ends of the board that extend past the bands. By the time it is dry, it will shrink to about 7/16", then planing will bring it down to 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Do you have use for lumber that thin, or know anyone who does (wood boxes and musical instrument parts come to mind)? If so, it would be a good deal. Otherwise, I'd pass.

1/2 thick doesnt leave much meat on the bone for alot of projects(that i do). that being said i think its a good buy for someone that can use that thickness.

i bet it was sawed for flooring, but stacked wrong and cut too thin.

I use 1/2'' stuff to make solid wood longboards. I don't mind cupping it's a adds a natural concave to the board. But twisted wood would be unusable. I would have to up my production process to crank out the many boards. What are they asking for it?

Mate If you had a project at home or a mate that had one in mind it could prove handy at that price
a BBQ shelter wood shed tractor , tool shed pergola what ever yeah
pick the best of them when you need them and the rest will make great kinderling for the home fire
wont any of it go to waste

Back