Would you pay extra for Hedge firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just curious , if you needed to buy firewood would you pay over market price of commonly sold firewood for good dry, all split Osage Orange firewood with no small round branch type wood?? The reason for the thread is I have over 2 face cords on CL priced that is about 30%to 50% over someone else's asking price for regular firewood depending on species.

I have had this ad up on CL for about two months with no takers. I would like to sell it but I can also sit on it till next year because it will keep. I have done similar sales in the past and gotten buyers but not this year and we have had plenty of cold weather which always good for wood sales.

Hedge is a nasty wood to sell because of it's high BTU's and throws sparks so it isn't for everyone but for a die hard wood burning person I would think they could see the value in paying more for a high BTU wood.

Am I wrong, just curious.

Big Al is right it is too high priced period. I have been selling wood for more than 40 years so have some experience. When i started I thought that it would be a part time affair since there were much competition. With weather changes some years are a sellers market and some years the buyers market. For 30 years I ran a small road building operation which actually paid the bills with some extra. Firewood has never been a real money maker in my years. Some years however netted me up to $80,000. When I have beautiful wood I look for junk to mix with it. This past year I have been working on a ranch that had 60 dead Oak trees that were really nice. So to compromise I took the misc. limbs that I wanted to get rid of and mixed it into the regular wood. So far every one really liked a little variety. I in the process I am able to make 10 cord of competitive wood sales out of 7 cord of perfect wood. Thanks

A few years back I had about 8 cords of locust to sell. Since everyone seems to be conditioned to think oak is the best, I had to give a little education to my buyers. Most of them bit and have asked for more locust every year since. If you educate your buyers, you will have better luck getting the price you desire.

Comparing btu's, Osage doesn't have 50% more BTUs than white ash so I definitely wouldnt pay 50% more.

I don't buy wood anyway, but would consider buying hedge if it was priced okay just for overnight burns.

When you start looking at oak, locust, or mulberry the BTUs start getting closer.

It definitely should command a premium. However, the amount of premium may not be commensurate with the increased amount of BTU per cord.

Oak is king and pine is trash to the average firewood buyer. Everything else is in between. But like the other guys said, the average buyer has no idea that locust and hedge puts out more heat than oak so education is key.

I used to separate hickory from the red & white Oak which is all I will process. People would not pay an extra $20 cord for all hickory so I don't separate it anymore.

I’ve never burned hedge. The closest I have is locust. I love the locust! But I wouldn’t want to only burn locust. Sometimes the lesser woods are welcome for a quicker/easier starting fire.

I don’t know why but I could have a garage full of oak and locust and I’d be scrounging around for a piece of pine or poplar to get a fire going.

To the OP’s question, I would not pay extra for all hedge. Of course I wouldn’t pay for firewood. If I had to do that I would just burn gas and electricity. It’s close to the same in price and it puts itself in the furnace.

I think the answer to the question is relative to where you live. Everybody saying "No" lives in hardwood country. A person that has red oak, white oak, locust, hickory, hard maple, and even ash is not going to pay extra for hedge (maybe a few will, but not many). A person that lives in "softwood country" (Colorado, Wyoming, etc.) will more than likely pay extra for hedge over some sort of pine.

Here's another local variable that makes me say "no". I read somewhere that mulberry is a second cousin to hedge. Both even look the same when first split (yellow inside and then turn orange in sunlight). Hedge is denser, but mulberry has very good BTU/lb properties, and around here, it's everywhere. Mulberry tends to throws sparks when burned too green, but after it dries out, it calms down. I have even had customers that request it. You can also split mulberry when green rather easily, and it dries a lot faster than oak.

' Nuff said.

Here's another local variable that makes me say "no". I read somewhere that mulberry is a second cousin to hedge. Both even look the same when first split (yellow inside and then turn orange in sunlight). Hedge is denser, but mulberry has very good BTU/lb properties, and around here, it's everywhere. Mulberry tends to throws sparks when burned too green, but after it dries out, it calms down. I have even had customers that request it. You can also split mulberry when green rather easily, and it dries a lot faster than oak.

' Nuff said.
I’ve been selling firewood in the Northern Delaware, Southeastern Pennsylvania, and Northeastern Maryland area since 1984, and have learned several things over this period regarding customer beliefs that don’t make sense and a few that do. First, as for the value of osage, one would think that its Btu content and beautiful orange color when seasoned would bring a premium. It surely will if the customer is inexperienced. If they know a little about firewood, they will know that osage orange puts out too many sparks, even if seasoned for over a year. They will also be aware of osage orange’s propensity of melting fireplace grates. Unless you, as a seller, are a bit unscrupulous, you won’t advise the purchase of this wood unless it is mixed with others, which eliminates any premium.

Second, it is true that the majority of customers, experienced or not, believe oak to be the most desirable firewood. This is where I attempt to educate them. Red oak is by far the most plentiful oak tree in this area, although there is a good bit of white and some black, scarlet, and pin oak as well. Of all the oaks, red has the lowest Btu value at 22.1 mmBtu per cord. White is the highest at 24.2. Put in perspective, white oak falls in at No 8 while red is all the way down at No. 19 in terms of heating value. In other words, there are 18 other species of tree that are more productive than red oak. This requires explanation. The best firewood is always a mix of the various oaks, beech, walnut, hickory, birch, locust, cherry, and ash supplemented by smaller amounts of osage, mulberry, holly, hornbeam (Ironwood), and red and sugar maple. I avoid inclusion of soft hardwoods such as elm, sycamore, cedar, silver maple and poplar. As a result, my firewood is highly sought after (I charge a competitive price) and I have over 125 loyal customers.

' Nuff said.
I’ve been selling firewood in the Northern Delaware, Southeastern Pennsylvania, and Northeastern Maryland area since 1984, and have learned several things over this period regarding customer beliefs that don’t make sense and a few that do. First, as for the value of osage, one would think that its Btu content and beautiful orange color when seasoned would bring a premium. It surely will if the customer is inexperienced. If they know a little about firewood, they will know that osage orange puts out too many sparks, even if seasoned for over a year. They will also be aware of osage orange’s propensity of melting fireplace grates. Unless you, as a seller, are a bit unscrupulous, you won’t advise the purchase of this wood unless it is mixed with others, which eliminates any premium.

Second, it is true that the majority of customers, experienced or not, believe oak to be the most desirable firewood. This is where I attempt to educate them. Red oak is by far the most plentiful oak tree in this area, although there is a good bit of white and some black, scarlet, and pin oak as well. Of all the oaks, red has the lowest Btu value at 22.1 mmBtu per cord. White is the highest at 24.2. Put in perspective, white oak falls in at No 8 while red is all the way down at No. 19 in terms of heating value. In other words, there are 18 other species of tree that are more productive than red oak. This requires explanation. The best firewood is always a mix of the various oaks, beech, walnut, hickory, birch, locust, cherry, and ash supplemented by smaller amounts of osage, mulberry, holly, hornbeam (Ironwood), and red and sugar maple. I avoid inclusion of soft hardwoods such as elm, sycamore, cedar, silver maple and poplar. As a result, my firewood is highly sought after (I charge a competitive price) and I have over 125 loyal customers.

Attachments

• 777705D0-A4ED-4123-BBD0-32008B97CE63.jpeg
    777705D0-A4ED-4123-BBD0-32008B97CE63.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • F0ECAF9A-5387-4691-BE58-B38CEDBCD4D2.jpeg
    F0ECAF9A-5387-4691-BE58-B38CEDBCD4D2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
  • C9CAA0E6-5320-49C2-88BD-EDF0F9DCBDC2.jpeg
    C9CAA0E6-5320-49C2-88BD-EDF0F9DCBDC2.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 19

' Nuff
Rugged Ronald Owner of 44 Hardwoods

I get weird wood every now and then. What to do with is a not any thing I think about. I can go after Avocado which is a favorite for some and some people really like it. However when I have it I mix it with Pine even though it commands a higher price. As a result I just sell Pine and Oak. Oak is the premium of the best. For most part we have white Oak and Live Oak which I can sell summer or winter. The problem is there is not enough Oak to fill every persons request so it is high priced. Pine is getting pretty easy to sell too but it is still too much work to get a real profit. However with the short term rentals wood is getting a much higher demand. Thanks

Back