Would you recommend new 353 or 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 353 i am sure is a great saw... never owned one with a 346xp top it would have to be great ....the 550mark II i have owned and would buy again ..i feel it has more power than the earlier version 550 and is a bit heavier , starts easy has great power and will run even a bit larger bar : ae a 20 if needed.... 18 preferred ...

Someone remarked about my 353 having mismatched oil and fuel caps, I see yours has the same ones as mine, reckon that's what came on them when new?
That would be me.
AS @grizz55chev said, yours are factory for the early version.
Yours has the early style on the fuel, his is the newer style and was probably swapped out at sometime.
There was also one like yours but with a green fuel cap and a cat muffler, then the newer version with a primer bulb and the newer style caps like @Wood Doctor fuel cap, but on the oil as well.
I like the primer bulb version myself, it makes starting them so easy. I ran a few tanks through one of the 550mk1's between yesterday and today, I hadn't had it out in a while, it popped on the 4th pull and was running on the 5th :clap:.

That would be me.
AS @grizz55chev said, yours are factory for the early version.
Yours has the early style on the fuel, his is the newer style and was probably swapped out at sometime.
There was also one like yours but with a green fuel cap and a cat muffler, then the newer version with a primer bulb and the newer style caps like @Wood Doctor fuel cap, but on the oil as well.
I like the primer bulb version myself, it makes starting them so easy. I ran a few tanks through one of the 550mk1's between yesterday and today, I hadn't had it out in a while, it popped on the 4th pull and was running on the 5th :clap:.
I have a 359 that has the green fuel cap but I removed the cat muffler and the Walbro carburetor for the Zama so I guess it's not an eco anymore. Kinda disappointing performance so far though..

I ran my 359 a little more today and it's doing better, maybe just needs broken in a bit..
A base gasket delete really helps the 359's, not that they are bad with just a muffler mod for firewood duties anyway.
I ran my 359 a little more today and it's doing better, maybe just needs broken in a bit..
Is it a newer saw?

Latest posts

Back