Would you repair/use this bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagraAdam

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was at the tip the other day and as I'm adding some scrap metal to the pile I look down and see a Stihl chainsaw bar sitting on the ground. I pick it up and it's a 25 inch 063 3/8 bar (and my MS361 runs 063 3/8's 20 inch now) in what looks like pretty good condition. Normally you can't take things from the pile but the attendant said "just take it" so I did. On further inspection the bar has some damage. It looks like someone pinched the bar then tried to widen the rail gap with a flat head and when that failed they tried to use an angle grinder to widen the gap and failed. Attached you can see that the rail does have a low spit where the problem is, and then the inside of the rails has been ground out to a depth of about 2mm. the undamaged part of the rails has a depth of 7mm.

I'm thinking about dressing the bar down that 2mm, then I think I'll have to lower the bottom of the groove in a long gentle sweep.

Given that I don't have any 25 inch chains currently, is it worth trying to fix this bar?

Thanks guys,

Adam

2021-06-07 12.19.59.jpg2021-06-07 12.21.25.jpg2021-06-07 12.21.48.jpg2021-06-07 12.22.31.jpg

I would, only because my neighbor has a machine shop. Other than that it’s probably 22.50 for a new tip and another 12 to fix the grooves on a 75ish dollar bar brand new.

I would, only because my neighbor has a machine shop. Other than that it’s probably 22.50 for a new tip and another 12 to fix the grooves on a 75ish dollar bar brand new.
It's a $125 bar here in Oz, and the tip seems fine to me.

How would you suggest fixing the rail? If I could fix it for under $20 then I'd be happy.

It's a $125 bar here in Oz, and the tip seems fine to me.

How would you suggest fixing the rail? If I could fix it for under $20 then I'd be happy.
My neighbor has a tool where hard metal is inserted in the groove and the outside are squeezed it can probably be done carefully with the right size sheet metal in the groove and a vise.

It is a pity that people repair or remake them without experience, then they put them on the stake. I also have two from the pile. There are theories ;-) that everything can be fixed

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_172059.jpg
    IMG_20200514_172059.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
My neighbor has a tool where hard metal is inserted in the groove and the outside are squeezed it can probably be done carefully with the right size sheet metal in the groove and a vise.
so for a pinched bar is the hard metal inserted into a section that's not pinched then slid along to widen the gap?

Yep, they are expensive out here in the colonies..... mainly because of the base colour and the black writing on them- at the end of the day it is a 20" laminated bar and a forked one at that.
Needs some dedicated love to get it back close, used to be most any saw shop had the gear to do that for you, nowadays- not so much. If you can level the rails and recut the driver groove, maybe you are on a win?
What is an Oregon bar worth, or Sugi Hara bar, or any other bar not Stihl branded worth in Tazzie?
Personally, I would have left it where you found it- if you do not run 25's already and need to buy new loops to run through a dodgy bar.

Yep, they are expensive out here in the colonies..... mainly because of the base colour and the black writing on them- at the end of the day it is a 20" laminated bar and a forked one at that.
Needs some dedicated love to get it back close, used to be most any saw shop had the gear to do that for you, nowadays- not so much. If you can level the rails and recut the driver groove, maybe you are on a win?
What is an Oregon bar worth, or Sugi Hara bar, or any other bar not Stihl branded worth in Tazzie?
Personally, I would have left it where you found it- if you do not run 25's already and need to buy new loops to run through a dodgy bar.
I'm not sure I have anywhere that sell Oregon bars or non-branded bars around here. A cheap one online is $100 with shipping.. https://www.chainsawspares.com.au/24-25-hurricane-pro-chainsaw-bar-only-for-stihl-3

IMHO
Scrap the bar the structural integrity is shot, the layer fab and welding is destroyed, now there is a weak and collapsing area there that is not worth the risk of running it on a saw.
If you do file it out to allow the chain to run through it and that area of the bar takes a hit you could hurt yourself or damage your saw.

GA Spares supply a lot of mower shops in Oz, they have sugi hara bars. If you have a local dealer it might be an option. I used to get Oregon bars from them but they aren’t listing any on their website.

Back