Would you run this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strtspdlx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went to sharpen my chain and managed to find a link that was falling apart. So I peened over the pin but I'm
Not sure if I'm supposed to have more edge to hold it. My father In-law swears you can't just buy a roll of chain and make your own. It does have Stihl stamped on the links. This is off my ms460. I think this is either A: I pieced together chain or B: just a faulty
Master link/pin. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440593032.258999.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440593040.324398.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440593048.575200.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440593056.859650.jpg

Regards-Carlo

That poor chain has seen lots of reefing !
That bar looks like it was dressed, but the tie straps and presets have taken a pounding.
Have a look at the drivers, if they are OK, then I would sharpen that chain proper and spin those rivets more so they lay flat.

That aint a Stihl link in there, but with the condition of the rest of the chain ........... you have nothing to loose.

That bar looks like it was dressed, but the tie straps and presets have taken a pounding.
Have a look at the drivers, if they are OK, then I would sharpen that chain proper and spin those rivets more so they lay flat.

That aint a Stihl link in there, but with the condition of the rest of the chain ........... you have nothing to loose.
I didn't really notice the tie straps until I took these pictures. I did dress the bar when I got the saw it was in pretty bad shape. I was going to ditch this whole setup as its only a 20" and go bigger but funds are once again not available for this type of stuff.

And what's reefing?

Regards-Carlo

It sure looks like the rakers are way low but that may just be perspective. Other than that, the chain is worn and beat up but yes I would run it. Just peen the rivets flatter.

No comment except to say, whatever that is on the left side of the pic (where the red dot is on the right) is scary!
The husqvarna saw? The Briggs motor? The only red dot I see is on the Briggs motor so what exactly is scary? Or are you referring to my chain sharpening?

Regards-Carlo

No comment except to say, whatever that is on the left side of the pic (where the red dot is on the right) is scary!
The husqvarna saw? The Briggs motor? The only red dot I see is on the Briggs motor so what exactly is scary? Or are you referring to my chain sharpening?

Regards-Carlo

Regards-Carlo

Haha! He is referring to the Gremlin to the left of the red dot.

It sure looks like the rakers are way low but that may just be perspective. Other than that, the chain is worn and beat up but yes I would run it. Just peen the rivets flatter.
I always run my rakers Way low. Everything I cut is super soft. Aside from an occasional oak.

Regards-Carlo

When you say spin the rivets does that mean I need a special tool or can I just wack it with a hammer until they're the correct shape?

Regards-Carlo

I would run it.

Peen over some rivets, clean up the cutters a bit. As mentioned before check out the drive links for excessive wear.
Other than the mismatch it looks like a typical beat up used saw chain.

Haha! He is referring to the Gremlin to the left of the red dot.
If I'm looking at what you guys are
Looking at. That would be the closure plate to the Briggs motor. I'm
Converting it from vertical shaft to horizontal in hopes of using it for a log splitter.

Regards-Carlo

I always run my rakers Way low. Everything I cut is super soft. Aside from an occasional oak.

Regards-Carlo
I am the first to advocate that you do what works for you, but I will add that running low rakers is an easy way to dull any cutter quickly as well as heat up the clutch and cause stress to the crank, chain, and AV system

There is a fine line between being too grabby and just right ............. and the wood being cut, the saw being used, the chain condition all play their parts in the end result

I am the first to advocate that you do what works for you, but I will add that running low rakers is an easy way to dull any cutter quickly as well as heat up the clutch and cause stress to the crank, chain, and AV system

There is a fine line between being too grabby and just right ............. and the wood being cut, the saw being used, the chain condition all play their parts in the end result
So in your opinion where does that line lay? I've never had noticeable bogging and I really don't push I hold it and it feeds itself for the most part. Like I said though I haven't noticed. And just because I don't notice doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Regards-Carlo

not to put words in anyones mouth, but I'm going out on a limb and saying the condition of the master link.

dull chain, as well as excessively low rakers is hard on the bar and the chain, and everything else.. for a good guide, Carlton has a brochure telling you the signs to look for.. to me it looks like the low rakers are compensating for the dull chain, the heels of the cutters are worn about to where their service limit is.. some chains have marks there to help you see the service limit, I can't see it on here, perhaps because they're worn off?

In the first picture, the cutter on the left will not cut squat, part of the reason may be your file is too big (try going to a 13/64" if yours is a 7/32"), and push downward on it for a couple strokes so the top of the cutter has some hook again.. the cutter shown in the 3rd picture is better, but has a lot of room for improvement.. Considering how far worn the chain is, the raker height probably isn't too far off

I'd call this "use at own risk"... perhaps for stumping, etc, but I wouldn't want to be piss revving that saw while limbing

Here, read this and you'll be better at sharpening for it
http://carltonproducts.com/carlton_manuals.asp

Latest posts

Back