Would you swap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
Reaction score
I am looking to get a good saw for milling and dedicated big bar work. I have my 385xp that I just put a new meteor piston in, it's a good, tight, clean saw. I haven't actually ran it that much.
However, I feel with the 24" bar, it's just too close to the power of my 372xp and 2171's. Those saws do everything I need them to, and the 385xp does the same while being a bit heavier.
I would like a saw bigger than the 385xp. Something better suited to milling and pulling a long bar. I have the 71cc saws for firewood, felling, everything else.

I've been offered (craigslist ad) a trade for my 385xp- even swap on a Husqvarna 2100cd, supposedly runs good, as well as a 2100 parts saw. Not sure on bar length on the 2100, haven't seen any pictures of it.

What do you guys think, good swap? I know the 2100 is a better mill saw, more displacement, and I like the manual oiler backup feature. However, parts are harder to come by than 385xp parts.
I sold a nice Jonsered 920 because it was so close to the 385xp in power, heavier, and parts were harder to find.

I own a 385XP, and I just love it.
That does not really matter, what I would be worried about is Milling is hard on a saw, and parts will be hard to find for the 2100.

jmho

Ok, two votes no.
I don't really love the 385xp. It's a good saw and all, but I'd grab my 372xp 9 times out of 10 before the 385xp for most of what I do.
The deal does include a 2100 parts saw too, but no idea what parts it already had picked from it.
I'm also within easy driving distance to a wicked good chainsaw shop that has lots of old saw parts (the chainsawr) but then again, no guarantees, no new OEM parts like the 385.

Best of both worlds, can you keep your 385 and still buy/trade for the 2100?
That I would like!
Or maybe just buy the parts 2100 depending on what it needs.
Little short on saw cash at the moment, have a big canoe trip that'll take all summer so funds are going to that. Buying it is probably out of the question...
I could just wait for a big saw to come along, but they don't seem that common in my area...

Really want a saw that will run a 36" bar and mill with a 36" bar consistently. I'm afraid that would tear the 385 apart...
What I really want is a 395xp....

Thing is, I have never paid very much for any of my saws. I paid $300 for the 385xp and the guy threw in a pile of Stihl 028's and parts. Sold a few, got my money back out of the deal.
Maybe I'll just save the money from selling the smaller saws and use that for a nice one.
Saws are just a hobby for me, if I break even on them, good. If not, oh well, but I don't usually spend alot on them.

Put your 385 in the trading post for a 394/5 trade. May come up with something. A 385/390 isn't happy milking with a 36". I've tried it. Now I won't go over 28" on the 385 to mill. The 088 gets broke out after that.

Well, finally got my milling saw!
Bought a 395xp "project saw" from the trading post here. Needed a few parts, had a few small issues.
I know I said I wanted a 36" bar, but I bought a 32" GB CN40 Ti and chain combo from Left coast supply. At $67, I wasn't gonna turn that down. What's 4 inches between friends, eh? ;)

What do you think about the break in the case right above the oil fill? Good spot for a muffler mod? I don't know if I want to or not on this saw, might make it unpleasant to mill with.

Also, my Girlfriend bought me a 36" Granberg Alaskan MK3 for my birthday :D

[photo="medium"]2005[/photo]
[photo="medium"]2006[/photo]
[photo="medium"]2008[/photo]

Don't put a port there. It will heat up the mill and bounce more heat back into the saw.

Well, finally got my milling saw!
Bought a 395xp "project saw" from the trading post here. Needed a few parts, had a few small issues.
I know I said I wanted a 36" bar, but I bought a 32" GB CN40 Ti and chain combo from Left coast supply. At $67, I wasn't gonna turn that down. What's 4 inches between friends, eh? ;)

What do you think about the break in the case right above the oil fill? Good spot for a muffler mod? I don't know if I want to or not on this saw, might make it unpleasant to mill with.

Also, my Girlfriend bought me a 36" Granberg Alaskan MK3 for my birthday :D

[photo="medium"]2005[/photo] [photo="medium"]2006[/photo] [photo="medium"]2008[/photo]

I like everything about this post!

Sold my 67 f100 last spring, just didn't drive it enough. Missed it pretty bad the other day.

How did the canoe trip go?

I like everything about this post!

Sold my 67 f100 last spring, just didn't drive it enough. Missed it pretty bad the other day.

How did the canoe trip go?

Canoe trip was amazing!
Then we topped it off by hiking Vermont's Long Trail, 273 miles down the spine of the Green mountains, Canadian border to Massachusetts border, just got back last week.
Been a busy summer for sure!

That's a '76 F250 highboy. 390V8, 4 speed, 36" tires. It's a bit rough, but I love it. Didn't drive it all summer, now it's gonna get parked soon.
[photo="medium"]1046[/photo]

Not bad... but 4 inches between some "friends" is a lot...:oops:

Yup, haha :laugh:

The way I see it, I got a good deal on the 32". I'd spend more to get a 36" and not gain alot of cut width on the mill. If I wanted to max the mill out, 36" cut, I'd need a 42" bar. So I might look for a 42" now, but I think the 32" will handle the majority of what I'll be cutting.
I'm at 24" cut width now. If I took the bucking spikes off, I could get 26" no problem, maybe another 2" if I adjust it out a bit more on the tip.
See, there's the 4 inches ;) lose the spikes, adjust on the tip :D

Don't put a port there. It will heat up the mill and bounce more heat back into the saw.

I actually didn't think about it like that. I thought it would direct alot of noise and some exhaust while milling.
Guess I won't muffler mod it there. Thought it'd be cool with the break in the case, be unique. All the other 395xp DP mufflers I've seen added the port in front of the original one.

Is there much to be gained from a muffler mod/base gasket delete only on a 395 anyways?

I think you made a great choice. The 395 is a strong saw.

Thanks!
I wanted a 395 because it's modern, parts are available, and I felt it was more "usable" for other things besides milling, than say a 3120, 088, 076 or one of the other big gun saws. Although it's still pretty heavy!

Latest posts

Back